OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Wow... Did you pay full pop for that? Haven't heard any good things about it.

We rented out the theatre for a work function. Frankly it was dirt cheap given how many people we had in it. Obviously we had to come in with masks and did the whole social distance thing, but it was still fun.

Honestly, I appreciated the wildly ambitious plot. It was unwieldy and led to some bad moments but I've sat through FAR worse movies (Man of Steel is still a giant pile of overwrought, directionless shit, and WW84 was still much better). Also, there's some weird over-analysis of the plot that I find annoying. I get the whole notion of an Israeli actress beating up on nondescript Arab soldiers is not great optics, but fucking hell people I don't think it was meant as some overt political statement. If nothing else the unnecessary Cairo sidebar was just an elaborate excuse for Wonder Woman to break out the Invisible Jet. Also, people don't like the fact that WW has sex with Steve Trevor while he's in another man's body. This isn't real life people, we don't need to make some weird rape culture reference here...Jesus H. Christ.

Also, I think the over-the-top vitriol is coming because it's a female-centric superhero movie directed and co-written by a woman.

All I'll say is that it is at worst, a mediocre film. Usually I mean that as a damning statement, but in this case I just thought the movie was...okay. I don't regret seeing it. Believe me, I'd say so if I thought that, because lately I've watched a lot of horseshit films that make me wish I had that 2 hour span back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I pretty much agree with all that. It was okay but sloppy, surprisingly I found the direction to be it's biggest failure. The problem with going for a corny 80's TV show feel which I think they did is unless you are going full blown comedy I believe you are just going to be left coming off as well corny.

Oh and definitely there was some extra vitriol thrown it's way due to woman lead and direction, but that is the norm. If it was good they would have stayed in their cave, but it wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Thanks to both of you. I'll keep an eye out for this on the already-paid-for streaming channels moving forward because I'm too cheap to pay for it on top of that. I have no problem with female superheroes; Captain Marvel was actually pretty good, IMO. And Gal Gadot is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I'll keep an eye out for this on the already-paid-for streaming channels moving forward because I'm too cheap to pay for it on top of that. I have no problem with female superheroes; Captain Marvel was actually pretty good, IMO. And Gal Gadot is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

Yeah, don't forget Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal, who play good villains, largely because neither of them are particularly evil--just two wildly insecure people who are desperately trying to prove to the world they're not losers. If the movie had maybe followed that particular theme a little closer and not so much this "truth" thing, I think it would've been a lot more successful. The script lets all these fine actors down a bit, and I'll agree with Craig insofar that Jenkins has proven she can make a good fight scene--but the ones in this movie don't quite work like the ones in WW1 (pun intended).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
WW1 (pun intended).

Pun as in Wonder Woman 1 (first movie) and World War 1? If so it doesn't work because Wonder Woman 1 was set in World War 2.

I haven't seen WW84 yet, but I read all these potential spoilers. Still want to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

WW1 was indeed during WW1, the trench scene is the most memorable scene.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Hounsy wrote:
WW1 was indeed during WW1, the trench scene is the most memorable scene.

Alright, I'm wrong. I guess I just ASSumed she was fighting nazis like she did on the show.

And in that case, pun well played!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29