OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:11 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Lou Ottens, Dutch engineer who is credited with the invention of the cassette tape, died earlier this month at the age of 94.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts ... he%20world.

He outlived his revolutionary invention by about two decades. He contributed to their eventual obsolescence by working on the Compact Disc, which is in an of itself a little outmoded these days.

I still kinda miss cassettes--I used them to an insane degree growing up.

I loved tapes. Tape shit off the radio, high speed dual cassette decks for copying albums from friends, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:09 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
Lou Ottens, Dutch engineer who is credited with the invention of the cassette tape, died earlier this month at the age of 94.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts ... he%20world.

He outlived his revolutionary invention by about two decades. He contributed to their eventual obsolescence by working on the Compact Disc, which is in an of itself a little outmoded these days.

I still kinda miss cassettes--I used them to an insane degree growing up.

I am still partial to vinyl and shellac, I have roughly 1,500 vinyl albums and 78's, but agree wholeheartedly that tape and CD's have their place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:56 am 

"Marvelous" Marvin Hagler dead at age 66.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/sport/ma ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Damn, a couple very good actors left us.

George Segal, who most recently played "Pops" on The Goldbergs, passes away at 87. That one kinda hits hard because the relationship his character had with his grandson growing up in the 80s somewhat mirrors the one I had with my grandfather back in the day.

Jessica Walter, who might have been one of the greatest comedic actresses of all time, passes away at the age of 80. She was preceded in death by her husband, award-winning actor Ron Liebman, who passed away in 2019.

Of all the phenomenal moments she gave us as Lucille Bluth, who is most definitely one of my favorite TV characters EVER, all the Gene Parmesan scenes absolutely SLAY me even though I've seen them a thousand times.

If you haven't watched Arrested Development, sit the hell down and do so, first three seasons at least. Maybe if you want try out the revival they did (season 4) on Netflix, give it a go--it's nowhere near as good but there are some fun moments. But go no further--that's right around the time the character and actress stopped being paid any sort of respect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

https://twitter.com/SadClubCommish/stat ... 6409711618

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm 

Walter Mondale, who unfortunately was on the receiving end of one of the worst electoral defeats in American history, is dead at 93.

It's sad to look back on that 1984 election, because it wasn't just the defeat of an unapologetically liberal idealist, but it felt like a repudiation of everything he represented. The Democrats have been steadfastly afraid of going way left ever since. It's only now after three fucking decades of Reaganomics that we're kind of realizing that maybe, just maybe, Walter was right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm 

Michael Collins, who crewed the first-ever successful mission to the Moon, is dead at 90. Now only Colonel Buzz Aldrin remains with us among that historic trio.

Collins took quite possibly the most amazing photo in history. It's all the more astounding that he's not in it. Because in this photo, we're looking at every human to ever live from the dawn of time up until, well, now, except for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:38 pm 
OTP Historian

RIP.

That photo...man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33