OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 152  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:22 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I was thinking back on some dogs I've had. Some are just incessant chewers. My first dog ever was insane. She ate holes in rugs, ate the wooden leg off a large chair (we called it Ahab after that), chewed holes in walls, etc. My mother would get these 3' long rawhide bones at flea markets and the dog would plow through one per week! I'm not exaggerating. The final straw- we went on vacation and she couldn't come. We took my mother's minivan and my father's Chrysler New Yorker stayed in the garage with the dog (parents wouldn't let her stay in the house for fear of what she'd chew in there). What could she chew on a car??? The neighbor we paid to walk her every few hours called one day- crying. He said "there are obvious bite marks in the car's tires, but, umm, I don't know how to explain this, ummm, she ate the vinyl ROOF off one entire side of the car." Here's the car type/year- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 8482089628).jpg
So that vinyl, fake convertible roof? Most of it was gone, along with the rubbery padding underneath. We came home from vacation and my father brought her to the pound. I think the car damage was like $2k and my father is insane about his cars. You can't eat or drink in them. You can't even open a window "because that's how DIRT gets in!" So we all knew that dog was gone before we got home.

But she was also our first dog, and I wonder if we could have broken her of it if we knew what we were doing.

Later I had an akita that chewed a LOT when he was a pup, including my head. I literally woke up one morning to him chewing the back of my head. He also chewed a wall. Middle of the wall, just, made a hole... Thankfully he stopped chewing stuff pretty early on.

One of our current dogs chewed brick when we met him in the rescue. :roll:

I learned to take whatever they're chewing, say NO and then give them something they're allowed to chew.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Our Husky mix chewed a giant hole in our pillow-top mattress (we still have it but thankfully it's in the guest room now), a few articles of clothing, and various pieces of furniture, some of which we still have. Thankfully she grew out of it, but just the other day she did something she hasn't done in YEARS, stole food off the table when we weren't looking.

Thankfully I haven't yet had a dog who chewed through walls or crazy shit like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:06 pm 

Huskies are bat shit crazy. My brother had one that used to do all kinds of spiteful shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:35 pm 
OTPoliceman

Chris18 wrote:
Huskies are bat shit crazy. My brother had one that used to do all kinds of spiteful shit.

Agreed. My oldest daughter's dog is a mix of border collie and husky. Which means she's a bright dog but half crazy.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:41 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Our Golden, who turned 12 weeks today, has chewed the kitchen chair legs, the sofa already has the white fluff interior coming out, and like Eric, the peeing is driving me nuts.

Both my wife and I have grown up with dogs, also Golden's, but it's been awhile and I totally forgot how much like babies they really are.
My wife, son and I are all home because of Covid and can't imagine what it would have been like if we were all at work and school.

The only plus is after about 9 months, Golden's really are obedient and just a lot of fun, but right now, its tough.

Chris, you totally have it right when you said anyone who hasn't had kids, needs to have a puppy to see what it can be like.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:44 pm 
OTP Historian

Where's your daughter right now, Scott?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:02 am 

Bosc wrote:

She's living with her boyfriend, (soon to be fiance, just waiting to finish out school), in Toronto, as they moved in together last year. She's finished three years of university at Guelph, with one more to go, but thinks she may want to get into law.

Its amazing how fast time flies, as I remember when you were at my 40th birthday party which is now almost 11 years ago and she would have been 11 and my son was only 4! She is now 22 and my son will be 15 in 2 months.

Hell, you're even in the old man hockey league with me now! :lol:

Speaking of which, how old is your daughter now?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:20 am 
OTP Historian

Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

She's living with her boyfriend, (soon to be fiance, just waiting to finish out school), in Toronto, as they moved in together last year. She's finished three years of university at Guelph, with one more to go, but thinks she may want to get into law.

Its amazing how fast time flies, as I remember when you were at my 40th birthday party which is now almost 11 years ago and she would have been 11 and my son was only 4! She is now 22 and my son will be 15 in 2 months.

Yeah I remember that. Time's going by so fast. I still remember that full prime rib your wife had a pain sourcing(was it from Costco?) and made...it was amazing.

Do you like her soon-to-be fiance? :) Good for her!

And yeah, I joined the league fresh out of school in 2005!

Leila's 5 and Hannah's 3 now.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Yeah I remember that. Time's going by so fast. I still remember that full prime rib your wife had a pain sourcing(was it from Costco?) and made...it was amazing.

Do you like her soon-to-be fiance? :) Good for her!

And yeah, I joined the league fresh out of school in 2005!

Leila's 5 and Hannah's 3 now.

To be honest, I think she got it from a butcher, but I'm not sure. Yeah, she has always been an incredible cook and cook all kinds of dishes, as my waist line will tell you. :lol:

Actually we hated her boyfriend before this guy. My daughter is very goal oriented and hard working and this guy was lazy, sponging off my daughter and had the personality of a turnip. We absolutely love the new guy. They have been dating two and a half years and he's hard working, loves our daughter, family oriented. While nobody's perfect, I and my wife are very happy for them.

Wow Jeff, your two daughters have grown with the first one already in school, and the second not to far behind. So nice to see! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm 
OTP Historian

Scott 679 wrote:
To be honest, I think she got it from a butcher, but I'm not sure. Yeah, she has always been an incredible cook and cook all kinds of dishes, as my waist line will tell you. :lol:

Actually we hated her boyfriend before this guy. My daughter is very goal oriented and hard working and this guy was lazy, sponging off my daughter and had the personality of a turnip. We absolutely love the new guy. They have been dating two and a half years and he's hard working, loves our daughter, family oriented. While nobody's perfect, I and my wife are very happy for them.

Wow Jeff, your two daughters have grown with the first one already in school, and the second not to far behind. So nice to see! :)

Nice, glad she got a better dude!

Yeah she's in JK and was enjoying it a lot. She misses her friends and teachers but I can see the progression she's making with her math and reading every day. The websites that they have are really engaging for her and we spend close to an hour every day with either math or reading or both.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm 
OTP Historian

Ate too many fucking Easter gummies and now I feel sick :lol: :x

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:

Right now you can order Cadbury Cream Eggs at about 70 cents each on the Canadian Tire website and they'll hold them at your nearest CT for you. I know someone who bought 80 of them to last "the next month or two."

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 am 

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Right now you can order Cadbury Cream Eggs at about 70 cents each on the Canadian Tire website and they'll hold them at your nearest CT for you. I know someone who bought 80 of them to last "the next month or two."

Related to that, most home workout equipment is out of stock with back orders projected through July.

I wonder if people are going to gain so much weight that we slow down the Earth's rotation. :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:10 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

This is me when I get on fudgecicle and popsicle cravings. I'll go through a box of 24-30 in 2 weeks eating 2 a day.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:

Nice, glad she got a better dude!

Yeah she's in JK and was enjoying it a lot. She misses her friends and teachers but I can see the progression she's making with her math and reading every day. The websites that they have are really engaging for her and we spend close to an hour every day with either math or reading or both.

That's awesome Jeff!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:37 pm 

I thought it was Thursday. Finding out it's only Wednesday ruined my day.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

One day further from death. Seems like a plus to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

One day further from death. Seems like a plus to me.

Death is abstract. The weekend is concrete as a motherfucker! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 pm 

Got the pool opened and was all excited to relax in the hot tub tonight, after fighting with nasty algae in the water for a few days. Aaaaaand now, there's thunder and hail on the way. F you weather! :doom:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

On a Twitter tip from Ryan Kesler this morning, I made the mistake of taking a deep dive in the rabbit-hole that is Dustin Penner's Twitter feed :steamingpileofcrap: ... :shock: Never again...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 152  Next