OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Agreed about Queen's Gambit: looked great, well acted, interesting story, but it was merely a good watch. Nice show to binge on a weekend, but I can't say it was anything more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:43 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
Also, went on Erik’s recommendation of Ted Lasso. I love it thus far and the fact it has so much genuine heart it’s a nice balm for otherwise depressing days.

My brother got me on to Ted Lasso, love it for the same reasons as you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Scott 679 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Also, went on Erik’s recommendation of Ted Lasso. I love it thus far and the fact it has so much genuine heart it’s a nice balm for otherwise depressing days.

My brother got me on to Ted Lasso, love it for the same reasons as you.

It's corny, I know it's corny, but I couldn't help but fall for its charms. Sometimes I just wanna watch something cheesy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The fact they're going for such pure sentiment without diving straight into "This Is Us"-level schmaltz is quite something. It still somehow manages to be clever at times, and that's allowed me to buy into the heretofore ridiculous notion of an American football coach being hired to run a Premier League soccer club. I mean, how many shows based off an advertising campaign have actually worked?

EDIT: Geez, this ad is seven years old!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:52 pm 

The Haunting of Bly Manor
Pretty good thus far, we're only one episode away from being done with this mini-series (it's only nine parts). Took a good long while to get going, but I like it now. Still nowhere near as good as the first Haunting series, but both stories have been good about balancing the scares with some unspeakably tragic melodrama.

Utopia
In an age when conspiracy theorists are threatening to derail our political discourse, this particular series is ill-timed (even though it depicts a plague hitting the United States in an uncomfortably prophetic way). Only two episodes in and the show has already delivered one major shock. Going to stick with it because it has John Cusack and Rainn Wilson, and those two guys are good in almost everything they do. Still on the fence on this one though.

Kim's Convenience
I can't remember if I mentioned this show before but it's nice to see a show centered around a Korean-Canadian family with all the melodrama that entails. Only about a season-and-a-half in, but the main subplot with the eldest child and family patriarch estranged from one another hits really close to home, as I have had very icy relations with my own Korean mother for a long time. Unfortunately that isn't uncommon at all in Korean families.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm 

War of the Worlds

It's been awhile since I've seen a show that leaves me constantly all tensed up. Thought this would be some cheezy crap like Tom Cruise put out but very happily surprised about it. Only on the 4th show now but looking forward to many more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 pm 
Big in Japan

How to with John Wilson on HBO is amazing. Train of thought observational humor told with untold amounts of candid NYC footage. EPd by Nathan Fielder, and it's a less mocking version of Nathan for You. Wilson's camera goes in all sorts of unexpected directions. Weirdly poignant look at modern life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:19 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'm a few (6? 8?) episodes in on Brave New World and it's lost me completely... I have no idea what it's trying to communicate and it's just boring now...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I'm a few (6? 8?) episodes in on Brave New World and it's lost me completely... I have no idea what it's trying to communicate and it's just boring now...

They canceled it, so you should probably just bail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35