OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I already don't like David Quinn as an NHL coach.

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/11/05/ne ... vid-quinn/

Most Rags fans seem more than okay with his tough-guy approach but I think it's ridiculous to break out the big stick this early. But whatever, I suppose if it ends up working I'll eat my words. But I don't think it will.

Brett Howden, a center prospect acquired as part of the Ryan McDonagh trade, has had a very promising start to the year, but exited the recent victory against the Sabres with an injury.

Overall everything is happening about as expected. Henrik Lundqvist, despite some struggles, is still an elite goalie, and the Rangers are a scrappy, but still pretty bad team. Currently in 7th place in the topsy-turvy Metro division after 14 games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Torts 2.0.

Reminds me of Nick Saban or Rick Pitino, college coaches who couldn't get away with screaming at pros.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:56 am 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I already don't like David Quinn as an NHL coach.

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/11/05/ne ... vid-quinn/

Most Rags fans seem more than okay with his tough-guy approach but I think it's ridiculous to break out the big stick this early. But whatever, I suppose if it ends up working I'll eat my words. But I don't think it will.

Brett Howden, a center prospect acquired as part of the Ryan McDonagh trade, has had a very promising start to the year, but exited the recent victory against the Sabres with an injury.

Overall everything is happening about as expected. Henrik Lundqvist, despite some struggles, is still an elite goalie, and the Rangers are a scrappy, but still pretty bad team. Currently in 7th place in the topsy-turvy Metro division after 14 games.

I love how the article makes it sound like it's a great thing that he's like Mike Keenan. So NY. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 pm 

And really, I don't recall Torts or Vigneault being especially warm and cuddly either. I thought Quinn was going to be a departure from those guys, apparently not.

We'll see how long he lasts once the rebuild ends after this season and they go All In on Artemi Panarin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Offseason acquisition Michael Lindqvist mutually waived so he can go back to Sweden. Lasted 16 games in Hartford.

Thought they were kickstarting a rebuild with him, Meskanen, Andersson and Chytil. One NHL goal between the four of them so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm 

Luckily for them Brett Howden's been a find thus far.

I'm still not convinced this brain trust has the stomach to truly tank it to get that prime-time prospect up front or on the blueline that they haven't had since...well, I don't know, a very long time ago. I suppose it's telling that I can't really tell you much about "legendary" players the Rangers have had in their ranks. I mean...it's not a good sign when the "Greatest Player in Franchise History" is a guy who played his best years in Edmonton.

I fear they're going to do what they always seemingly do--put together a stable of good-but-not-great players and try to supplement them with overpriced veterans. I think they expected way too much out of guys like Stepan and even McDonagh, and those flaws were never truly exposed because they had King Henrik bailing them out on a regular basis. I think they're going to try and do the same with Chytil, Andersson, and Skjei. I'd say they're already doing it...Chytil shouldn't be in the NHL at all right now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:46 am 
Tattoo of the Post

Kreider comes to mind as their last big prospect. He's not exactly terrible.
Certainly Leetch and Richter, although they were quite some time ago.
The Rangers keep building via UFA and trades. It's not like they have been horrendous. Believe me. I hate it when they're successful. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:24 am 

Chris18 wrote:
The Rangers keep building via UFA and trades. It's not like they have been horrendous. Believe me. I hate it when they're successful. :lol:

Eh, they're always kinda stuck between "competitive" and "contender." They're never able to clear that last hill because they just can't tank low enough to get that franchise superstar. Maybe they will this year but I doubt it.

Kinda funny because they actually have drafted relatively well in recent years.

Kreider's an odd case. He's turned out to be a good player but not a great player. I don't expect him to finish his career in New York.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Eh, they're always kinda stuck between "competitive" and "contender." They're never able to clear that last hill because they just can't tank low enough to get that franchise superstar. Maybe they will this year but I doubt it.

Kinda funny because they actually have drafted relatively well in recent years.

Kreider's an odd case. He's turned out to be a good player but not a great player. I don't expect him to finish his career in New York.

"The greats spend their whole career with 1 team" - John Tavares.