OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: The Sens are Blowing It
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

And Heeeeeeeeere we go!

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ ... er-changes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Can't believe how quickly this went to shit. They were supposed to find a way to contend while they still had Karlsson. Now they're forced to kick start a rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 pm 

They'll probably just do another "re-tool" and keep Karlsson when they should be pulling the plug. Of course I'm not sure at this point that even Melnyk is calling all the shots now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

Does Melnyk simply not fucking understand that up isn't the only direction that a team can take every single year?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Does Melnyk simply not fucking understand that up isn't the only direction that a team can take every single year?

I think from what we know about Melnyk he is very much the embodiment of willful ignorance. And boy is he ever willful.

Not surprising that he's a Trump supporter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm 

I found Bobby Ryan's new gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HUJKRM/re ... 3478313675

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pm 
Big in Japan

One good thing in Ottawa this season is Chabot finally grabbing a full-time spot. He's no Karlsson, but if they need to trade him, Chabot will have to become a no. 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:53 pm 

According to Friedman's 31 Thoughts (article AND podcast) Dorion went into the locker room soon after their dismal showing against the Blues and confronted his players, and apparently they gave it right back. So I guess it went better than the Cleveland Cavaliers' recent closed-door meeting, but that ain't sayin' much.

Also, I'm told Karlsson made some pointed comments to the press recently but can't find the link.

Lastly, it looks like there is a tentative deal in place for the Sens to move downtown. Hopefully by the time the team moves in, Melnyk will be long, long gone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Karlsson never wanted to leave, but still might. Happy happy times in Ottawa.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/eri ... ted-leave/

How much to keep in him in dodge? Player max is $15M x 8 years. I suspect it might approach that. Karlsson wants to get paid.

Of all the floundering teams that could use Dahlin, Ottawa might benefit from winning the lottery more than most.

The again, the owner might want to tear it all apart.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

This just reads like one long sad trombone

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan ... -1.1080605

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm 
Big in Japan

If Ryan and Anderson can rebound even just a little things won't be so dire next season. Duchene too ended up having a better time fitting in here than Turris in Nashville, we're he's seemingly buried.

Chabot's a future star and White too maybe. I can't stand Stone and Hoffman, which means they're probably good.

Plucked a good one in Wolanin too, but they need to get Methot back or someone steady to play with Karlsson.

What's the deal with Gabbo? Actually scored a bit in Ottawa.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

E.L. wrote:
If Ryan and Anderson can rebound even just a little things won't be so dire next season. Duchene too ended up having a better time fitting in here than Turris in Nashville, we're he's seemingly buried.

Chabot's a future star and White too maybe. I can't stand Stone and Hoffman, which means they're probably good.

Plucked a good one in Wolanin too, but they need to get Methot back or someone steady to play with Karlsson.

What's the deal with Gabbo? Actually scored a bit in Ottawa.

Well, not to look a gift horse in the mouth since Sam Girard alone makes the trade almost a steal by himself, but I could see the Sens having another surprising resurgence and bumping that 2019 draft pick into the lower non-lottery portion of the standings. Even so, a 1st is a 1st and the Avs better get full value out of it.

At the very least, Craig Anderson will need to be at least halfway decent, but at 37 I don't know how much he has left in the tank. Even if Condon finds HIS form again, he's not good enough to be a starter. And while I remain a big Matty Duchene fan, he's not the elite gamebreaker I think the Sens want him to be. He is a very good player, but not quite on that level. And then of course there's the whole Karlsson situation...no idea how that one will unfold.

As for Gaborik and Ryan, unless they start wrapping Bobby's hands in chain mail and Gabby in bubble wrap both those guys are gonna miss a ton of time once again. And as much as I like Pageau, it's a bit much to ask him to really be a top-six forward.

Colin White and Thomas Chabot might be ace prospects, but they also don't strike me as big-time stars. There's also big Logan Brown, who looks ready to make the jump. Rumor has it that the Avs passing him up in the draft in favor of Tyson Jost was one big reason Patrick Roy left the organization less than two months later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm 

Let's review...

1. Eugene Melnyk publicly criticizes fans, threatens to move the team at what was supposed to be a goodwill PR event in front of the nation's capital.

2. Assistant GM Randy Lee jailed and charged with sexual misconduct.

3. Sens merchandise made for babies recalled due to risk of asphyxiation.

4. Erik Karlsson's wife files for a restraining order against Mike Hoffman's girlfriend due to a prolonged harrassment campaign waged by the former using burner social media accounts. There's also an ongoing police investigation.

THIS is the organization you wanted to be traded to, Matt!?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Let's review...

1. Eugene Melnyk publicly criticizes fans, threatens to move the team at what was supposed to be a goodwill PR event in front of the nation's capital.

2. Assistant GM Randy Lee jailed and charged with sexual misconduct.

3. Sens merchandise made for babies recalled due to risk of asphyxiation.

4. Erik Karlsson's wife files for a restraining order against Mike Hoffman's girlfriend due to a prolonged harrassment campaign waged by the former using burner social media accounts. There's also an ongoing police investigation.

THIS is the organization you wanted to be traded to, Matt!?!?!?

Obviously this stuff all happened after the trade...

..but as a fan of a longtime formal rival of the Avalanche, I will ask how fucking terrible must it be in Colorado for Duchene to want to move from that into this mess? :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Andrew Hammond's wife with the smack down on Hoff's gf https://twitter.com/marlee_kat/status/1 ... 7367304192

Quote:
oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 pm 

The story gets updated--apparently the Sens and Hoffman's camp have known about this for months.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... k-karlsson

I'm not buying a single fucking word of what the agent is saying. He says out one side of his mouth that there's no way these two men and their significant others can coexist, then out the other side he denies the allegations.

Fucking hell this is insane...I can't even imagine being a fan of this team right now. This is happening right at the same time that Assistant GM Randy Lee will reportedly miss part of the upcoming draft because he has to be in court to answer some very serious sexual misconduct allegations.

I wanted to take just a little twisted glee from the fact the Avs have the Sens' 2019 1st rounder but...not like this. This is beyond the pale.

Jeff O'Neill thinks this could end Hoffman's career. Could it really? I don't think I believe that, even if he had knowledge of his fiancee's activities, and I absolutely believe he did. And the fact that those close to the situation are speaking out is even further damning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
4. Erik Karlsson's wife files for a restraining order against Mike Hoffman's girlfriend due to a prolonged harassment campaign waged by the former using burner social media accounts. There's also an ongoing police investigation.
But what's Hoffmans girlriend's motivation if true?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
But what's Hoffmans girlriend's motivation if true?

Hard to say...I think she's just a very disturbed individual. Here's what Kyle Turris's wife posted.

https://twitter.com/julieturris/status/ ... 7915824128

Quote:
This crossed the line from cyber bullying to something entirely different in April. Unfortunate that this private matter has become public. Incredibly proud of my girl for standing up for herself and her family, it took courage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am 
OTP Historian

Man is this ever fucked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next