OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/mcdonagh- ... low-it-up/

I bet Kevin Shattenkirk, who really DID take the "hometown discount," is feeling really good about his choice now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 am 
King of Men

Flames should be in on Zuccarello. Currently making 4.5...probably in line for 6 or at least 5.5. That's a quality depth guy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm 
Big in Japan

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/961670132345995265

Wow, they came right out and said it. Good for them.

McDonough to MIN, Nash to PIT, Staal to DAL etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I kept checking to see if it was a fake page. I give them a lot of respect for coming out and saying it. That's classy and shows they're thinking of the fans. Good on the Rangers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
I kept checking to see if it was a fake page. I give them a lot of respect for coming out and saying it. That's classy and shows they're thinking of the fans. Good on the Rangers!

LOL you're just happy they're giving up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm 
OTP Historian

They put Smith on waivers on his birthday. That's ruthless. Unless they didn't know it was his birthday(like when a girl that I really liked who had a bf she said she was planning on breaking up with before she met me and we had been hanging out a bunch and made out a few times and then told me the morning of my birthday she decided not to break up with him except I didn't have a contract worth $16M to console me).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm 

I dunno...this is bizarre as all hell. What pro sports team has ever issued a letter to the fans warning them in advance of a rebuild!?

"We're just lettin' you know, some of your favorite players from our increasingly mediocre roster propped up all these years by our aging superstar goaltender may not be here next year. Be prepared."

Really!? And how the hell you think the players are gonna take this? I think Patrick O'Sullivan was right when he said these guys have even less to play for now, and they ALREADY gave up. That goal scored by Schaller last night featured some of the most half-assed defense I've ever seen. I think even I could have put up a better effort, and I'm talking about my fat-4o-year-old decrepit frame, not me in my "prime."

I imagine Gorton didn't know about it being Smith's birthday but likely didn't care once he found out. I think they're pretty enraged with him, though I'm not sure it's his fault. Played well in a very short stretch and the Rangers took a gamble, and it blew up in about the worst way possible. Looks like Detroit may have hoodwinked NY there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

LOL you're just happy they're giving up

Not really. I see them moving aging vets for a ton of young, good players or picks that could turn into such. Plus, this should help them shed some cap space for the UFA season and they may very well bring in really good players via that route. I never assume the Rangers will be bad. They always seem to find a way to do well enough to piss me off.

But I fully meant it when I wrote that. I had written that it made me feel dirty to write, but deleted it, as that is implied to those who know me. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
They always seem to find a way to do well enough to piss me off.

Lundqvist

They also have a history of teams bailing them out of awful contracts for whatever fucking reason.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:09 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
They always seem to find a way to do well enough to piss me off.

Lundqvist

They also have a history of teams bailing them out of awful contracts for whatever fucking reason.

They've always got a former big name UFA that fan bases crave. They overpay them, use them 1 year past their expiration date, and then trade them to someone looking for cap mule who is trying to satisfy their fan base by finally getting that big name UFA they wanted 3-6 years ago. Half the fans are too dumb to realize the guy is way past his prime, and are just happy to see the big name in their jersey. Then when the guy turns out to suck, the GM can hint that these big name UFAs who demand top dollars aren't worth it. I mean, look at this guy! You all clambered for him, and look what little return we're getting? We'll stick to developing our high draft picks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm 

The most Rangers contract of all time will forever be Bobby Holik. 5 years, $45 million (!!!) for a third-line center who never killed penalties. And he got bought out before it was even halfway over. Hard to believe that was something like 16 years ago.

As I expected, the Rangers talk big and do nothing. Not one asset cast aside after their "bold" declaration. I won't be surprised if they somehow go on a run and say "well, we're just gonna stay as-is." They'll probably just deal Nash and keep everyone else. Hell, they might not even do that. It's lip service until I see otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:11 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
The most Rangers contract of all time will forever be Bobby Holik. 5 years, $45 million (!!!) for a third-line center who never killed penalties. And he got bought out before it was even halfway over. Hard to believe that was something like 16 years ago.

As I expected, the Rangers talk big and do nothing. Not one asset cast aside after their "bold" declaration. I won't be surprised if they somehow go on a run and say "well, we're just gonna stay as-is." They'll probably just deal Nash and keep everyone else. Hell, they might not even do that. It's lip service until I see otherwise.

The Ranger players looked pretty uninterested last night. Like they're all waiting to be told where they're going. Nash gave a little shove after a whistle to Pulock, but even that was half-hearted. I almost, almost feel bad for them. It's got to suck to have the org say that and then nothing happen. They're all in such uncertainty. I know many players go through that, but when the org says just about anyone could go, it's got to be unsettling. Oh well. That's pro sports. You're an asset. Until they see you as a liability.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 am 
Big in Japan

BU coach David Quinn joins the rebuilding Rangers. Rags have a few Boston-area uni connections: Vesey (Harvard), Kreider (BC), Hayes (BC), Shattenkirk (BU), Carey (BC), Gilmour (Providence - close enough!)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 pm 

E.L. wrote:
BU coach David Quinn joins the rebuilding Rangers. Rags have a few Boston-area uni connections: Vesey (Harvard), Kreider (BC), Hayes (BC), Shattenkirk (BU), Carey (BC), Gilmour (Providence - close enough!)

NY hockey team with lots of Masshole connections is so Islanders 5 years ago. The Rangers are fucked!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am 

Quinn was previously the head coach of the Avs' AHL affiliate and then an assistant coach under Joe Sacco, before opting for the BU job. I really believe they were grooming him to be the next HC, of course I think they still would've offered the job to Patrick Roy so it's possible he would've been gone either way.

Since he actually has more than a bit of experience in the pros I think he'll make a much better transition than Dave Hakstol has in Philly (I'm still not convinced about him), and given that the team had clearly quit on Vigneault, I think just loosening those guys up will pay off dividends.

I wonder if Lindy sticks around. There are no more head coaching vacancies so maybe he just stays and bides his time until the next opening takes place. Something tells me it won't take that long this next time around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Rangers were reported to have been taking offers on Hayes and Spooner, but they ended up bringing back both. Hayes gets one year and will likely get dealt in his now walk year. Spooner gets two.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:58 am 
Big in Japan

Could be fun to watch, especially when they inevitably deal Hayes and really let the kids roll:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Namestnikov-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Andersson-Fast
Meskanen-Spooner-Lindqvist
Chytil

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Gilmour-Smith

Hank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

Rangers now interested in F Sergei Shumakov, who played in the KHL last year.

Rangers definitely going the Euro pro route in order to jumpstart the rebuild. No idea how these guys will play, but if a couple hit, the Rangers could be sneaky good this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

Rangers sign veteran Dustin Tokarski, I assume as an insurance policy should Alexandar Georgiev have a rough sophomore outing as the #2.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/08/20/range ... n-tokarski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:14 am 
Big in Japan

Shumakov spurns the Rags, picks Moscow 2 instead.