OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:40 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
At this rate the next CBA negotiation is going to be like "You WILL put on the visors, kevlar socks, NASCAR-like sponsorship jerseys, these new Reebok aerodynamic helmets that don't work but will bring profit to the owners, use this brand of stick, eat this meal and sleep our prescribed hours. And if you say 'no' to any of it, we're making tutus part of the uniforms. There's a fruitcake in Reebok's design team who feels they will really enhance to the league's image."

Mark my words. It'll go like that.

Visors have moved from 28% usage 10 years ago to 68% today. As Av points out get rid of the visor instigator rule and it probably hits 90%. The NHL PA won't fight for that small a minority.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This thread should probably be retitled "How the Rangers aren't doing it."

A surprisingly good piece on the Rangers' struggles on NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6607 ... L|NHL|home

It's true that Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st seems like a fairly big, but manageable loss, but when you realize Slats also lost Prust, Mitchell, and Fedotenko due to salary cap concerns, that's a terrible price to pay.

Rangers might have a shot next year if Kreider can figure it out and Miller continues to develop. Hell, maybe even Ryan Bourque will be ready. If it were up to me I'd also get rid of Gaborik for whatever I could. Too soft, too one-dimensional, doesn't make those around him better. Hopefully McIlrath makes the team next year as well--the NYR blueline has been accused of softness this year as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:14 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
This thread should probably be retitled "How the Rangers aren't doing it."

A surprisingly good piece on the Rangers' struggles on NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6607 ... L|NHL|home

It's true that Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st seems like a fairly big, but manageable loss, but when you realize Slats also lost Prust, Mitchell, and Fedotenko due to salary cap concerns, that's a terrible price to pay.

Rangers might have a shot next year if Kreider can figure it out and Miller continues to develop. Hell, maybe even Ryan Bourque will be ready. If it were up to me I'd also get rid of Gaborik for whatever I could. Too soft, too one-dimensional, doesn't make those around him better. Hopefully McIlrath makes the team next year as well--the NYR blueline has been accused of softness this year as well.

Like the Nucks they have cap issues for next year as well. I've got a feeling the FA market will be pretty cheap next year as lot of the teams that like to spend actually need to flush some salary to get under the cap. Really would like to see a well done article that tackles how many teams next year will have this problem as things are now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I'd drool if Gaborik became available. Him on the current Habs would be amazing.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 am 

Out goes Jeff Halpern, in comes...Mats Zuccarello. :lol:

Makes 'em better at shootouts at least!

Cotsonika posted on Twitter via Brooks that Brian Boyle has been on the ice for three Rangers goals all season. Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am 
OTP Clown

saskhab wrote:
I'd drool if Gaborik became available. Him on the current Habs would be amazing.

Really? Deadline deals don't work. He's good, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a winner.

ed: he's no Crosby / Datsuk...

Or that guy from LA - not the skilled guy, but the guy who hurts the skilled guys...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 am 

Stinky wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Or that guy from LA - not the skilled guy, but the guy who hurts the skilled guys...

You mean the guy who moonlights in theatrics in his spare time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am 

saskhab wrote:

For a guy who touts possession as much as you do, I'm surprised you want him. His possession #s are actually pretty weak from what I understand.

Gaborik is way, way too selfish a player IMO to truly make anyone around him better. I'd like to see what kind of stats his linemates put up with and without him. I imagine they're better without.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Well Nash should just be glad he's on the Rangers now, cause if he was still on the CBJ when he hit Kopecky his ass would be out 2-5 games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
saskhab wrote:

For a guy who touts possession as much as you do, I'm surprised you want him. His possession #s are actually pretty weak from what I understand.

Gaborik is way, way too selfish a player IMO to truly make anyone around him better. I'd like to see what kind of stats his linemates put up with and without him. I imagine they're better without.

You Sedin a guy like him. The Habs have the roster to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 41550.html

King Henrik is displeased, and when King Henrik is displeased, the axe shall fall.

It's obvious what the Rangers need to do in order to be successful, but the question is how they'll actually do it. Bringing in Nash, Richards, and Gaborik didn't help, and flipping Gaborik to get the depth back lost in the Nash deal helped a little, but not nearly enough.

I feel like the Rangers need an upgrade at center and defense before they're truly ready for Prime Time. Question is whether they'll once again part with prospects/picks in order to achieve that. Now that it looks like the clock might be ticking on Lundqvist's time in NY, I'm guessing there'll be a panic deal or two.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:18 pm 

I know it wasn't a popular opinion at the time, but the Nash trade didn't work because they gave up all the players they needed to make acquiring Nash work. I think it was a fair exchange and they needed it to be a swindling. That's why they're no better off with Nash than without him.

I'd float Del Zotto as a tradeable asset. I think he can fetch a return that helps the Rangers a lot. Fuck, float his name to the Avalanche and see what it gets you.

The core of this team is the high-priced talent that you have to live with if you aren't buying it out (Nash, Richards), obviously Lundqvist, McDonagh, and Callahan. With both Stepan and Brassard to go with Richards and Boyle they can have some fun with the forward lines. They can acquire creative, speedy wingers if they want.

Make the team fun and take some risks!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
King of Men

saskhab wrote:
Make the team fun and take some risks!

And there it is. Anyone that watched The Bruins series knew that both the players and coach had checked out on each other.

I agree. Rangers have talent....let them use it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 pm 
Old Man of the Post

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424238

Cue the AV to NY rumors...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I realize Av is probably being sarcastic here, but why do people call him King Henrik? I realize he's probably the best goalie in the league now, but how many Cups has he won? Going to game 7 of the ECF doesn't mean shit. Nobody was made king for almost pulling the sword out of the stone. People really need to get a grip. I've heard he's the best goalie to ever play in NY. So that makes him king? Note people- Billy Smith is still alive & well, and would KO Lundqvist with a single punch from his 4 finger Stanley Cup ring.
That is all.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 am 

I think he got the nickname after leading Sweden, the Tre Kronor (or Three Crowns), to gold at Turin in 2006.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 am 
OTP Historian

Hmm

https://twitter.com/mgaborik10/status/3 ... 2398344192

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm 

Yup. Avery, Gaborik, and Brooks are definitely feeling rather smug right now.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/ ... 6KKllcqh1K

Apparently in exit interviews some Rangers players expressed their displeasure. That led directly to Tortorella's ouster.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 am 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:26 pm 

To paraphrase E.L. as it pertained to the Avs, Messier is eventually going to take over the Rangers. May as well do it now.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/5 ... coach.html

Anyone think Gretzky deserves another chance in a front office/coaching role? I felt he was pretty disastrous in either role in Phoenix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next