OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2024 off-season
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:49 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Disappointing to fans but exactly what any realistic person foresaw, Isles knocked out by the Hurricanes in 5 games.

This summer has a lot of potential. Or none.

Starting at the top, will Lou finally step aside? He's 81 years old. He's president of hockey ops and GM, so he could easily just hire a GM. I'm hoping like hell that if he does that, the two rumors going around aren't true; that either Roy would move to GM or coach/GM, or Lou's son, Chris, would take over. Chris has been Bridgeport's GM for 7 years now, and that team is in greater disarray than the Isles. They finished dead last in the AHL this year, and haven't won a playoff round since 2002. How is that even possible? The cupboard of prospects is pretty bare, but they could bring in AHL vets to help with that. They have in the past, and it didn't work out. Fans all blamed Brent Thompson for sucking as a HC, but he moved on prior to the 23-24 season and well, the results of the new guy speak for themselves. What are those results saying? "We suck!" We've discussed Roy as GM in the post-season thread, and I am one of the few Isles fans who wants nothing to do with Roy as GM.

I'm hoping for an outside hire. Lou can stay on as pres. That's a role he's more suited to at this point. He's still trying to build a 2003 Devils roster and it's not working.

Roy as coach- I think he did a good job overall. With an off-season to assess what they've got and figure out ways to improve, I look forward to next season with him behind the bench.
The assistants- MacLean finally got the PP working to an almost acceptable level, which is far better than past years. It's amazing to me how a PP can suck so badly for so long. But I'm now okay with MacLean staying on. Doug Houda should be replaced. The Isles' D was lauded for years for being incredibly stingy, not giving up many shots and generally being really good. With most of the same players, they have sucked, giving up over 40 shots per game many nights, some even after Roy took over. The PK was stir fried dog shit all year. Bye Doug. DeRosiers- I have no idea what he does, but Roy likes him. Shrug.
The strength & conditioning coaches/trainers need to pull their heads out of their asses or be replaced. The Isles were known for not being in game condition overall, and Roy said it during practice in his first week. Yelled at the players that they were dead after 40 minutes and a game is 60. How many times did they blow third period leads? I see a correlation...

Players.

Forwards
UFAs - Clutterbuck, Martin, Kuhlman and Pinho. The first 2 have been regulars on the "best 4th line in hockey" for 6 years. I love the heart these guys bring, but thank you for your services. It's time to ride off into the sunset. Martin has 955 NHL games and it would be great to see him hit 1000, but not in an Isles jersey. Maybe, maybe if he gets a 1 year deal for very little. But if he plays in 45 games that sounds like they're desperate and won't be in a good position. So I hope not. Clutterbuck remained healthy for an entire season! But still, thanks bud. You were a pain to play against, but it's time to move on. Kuhlman & Pinho were in Bridgeport. I didn't pay enough attention to Bridgeport to know anything about them, because Bridgeport sucked, as mentioned above. So they were part of that problem.

RFA- Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, Iskhakov & MacLean. MacLean is a legit NHLer. Bottom 6er, yeah, but he brings tenacity every night. Hoping he sticks around, which may or may not be tied to his father remaining behind the bench. Holmstrom has shown flashes of brilliance, and flashes of invisibility. He's like Josh Bailey 2.0. I hope he sticks around, but not on the usual Lou 7 year deal with an NTC. I hope he gets like 2-3 years at a low rate. Wahlstrom - healthy scratched by 3 coaches for long stretches. Has talent but the hockey IQ of a turnip. Time to move on to a new place. He'll probably catch on with another team and some smart coach will pair him with a defensive winger and a playmaker, and he'll score 20 goals, probably eliminating the Isles. Iskhakov is highly skilled and quick, also great in the shootout, something the Isles have sucked at since the likes of Miro Satan and Franz Nielsen moved on. It's truly astounding how a team can suck so much at them.

D
UFA- Reilly, Bortuzzo, Aho & Salo. Salo can go. He's never materialized into the Mark Streit type they thought he could be. Aho is okay, but is replaceable. Mike Reilly is a much better version of him. I hope they keep Reilly on a reasonable deal. Bortuzzo can go play starfish for another team. Bye. I fear his Game 4 2OT heroics will earn him a 2-3 year deal. Please no.
RFA- Cholowski. He was supposed to be the first call up after he was signed a few years ago. Never showed he could handle NHL play. If they re-sign him for Bridgeport, yay.
Will Bolduc be ready for a regular NHL shift next year? He could take Aho's spot, or be a trade piece for a team looking for a cheap d-man.

Goalies- Appleby is a UFA. Whatever.

They've got their 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6 round picks for this year's draft. 3rd rounder was traded for Engvall and the 7th for Bortuzzo. Can they find a hidden gem in the middle of the first round? Doubt it.

Nelson & Palmieri are under contract for next year. Each has a M-NTC, getting to submit 16 team lists. It might be time to trade either or both, although Nelson is the sniper they need. He's just not a good enough one. Palmieri hasn't really lived up to the contract he was signed to.

Pageau has 2 years left, is great on faceoffs but his offense disappeared this year, missing open nets. He's a good player, but not for $5M. All are possible trade pieces.

In short, they really need scoring and have very little in the org. Bridgeport seems to need a complete overhaul since they always suck. They need to find a way to restock Bridgeport and have some hope for the future. For years, guys they've called up look totally lost upon arrival in the NHL. The same people own both teams. They should be running the same systems so there's a seamless transition from the AHL to the NHL.

I have little hope anything good will happen this summer. I fear Lou will sit on his GM role and continue with more of the same. They'll be a bubble team again next year, unless Sorokin recovers this summer.

Post subject: Re: 2024 off-season
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:17 pm 

Some interesting info from exit interviews.
Barzal says they can compete with anyone. Yeah. Some days.
Pageau said he needs to regain his explosive starts and says he was not good this year. Agreed.
Wahlstrom says his knee brace finally just came off 6 weeks ago. So maybe he was more being rested than healthy scratched? Weird.
Mayfield broke his ankle in first game of the season, came back to play because other D were hurt, never felt right, reinjured it and had surgery. Okay, maybe that explains a lot.
Cizikas was asked about centering Martin & Clutterbuck- "it was amazing". Maybe I'm reading too much into the use of past tense, but I'd welcome them both moving on.
Martin, however, said he fully intends to play next year but isn't sure the Isles will re-sign him. I could see Lou offering him 2 years. Largely because Martin might only be effective for half of one more season. Give him an NTC while you're at it Lou!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:01 am 

Mike Reilly has said he wants to stay with the Isles.
Martin & Clutterbuck say they will keep playing and also hope to stay with the Isles.

I'm all for Reilly staying. Martin and Clutterbuck... Only if it's like a 1 year deal at no more than $1.5M, if that much. I like them both, but I think there are cheaper options available for a 4th line. The old "best 4th line in hockey" magic is long gone. Mainly want to see Martin hit 1000 games in an Isles uniform.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am 
Big in Japan

Isles sign former Sens goalie Marcus Hogberg. Two year deal. Spent the last three seasons in Sweden.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:51 am 

E.L. wrote:
Isles sign former Sens goalie Marcus Hogberg. Two year deal. Spent the last three seasons in Sweden.

I was heading here to post about this. 29 years old, making $775k AAV. I'm assuming he's bound for Bridgeport. Otherwise they're about to move Varlamov when he's got 3 years left on his deal and Sorokin has a mere 8 years left on his. So he's not going anywhere. Sorokin has said he's already working hard on the things he knows he needs to improve from this past year. No time off at all. Said he doesn't deserve it. That's a bit harsh, but I love the dedication. Hoping he returns to Vezina candidate form next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Islanders sign 25-year-old Russian forward Maxim Tsyplakov to a one-year entry-level contract.

The most hyped Russian UFA of the offseason, with about a dozen teams inquiring. The grandson of a Russian HOFer, he's a late bloomer who finished fourth in league goal scoring last year. His offence probably won't be anything to write home about, but former Omsk coach Bob Hartley says his game is tailored to 3rd line NHL duty because of his size (6'3, 200) and his solid skating.

A nice, low risk pickup for the Isles.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:44 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Islanders sign 25-year-old Russian forward Maxim Tsyplakov to a one-year entry-level contract.

The most hyped Russian UFA of the offseason, with about a dozen teams inquiring. The grandson of a Russian HOFer, he's a late bloomer who finished fourth in league goal scoring last year. His offence probably won't be anything to write home about, but former Omsk coach Bob Hartley says his game is tailored to 3rd line NHL duty because of his size (6'3, 200) and his solid skating.

A nice, low risk pickup for the Isles.

Just what the Isles need! Another bottom 6 forward! Now to re-sign Martin and Clutterbuck to those long term deals, and Lou can relax and have the live-in nurse put his feet up for him.

:chairshot:

When I first heard they'd signed the top KHL UFA I was excited it was a sniper. Nope. Another 3rd line grinder type. Fucking Lou. Retire already. Sure, it's low risk, low salary, short term... But fucking hell, can they please sign someone who can score?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:09 pm 
Big in Japan

He scored a bunch in the KHL this year, so they might try him out in a top 6 role to see if his skills are transferable. But from what I saw in the highlight videos, he's got a pretty slow release. So we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:38 pm 

E.L. wrote:
He scored a bunch in the KHL this year, so they might try him out in a top 6 role to see if his skills are transferable. But from what I saw in the highlight videos, he's got a pretty slow release. So we'll see.

Trying a sure-fire bottom 6 guy on the top line is 100% Lou's M.O. since taking the Isles GM job. He tries this bargain shopping like he's trying to out-do Garth Snow at NHL scrap heap buying. But, Snow's guys often worked out. Hickey, Grabner, Moulson... Quite a few of Snow's basement buys had at least decent years. NONE of Lou's have. Reilly, but that was just incredible timing because the Isles were down 2 d-men the day Florida waived Reilly. $5 says Lou brings back Bortuzzo (who sucked other than the only point he had as an Islander, which happened to be an assist on the OT playoff winner) but not Reilly (who was very good).

Until Lou makes a good move this off-season, I'm going to be grumpier than usual. So be warned. Or entertained.

Lou should have stepped aside and let a GM under 80 take over. Fucking brutal.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am 

Tsyplakov got a 1 year, $950k contract. A lot of teams called about him. Isles asked about him moving to Center. Sooooo, Horvat, Nelson*, Pageau*/Tsyplakov, MacLean at center? * means they're supposedly on the trading block. I guess you could throw Cizikas back in there. So after moves, perhaps Horvat, Nelson, Tsyplakov, MacLean, with Cizikas there as an extra in case of emergency. Doesn't seem great, that's for sure. Isles best C in Bridgeport is Koivula, and even he's a UFA now. He's never shown he belonged in the NHL. Sure would be nice to see the Lamoriellos restock Bridgeport. It was not at all worth watching that team the last two years.

More moves to come... I hope.