OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 am 
Big in Japan

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/for ... -accident/

Really sad. Ray was a true character and great for the league at the height of his game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm sorry, I can't gloss over it, even in these circumstances--Emery was arrested in October for allegedly assaulting Keshia Chante, his ex-fiancee, and it doesn't sound like this was an isolated incident either when you read details from the report. Not sure whatever came of the charges.

His penchant for bad behavior on the ice may have understandably endeared him to fans, but his bad behavior off of it shouldn't be ignored.

He was a troubled man, of this we can have no doubt. In death I hope he at least has found the peace that apparently eluded him in life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 pm 
OTP Clown

It would have been nicer to read some sort of Theo Fleury redemption story about this man in 20 years.

Alas, he didn't have the chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

He was a troubled man for sure. We need to better understand his history and the circumstances that clearly led to some bad decision making.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 pm 

I'm particularly conflicted because I do believe there's a double standard when it comes to white hockey players vs. black hockey players and how any poor judgment off the ice is received. I think Patrick Kane is a slimeball of the lowest order, but even I was all "He should get a second chance" after the cab driver incident. That went away when the rape allegations and his pattern of violence toward women came to light, but I feel like he was given far more leeway than either Evander Kane or Ray Emery.

That all said, I'm not about to just ignore what E. Kane has done, and the same applies to Emery.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm particularly conflicted because I do believe there's a double standard when it comes to white hockey players vs. black hockey players and how any poor judgment off the ice is received. I think Patrick Kane is a slimeball of the lowest order, but even I was all "He should get a second chance" after the cab driver incident. That went away when the rape allegations and his pattern of violence toward women came to light, but I feel like he was given far more leeway than either Evander Kane or Ray Emery.

That all said, I'm not about to just ignore what E. Kane has done, and the same applies to Emery.
Very interesting thought. Seems like in the end, they just lawyered up to beat the charges. Could be racially charged with biased media reporting (fully believe this exists even if the bias is implicit) -- could also be a pro sports / money / power / dirt bag man thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:18 am 
Big in Japan

I'd honestly forgotten about the assault charge, and even though the article briefly touched upon his off-ice issues they didn't mention it. Didn't mean to minimize it when calling him an interesting dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:21 am 

E.L. wrote:
I'd honestly forgotten about the assault charge, and even though the article briefly touched upon his off-ice issues they didn't mention it. Didn't mean to minimize it when calling him an interesting dude.

I know, you're a journalist so I've no doubt you value the facts in an age where they seem to be in increasingly shorter supply. And to be honest the assault story isn't that easy to find.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
know, you're a journalist so I've no doubt you value the facts in an age where they seem to be in increasingly shorter supply. And to be honest the assault story isn't that easy to find.
You're a journalist E.L.? Had a hunch. Amazing. Where could we find your work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
You're a journalist E.L.? Had a hunch. Amazing. Where could we find your work?

Right here!

https://montrealgazette.com/author/eleijon

I highly recommend the scathing review of Justin Timberlake's show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm 

A devastating long-form article on the rise, fall, comeback, and troubled times of Ray Emery.

https://theathletic.com/813857/2019/02/ ... ray-emery/

The article goes into detail of what went down that fateful day, as well as his upbringing and some of the problems that temporarily ended his NHL career and plagued him later in life. I highly recommend it.