OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Rangers trade Vladimir Namestnikov to Ottawa for a 4th rounder and minor league defenseman.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/10 ... a-senators

The Rangers retain about $750K in salary. He's in the final year of a deal that pays him $4 million AAV.

Namestnikov was at his best as the "center" between Stamkos and Kucherov in Tampa. He kinda acted as the defensive conscience of that line. Personally I don't think those two worked as well without him and with J.T. Miller in his place, and obviously Vlad never found a fit with the Rangers.

This frees up a decent amount of cap room for NY, who are probably eyeing a pretty big move at the deadline if things go well this season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:36 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Think they'll wait for the deadline? I think they'll go for another move sooner. This is NY, where people expect rebuilds to happen overnight. Which the frigging Rangers have pretty much managed. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Teams are not messing around this season: Marc Staal a healthy scratch.

Has Kravtsov gone home yet? He's mad he's in Hartford, like most people in Hartford.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris Kreider re-signs for 7 years at 6.5M AAV. Everyone figured he'd be sacrificed for the rebuild that never really happened.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 pm 

Whatever...second time around that the Rangers half-assed their rebuilding efforts.

I'm kinda done with this team. They've been a novelty item for me for years but I just don't like anything that they're doing, and that includes trying their damndest to force King Henrik out. If you're do THEN JUST FUCKING DO IT. And now they really can't afford to because their star player and favorite whipping boy forward got in a car accident and Shestyokin (and that's the way it should be spelled, not "Shesterkin") is out at least two weeks with a rib fracture.

So many players on this team I just dislike. DeAngelo, Lindgren, and Kreider. I also really don't like David Quinn as an NHL coach.

All this and they still don't really have what most people agree are the two most important components toward building a contender: A legit #1 defenseman and an elite scoring line center.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm 
Big in Japan

And now the Rangers might be trading Brady Skjei to Carolina? So weird.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
And now the Rangers might be trading Brady Skjei to Carolina? So weird.

They're been really sour on him for a while. He's never met expectations, and the acquisition of Trouba and emergence of DeAngelo make him expendable.

The saddest thing is that it kinda dates the "Let's Do That Hockey" skit on SNL.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am 
Big in Japan

Mika Zibanejad scored five goals last night!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:44 pm 

That was an insane fucking game. They get a 5-4 lead thanks to Zibanejad with less than a minute left in regulation, then Ovechkin scores on the next shift! All setting up Zibanejad's OTGWG right afterward.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 am 

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that'll do it for the Rangers, who have proven even after an announced rebuild that they're just as mediocre as ever.

I just can't with this team anymore. I don't like the management, I don't like the coach, and I really, really don't like Tony DeAngelo. They're never, ever going to get it. It's basically going to take monumental efforts from Panarin and whoever ends up being the go-to goalie

Also, looks like the end of the road with Henrik Lundqvist. A buyout is probably the least painful option for both parties.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't know why they were so quick to run Skjei and Pionk out of town...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that'll do it for the Rangers, who have proven even after an announced rebuild that they're just as mediocre as ever.

I just can't with this team anymore. I don't like the management, I don't like the coach, and I really, really don't like Tony DeAngelo. They're never, ever going to get it. It's basically going to take monumental efforts from Panarin and whoever ends up being the go-to goalie

Also, looks like the end of the road with Henrik Lundqvist. A buyout is probably the least painful option for both parties.

I really don't know if they'll ever do that to Lundqvist. He has shown such loyalty to the team, saying all the right things through the rebuild, that he's beyond a fan favorite. They fucking worship the guy. Sure, some are saying it's well past his time, but I think fans will revolt if they buy him out.

And I'm bummed they're out. I have a feeling they're getting the #1 pick...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I really don't know if they'll ever do that to Lundqvist. He has shown such loyalty to the team, saying all the right things through the rebuild, that he's beyond a fan favorite. They fucking worship the guy. Sure, some are saying it's well past his time, but I think fans will revolt if they buy him out.

And I'm bummed they're out. I have a feeling they're getting the #1 pick...

I'd hate for them to get Lafreniere, but I'd rather he end up in the East for obvious reasons.

I don't think fans will revolt. The writing is on the wall. Henrik is still devilishly handsome, but is 38 years old and he's almost assuredly the third-best goalie on the team. His contract carries with it an AAV of over $8 million. Something has to be done, they can't continue on their current course. If they end up getting rid of Georgiev, then Henrik will be the backup, but that's one insanely expensive backup. They just need to bite the bullet and buy him out. The cap hit will hurt the first year and then, for some reason, drops off considerably after that.

I know he's a beloved figure, and rightfully so, but I think even the most ardent fans understand that it's time to move on. I just wish he had gotten a Cup before it was all over with--instead his prime years were wasted with increasingly mediocre rosters playing in front of him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Trade Hank over here along with some picks.

Lundqvist being the same age as me always feels really weird when I see his birth date.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm 

I should have clarified- he's only got 1 year left on his contract. That's why I don't think they'll do it. Ranger fans would probably like a farewell tour, rather than him going out after losing Games 1 & 2.

He's probably got a great career ahead of him in broadcasting. Maybe they could replace the annoying Steve Valiquette on the Rangers broadcasts. Valiquette has some great ideas, like high danger shot counting, etc. but he's just annoying. He acts like he's a HoF goalie, not a backup who played 46 games in the NHL. Granted, I never came within a solar system of that, but I don't act like my shit doesn't stink.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I should have clarified- he's only got 1 year left on his contract. That's why I don't think they'll do it. Ranger fans would probably like a farewell tour, rather than him going out after losing Games 1 & 2.

He's probably got a great career ahead of him in broadcasting. Maybe they could replace the annoying Steve Valiquette on the Rangers broadcasts. Valiquette has some great ideas, like high danger shot counting, etc. but he's just annoying. He acts like he's a HoF goalie, not a backup who played 46 games in the NHL. Granted, I never came within a solar system of that, but I don't act like my shit doesn't stink.

Not sure they have a choice. Cap room is a concern now. For reasons I'm not sure of, the Shattenkirk buyout has one year out of four where his cap hit jumps from $1.4 million to $6 million (!!!), and it's next year. That alone eats a big chunk of cap. They also need to factor in raises for DeAryangelo, Georgiev, and your boy Ryan Strome. Unless they can find a way to deal away the boat anchors known as Marc Staal and Brendan Smith, they're going to have to take a look at buying out the King. I'm positive if they found someone willing to just take on the deal at even half-price, it would've happened already.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of opportunities for Lundqvist, probably something in front of the camera. If they put him in the same booth as Patrick Sharp there might be mass swooning, so probably find something else for him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:41 pm 
Big in Japan

The Rangers just can't help themselves. Staal and a 2nd go to Detroit, clearing cap space for an impending spend session. Hall? Hall.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:27 pm 

Rangers sign Ryan Strome 2 years $4.5 AAV.

Also apparently asked Tony DeAngelo to kill his Twitter account after some controversial tweets about the election and covid19.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:13 pm 

I sure hope the Rangers come to their senses and dump this piece of shit before K'Andre Miller makes it to the big leagues. He should not have to share the same locker room with a fuckin' bigot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:29 pm 
Big in Japan

I think the Rangers gave him a surprising amount of rope up until he said COVID wasn't real, which definitely crossed a line beyond politics. How many dead in the city that pays you, buddy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next