OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 pm 
Big in Japan

For making a statement about George Parros and the DOPS, specifically that he should be fired after the Wilson slap on the wrist. What a joke of a league. Colin Campbell still controls all the pieces for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Even worse:

Quote:
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
· 2m
Sources say that #NYR president John Davidson and GM Jeff Gorton scurried to distance themselves from the team statement that was issued on Tuesday night, telling other executives that they did not know it was in the works until after it was released.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I am hearing that they dissented from the press release and were trying to distance themselves from it and were canned for disagreeing with ownership.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
I am hearing that they dissented from the press release and were trying to distance themselves from it and were canned for disagreeing with ownership.

Even worse!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
· 2m
I’m told the firing of Gorton and Davidson by NYR is coincidental and not related to the statement issued yesterday related to Tom Wilson. Another source says ownership felt the Rangers underachieved this season.

Bullshit Dregs, you mouthpiece.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:03 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
· 2m
I’m told the firing of Gorton and Davidson by NYR is coincidental and not related to the statement issued yesterday related to Tom Wilson. Another source says ownership felt the Rangers underachieved this season.

Bullshit Dregs, you mouthpiece.
Totally. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris Drury named new GM and president.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:58 pm 
King of the One-Liner

100 minutes of penalties in the first period. So often you go into games like this wonder what will happen and it turns out nothing happens. Not this time.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I agree with what Dolan wrote, but it's not the time/place to write it. Say it at the GM meetings or whatever private method the owners have to get to Bettman. Not a public statement. That was bush league, and then to fire Gorton, who was doing a damn good job, AND fan favorite JD for disagreeing with it? Fuck Dolan. That's some petty bullshit right there.

But also, fuck Parros for not suspending Wilson. How'd that work out? Huge brawl game. Fucking brilliant. Parros looking to keep enforcers relevant?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:00 am 
Big in Japan

Caps and Rags game tonight was predictably a shitfest.

Buchnevich will get suspended for his hit but Wilson won't for his, go figure.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:12 am 

E.L. wrote:
Caps and Rags game tonight was predictably a shitfest.

Buchnevich will get suspended for his hit but Wilson won't for his, go figure.

Gotta protect the goons to make sure they're always available to play! Can't have these star players who don't know how to throw dirty hits going after a perfectly good goon, who only has 7 suspensions and well over $1 million lost to fines this year alone.

The sad thing is, the league wants to make sure a guy like Wilson is available for the playoffs. His next suspension will be at least 10 games, due to repeat offender status, right? So they don't want to "screw the caps" by suspending him. He can take a player out for 4 months, that's acceptable. But don't sit him for 10 whole games...

This whole situation is so fucked up I've had non-hockey fan friends reaching out to me to explain it all. 11:30 last night I was explaining "the code" to a basketball fan friend. The discussion ended with him saying he's going to watch more hockey, but only because I took the time to explain a ton of stuff. Where's my Grow the Game check?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am 
King of the One-Liner

Maybe Paul Kariya would be available to be the next player safety guy?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:22 am 

Hounsy wrote:

Task force of Kariya and Lindross.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

I think Kariya being involved in the league would be good but I feel like he's a guy who has always tried to maintain a low profile and getting involved with the league would be the opposite.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I think Kariya being involved in the league would be good but I feel like he's a guy who has always tried to maintain a low profile and getting involved with the league would be the opposite.

Yeah didn't really think he would do it, but think if you are going to try an ex goon in the job maybe next time see if someone with experience losing games to acts that received suspensions will better grasp the "player safety" part of the process.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Naw, Parros is exactly the guy the league wants in there, a doltish do-nothing who lets the meatheads of the league do whatever they want. Kariya would actually clean up the game, which I assure you, is the exact opposite of what Bettman and Campbell envision.

I was getting a spicy chicken sandwich at Popeye's when the news broke and I'm still beyond stunned. Just an astounding 48 hours in Rangerland. A recent article in The Athletic kinda summed things up: What will happen with the Rangers now that Dolan is giving them the Knicks Treatment? The Knicks are actually, finally good now. It appears that Mr. Cablevision is setting his sights on

While I don't buy for one fucking second that the statement and Davidson's/Gorton's apparent opposition to it didn't play a part in this, it does appear that tensions have been brewing in the organization for a while now. Not only does Dolan think the team is underachieving :roll: , he reportedly wants to add a bunch of meatheads to the roster so they can take on

I've been pretty critical of Gorton as I believed he was skating by more on dumb luck than actually building a team. It appears I was wrong. We'll see if Chris Drury puts a blowtorch to everything that's been done the last three or so years, or if Drury, if he's smart, just proceeds accordingly. The Rangers were set to take a giant step next season. The nearly $13 MILLION they got tied up in dead money comes almost completely off the books. Kaako and Lafreniere should finally be ready to embrace their roles as franchise stars, Zibanejad should be fully recovered from his COVID ordeal, and they got at least one more season of Panarin in his prime. Not to mention Adam Fox has ensconced himself as a legit franchise defenseman and the goaltending under Shestyorkin (I wish he had kept the phonetic spelling of his name this way and not "Shesterkin") should be more than reliable enough. Yes, they need to find an upgrade at center, but that's about the only big thing that's missing at present.

Not too worried about Gorton and Davidson. The former will get a front office gig very soon, and Davidson will have his pick of front office positions within the NHL or he can just go back to his roots and get a cushy TV analyst deal.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am 

So now DPS suspends Buchnevich a game for high sticking in the brawl game. Parros is just laughing at everyone now. Especially the Rangers.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Quinn fired as coach. This is Drury's team now.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:30 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Quinn fired as coach. This is Drury's team now.

I thought maybe Quinn had a chance of staying with Drury, a BU alum and reportedly a big reason behind Quinn’s hiring in the first place, now in charge. Guess not.

For the most part I thought Quinn was pretty bad at the NHL level. All the old-school tactics that I can’t stand, like benching young players for almost every mistake. I don’t really think it was a coincidence that the team started their road back to almost make the playoffs when Quinn and his staff were quarantined.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm 

I thought Quinn was going to be a good coach. I was glad he wasn't. I hope Drury swings and misses on several coaches in the next few years. I doubt it, but I can hope.