OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
I think there's something else going on here with Stone (and maybe with Ceci too). It's almost like they're making a concerted effort to force it to arbitration, thereby guaranteeing only a 1-year deal, which I believe sets Stone up as a UFA in 2019. Not sure about Ceci. In essence, using arbitration as a way to get the hell outta town. Dorion would have no choice but to deal Stone at some point during the season or lose him for nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 1989
Pokecheque wrote:
I think there's something else going on here with Stone (and maybe with Ceci too). It's almost like they're making a concerted effort to force it to arbitration, thereby guaranteeing only a 1-year deal, which I believe sets Stone up as a UFA in 2019. Not sure about Ceci. In essence, using arbitration as a way to get the hell outta town. Dorion would have no choice but to deal Stone at some point during the season or lose him for nothing.
Smart move if true. This Ottawa saga is probably the biggest most prolonged tire fire in recent memory for an NHL team. Like they may actually have zero players at some point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9450
Location: 'Real City
They've set themselves up to have Karlsson, Stone and Duchene play angry walk years before leaving for nothing. Makes sense.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6735
E.L. wrote:
They've set themselves up to have Karlsson, Stone and Duchene play angry walk years before leaving for nothing. Makes sense.


They'll move them all by the deadline and get some good pieces back.

As for the way the players are handling it- it's brilliant. They aren't demanding to be traded. They just look like they want to be paid what they're worth, but they likely know it'll force a trade.

Who knows? It could all work out like the late 70s Yankees, who all hated each other and the management/ownership. They all played well out of spite.

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:57 am 
Offline
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:40 pm
Posts: 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54LB65XThJo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/08/11/br ... -senators/

Brady Tkachuk gives the Sens the news they were hoping for, he'll opt out of his last year at BU and go pro.

Probably not the best thing for the player or the team, but it's not like tanking is really an option this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9450
Location: 'Real City
I don't know what's more shocking to me: Brady leaving BU by choice to play in freakin Ottawa, or that the Habs didn't draft him knowing he'd be willing to leave college early.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9450
Location: 'Real City
BTW. This lineup, guys:

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Pageau-Gaborik
Boedker-Smith-Dzingel
Paajarvi-White-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman

Conderson

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
I wonder what the over/under is on Bobby Ryan making it 40 games. I'm guessing over, but not my much.

And I only learned just this weekend that Bobby Ryan's family name is not their legal nomenclature, but rather an alias the old man took after jumping bail and fleeing to Canada on very serious domestic violence charges (mom and Bobby followed). Holy fuckin' shit.

The burden on Matty Duchene will be insane. I remain a big fan of his, but I don't think he's an elite, franchise-level guy. I can't see him staying past this season, though he absolutely LOVES being close to his beloved Haliburton. Even came out with a line of clothing that has an outline of the county on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9450
Location: 'Real City
Pokecheque wrote:
I can't see him staying past this season, though he absolutely LOVES being close to his beloved Haliburton. Even came out with a line of clothing that has an outline of the county on it.


It's why I could see Ottawa making some sort of play at being competitive in a season and trying to re-sign him. Someone has to play here. If he likes the area, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo the usual suspects.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:14 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
It'll be crazy as all get out if he ends up signing in Long Island to replace John Tavares.

No idea what he must be thinking after how things fell apart so spectacularly both on and off the ice last season.

Bottom line, it's his career, his life. A fairly large contingent of Avs fandom have taken it upon themselves to slag him, especially following his statements in this interview, though I don't really see what the issue is there since no one knew the fortunes of his old team and his new one would flip so dramatically following that two-game series in Sweden.

I don't really see him staying if both Stone and Karlsson leave (and I'm fairly certain they both will), and I don't think he wants to be the guy who asked out twice in two years, but I also don't think he wants to stay and be the guy who cost the Sens a future franchise cornerstone if the season and lottery go as horribly as Ottawa fears.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
Marek is tweeting that he's hearing Tkachuk will likely be a London Knight this upcoming season. If true, what a weird career trajectory.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9450
Location: 'Real City
Pokecheque wrote:
Marek is tweeting that he's hearing Tkachuk will likely be a London Knight this upcoming season. If true, what a weird career trajectory.


Gross.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6735
Pokecheque wrote:
It'll be crazy as all get out if he ends up signing in Long Island to replace John Tavares.


Many Isles fans are hoping the Sens will trade him to the Isles for that exact reason, "to replace Tavares". No offense to Duchene, I like him, but he's not Tavares, and it would be incredibly unfair to him to bring him in, as the expectation will be that he replaces Tavares. He's good. But he's not Tavares good.

That said, here's my obligatory "I hope Tavares sucks donkey balls for the Leafs" portion of this post. Get used to them. I apologize in advance for being repetitive, but I hope you can all understand. I also hope he gets jock itch every day for the rest of his life. And crabs. Full on blue claws, in his pants...

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
It'll be crazy as all get out if he ends up signing in Long Island to replace John Tavares.


Many Isles fans are hoping the Sens will trade him to the Isles for that exact reason, "to replace Tavares". No offense to Duchene, I like him, but he's not Tavares, and it would be incredibly unfair to him to bring him in, as the expectation will be that he replaces Tavares. He's good. But he's not Tavares good.

That said, here's my obligatory "I hope Tavares sucks donkey balls for the Leafs" portion of this post. Get used to them. I apologize in advance for being repetitive, but I hope you can all understand. I also hope he gets jock itch every day for the rest of his life. And crabs. Full on blue claws, in his pants...


Well I'd hope Isles fans are wise enough to know what while he's technically "replacing" JT in that scenario, he ain't really replacing him. Despite the fact that they went 1st and 3rd in the same draft nearly 10 years ago, they're very, very different players. For starters, he may have lost a step or two, but Dutchy is hella fast. Tavares is many things, fast isn't one of them. And yeah, he ain't as good. About the only time he might have been was way, way back in 2009 when Tavares had a bit of a slow start and Duchene exploded out of the gate. He should slot in just fine as a 2C behind Mat Barzal. I could see him working very, very well with Josh Bailey.

But this is all speculation. I could also see Montreal lining up dump trucks full of money in 2019 should Matty decide to test the market.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6735
Pokecheque wrote:
Well I'd hope Isles fans are wise enough to know what while he's technically "replacing" JT in that scenario, he ain't really replacing him. Despite the fact that they went 1st and 3rd in the same draft nearly 10 years ago, they're very, very different players. For starters, he may have lost a step or two, but Dutchy is hella fast. Tavares is many things, fast isn't one of them. And yeah, he ain't as good. About the only time he might have been was way, way back in 2009 when Tavares had a bit of a slow start and Duchene exploded out of the gate. He should slot in just fine as a 2C behind Mat Barzal. I could see him working very, very well with Josh Bailey.

But this is all speculation. I could also see Montreal lining up dump trucks full of money in 2019 should Matty decide to test the market.


Agreed all around. Except that you may hope Isles fans are realistic, but come on man. They're Isles fans. How smart could we be?

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 19682
Chris18 wrote:
Agreed all around. Except that you may hope Isles fans are realistic, but come on man. They're Isles fans. How smart could we be?


Well, every fanbase has an idiotic fringe. I always keep hearing people complain about Leafs fans, and I'm sure there are a bunch who are utterly insufferable, but I've had way more conflicts with fellow Avs fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group