OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am 
King of Men

So The Tea Party is on tour through Canada March through May.

I am going to see them.....so I suppose its just picking a spot.

https://teaparty.com/

They are hitting a few towns in the Us that are Canadian already (Buffalo, Seattle and the obligatory San Fran/LA scene). I saw them in LA last year so not really into that.

Not really into Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal (oh how I love you) or Ontario in general. But I am interested in Winnipeg, Regina, Kamloops, Kelowna, Victoria and Saskatoon. Halifax would be pretty badass too.

Any recommendations from the Canadians on which to visit?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 am 
Big in Japan

St-Eustache, Quebec! Rocking the sticks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm 

You driving or flying?

Avoid Regina, its the butthole of Canada. Saskatoon though is quite nice. Halifax is the friendliest of all Canadian cities after St. John's but a mammoth drive for you. If you're driving I'd suggest Kelowna, very pretty town and it would give you a chance to drive through the Kootenay's. From the little I know of you I think you would love this area of Canada. So much you might even consider it for your retirement homestead.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm 
King of Men

Thank you! Halifax would be nice I have a buddy who lives up in Maine so we would fly in there. Still might look at Bangor as I have very distant ancestry on the french side in Bingham ME and I would like to track them.

Depending on the cost we would probably fly into BC/Sask/Manitoba. The old girl does have a nice touring vehicle but 22 hours to Kelowna is a little out of my patience range. Looks like Kelowna is about 860 driving miles from PR where I could take the ferry to Sitka. Not exactly close but it is doable. Flights to Kelowna are suprisingly cheap from Denver ($250). Looks to be 4 hours from Vancouver.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm 

22 hours is a good day's driving for me when I was in my 20's. These days anything over 14 is too much. Did Seattle to Dallas once in 45 hours with a buddy spelling me off for about 5 hours a day.

Seriously the Kootenay's are the most beautiful place in North America and well worth slowing down and touring through. Although the trudge through western Colorado, Wyoming and southern Idaho would be a bit of bore.

Kelowna to Prince Rupert is probably a 14 or 15 hour drive. From Quesnel to Prince Rupert is pretty boring as well.

Vancouver is about 4.5 hours. If you do Kelowna I'd recommend you take a half day and rent bikes and tour Myra Canyon. When it was built it was considered to be the 2nd most difficult piece of railway engineering in the world. Something like 18 trestle bridges, two tunnels in about 12 kms. And the scenery is great.

https://www.myratrestles.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 am 
King of Men

Well I started telling old girl about it and she says....I already bought the show tickets in Calgary for Christmas....oops.....West jet started going there so hopefully the tickets are cheap. So Calgary it is on Friday May 3rd. Have to reach the 2nd round to see the Flames though.

When I was younger I drove from Burlington VT to Prince Rupert BC....taking the tour across Canada was pretty neat got to see Drumheller, the Columbia Ice Field and Banff so that was cool. I was young so I didn't particularly appreciate it as I should. I also drove from Burlington VT to Denver up through Canada and down through the 401. Those are trips I am NOT interested in any longer unless I have an RV. I top out at around 6 or 7 hours at this point. Probably the reason I don't drive up to Calgary.

I think we talked about train trips elsewhere as well. Have you folks done this?

Kelowna does look nice....I did some real estate scouting and its price comparative to Denver right now......no acreage I could find readily though. Definitely a place I'd like to visit and experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 pm 

Burlington to PR is a massive drive, I'd guess 5 days. Northern Ontario is pretty but it just goes on for what seems like forever. Good you got to see the Columbia icefields when you did, they're retreating as faster then my hairline did in my 30's.

Kelowna is really nice. Prices are cheaper an hour north in Vernon though. Kelowna, is hot in the summer and pretty mild winters. Great wine country, and good hiking and skiing close by, And dry and more hours of sunshine annually then anywhere else in North America (surprising, but long Canadian summer days in a near desert climate will do it.)

If you like hiking, mountain biking, skiing suggest you do a home, acerage price check for the following. Grad Forks, Slocan, Trail, Castelgar, and Creston. You'll find the prices much more to your liking than Kelowna. And if the wife still wants the city/airport connections Spokane is only a couple hours away.