OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:42 pm 
Old Man of the Post

... But this is easily the biggest one, at 6'9", 270 lbs...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Losing Chara may have been a mistake, but then to let Redden walk AND trade Mezsaros was beyond stupid. Murray is either a fool to think that Filip Kuba and a badly inexperienced Brian Lee could anchor his offense, or he just wants a ticket out of Ottawa. If the latter is the case, he must be disappointed his boss is too stupid to fire him.

If Murray ends up in the dealing mood I would readily dump Brett Clark, Ryan Smyth, and a few marginal prospects like Chris Stewart his way for Dany Heatley. I'm sure others would offer better stuff though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

Quote:
Before the free-agency period began on July 1, Muckler apparently came close to a deal to acquire goalie Vesa Toskala and two players from the San Jose Sharks for forwards Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski.

Aw shit...that there most certainly would've had a greater impact on the Sens' fortunes than Chara or Redden.

After reading and digesting that article I can see why Mucks chose Redden. It may have been a mistake in hindsight but the article hinges a bit too much on that--it was the stupid-ass mistakes Murray made there afterwards to compound that mistake that has the Sens pegged as the worst offensive team in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
Before the free-agency period began on July 1, Muckler apparently came close to a deal to acquire goalie Vesa Toskala and two players from the San Jose Sharks for forwards Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski.

Aw shit...that there most certainly would've had a greater impact on the Sens' fortunes than Chara or Redden.

After reading and digesting that article I can see why Mucks chose Redden. It may have been a mistake in hindsight but the article hinges a bit too much on that--it was the stupid-ass mistakes Murray made there afterwards to compound that mistake that has the Sens pegged as the worst offensive team in the NHL.

That deal eventually happened, just with Priessing and that prospect that never panned out instead of Toskala. If that trade had happened before Jan 1, then Chara easily could've been re-signed. I think what can be taken from this is that Muckler got burned trying to sign both of them rather than choosing one over the other... he chose to sign the one that was easier to sign first rather than the other way around, which yes was a mistake in hindsight. I always had the impression that Redden was the "easier" one to sign and that's why that was what happened. The Chara negotiations got difficult, the Redden one went well, and Redden was signed as a result. This version is just a "what an idiot Muckler was according to Bryan Murray" version of the same story.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

saskhab wrote:
I think what can be taken from this is that Muckler got burned trying to sign both of them rather than choosing one over the other... he chose to sign the one that was easier to sign first rather than the other way around, which yes was a mistake in hindsight. I always had the impression that Redden was the "easier" one to sign and that's why that was what happened. The Chara negotiations got difficult, the Redden one went well, and Redden was signed as a result.

I can empathize this, because it's basically just "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush." As a workplace strategy we are encouraged to first tackle the tasks we can handle, so if Muckler genuinely believed both could be re-signed, and if not, then only Redden was a sure thing, I can see why he did it. Really that would make Chara's will the X-factor which was out of his control. And if both had walked away, that would be worse.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:25 am 

Eliminated!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273331

Y'know the Sens just dug their grave that much deeper. Instead of tanking like they should they got red hot at the end of the season which only earns them a mid-round pick. Way to go Murray. Something tells me he'll actually keep his job after this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Eliminated!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273331

Y'know the Sens just dug their grave that much deeper. Instead of tanking like they should they got red hot at the end of the season which only earns them a mid-round pick. Way to go Murray. Something tells me he'll actually keep his job after this.

Getting a good pick is definitely a high priority, but getting a good coach is as well. The fact is, the Sens do have a number of high picks on their roster already (Spezza, Heatley, Phillips, now Leclaire)... so adding another high pick is no guarantee of anything. He also added Campoli, who is a good cheap 23 year old d-man who looks ready to step up as a legit top 4 guy.

However, I still agree that Murray has screwed the pooch with this club. They can blame Muckler all they want, but Murray made consecutive poor coaching hires and allowed bad habits to form with some of their key players when he was behind the bench (Emery, Spezza). They can fix this problem internally, but it won't be easy.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb