OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This team may no longer be in my heart but they're still in my head! :argh: :psyduck:

Once again the Rags find themselves in a familiar situation. Too much money given to too few players doing far too little.

There were some upsides to the season. Henrik Lundqvist became the first NHL goalie in history to have at least 30 wins in his first four seasons. The continued development of Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Daniel Girardi, and Marc Staal was also a plus, as was the slow-but-steady emergence of Lauri Korpikoski as a valued trade commodity--er, role player.

But it pretty much ends there. The big ticket players all underachieved. This team didn't have a single player reach 30 goals. Not one. Simply put, the Rangers couldn't score, especially on the power play. The additions of Naslund and Redden were a disaster, and while the Vogue Intern's triumphant return from hockey exile was all well and good, he's being paid way too much for what he does.

I read an article today signifying the loss to the Caps--the Rangers were beaten by the very model of team Sather was trying to put together. A young, fast, talented, and exciting squad. The Rags are none of those and probably won't be for quite some time. Even run-and-gun guru Tortorella was resigned to making his players clog up the neutral zone in order to stay alive against Washington.

The future? Not sure. Both Morris and Antropov were decent deadline additions, but both are free agents on a team with little cap room. NY likely won't be a contender in the market this year, sorry Scott Gomez...Brian Gionta will likely end up somewhere else.

There might be help on the way...but probably not in time for next year. Bobby Sanguinetti probably isn't quite ready to be a full-time NHLer, and Matt Gilroy likely needs at least a season in the AHL. What this team needs more than anything is an elite scorer to pair with Gomez. Nikolai Zherdev could probably be that guy if he only cared enough. He doesn't. Alexei Cherepanov...well, you know how that turned out.

Tortorella gets a full year with these guys, so it could be that he gets them back on track and perhaps contend for the division crown. If he can actually get consistency out of his two overpaid centers, some heart from Zherdev, and keeps rickety Naslund from falling completely apart he might just contend for the division crown. Of course that's assuming Lundqvist turns in yet another stellar year.

As for Wade Redden? Pffft...

Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I think Messier would sign again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:53 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

What about Artem Anisimov or whatever, I hear he is potentially great and pretty much ready?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 pm 

Well, Anisimov did indeed have a great year in Hartford, he should be ready. He at the very least should be able to beat out Tyler frakking Arnason for a roster spot.

Not sure how the lines would work out now, but I'm sure they'll try Drury with Gaborik. I suppose since Gabby will play about 15 games anyway it couldn't hurt.

Higgins-Drury-Gaborik
Zherdev-Dubinsky-Avery
Arnason-Anisimov-Callahan
Voros-Boyle-Brashear

Wow, that is one sucky 4th line, and I actually like Voros. Someone bring Jed Ortmeyer back, he's available!!!

Again, Drury makes a better wing than center, though he doesn't think so. I haven't seen much of Dubinsky but he seems to have a better knack for adjusting his game for different linemates--I believe he was the only center after Nylander left who had any chemistry whatsoever with Jaromir Jagr, and actually got Zherdev to play to his potential, albeit briefly.

Gah...forgot the Rags still have Wade Redden's horrible contract on the books with no hope of dumping it. They better either sign Morris or pray Sanguinetti and Gilroy are ready.

Word has it Lauri Korpikoski is on his way back to Europe. Too bad, the guy had all the heart and drive of an NHLer, just not the ability. :hurr:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:09 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Not sure how the lines would work out now, but I'm sure they'll try Drury with Gaborik. I suppose since Gabby will play about 15 games anyway it couldn't hurt.

Did you just suggest that something couldn't hurt Marian Gaborik?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Did you just suggest that something couldn't hurt Marian Gaborik?

:lol: Oops, my bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 am 

For once, the Rangers make a smart move, agreeing to terms with Ryan Callahan before his arbitration hearing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284662

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am 

Lo and behold, the Rangers actually have something resembling depth in their system on defense. Too bad they simply can't rid themselves of Wade Redden's horrible contract. I keep forgetting that in addition to signing Matt Gilroy they acquired Ryan McDonagh in the Gomez deal. This in addition to Bobby Sanguinetti and Michael Del Zotto. Here's to hoping at least one of them gets to New York and makes an impact before he's traded away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr090727.html

Apparently the Rangers are fully prepared to walk away from Zherdev's arbitration hearing. This dude might be the single most unlikable guy in the NHL from a management perspective.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr090727.html

Apparently the Rangers are fully prepared to walk away from Zherdev's arbitration hearing. This dude might be the single most unlikable guy in the NHL from a management perspective.

Which is funny because it's completely the kind of player the Rags have always loved.