OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Huge surprise with Palmieri recording the earliest hat trick ever by an Islander. He's struggled at times this year, but looks to be really benefitting from the line shakeup. Pretty cool that 6 different Isles got the assists on his 3 goals. It was also a natural hat trick, which makes it a bit cooler. Thomas Hickey was asking aloud if that was the earliest hat trick by an Islander and interrupted himself to say "I just got hit in the head with a hat". :lol: I like that he adds silly stuff like that to the broadcast. Lee and Nelson added goals too. Sorokin lost the shutout late in the 2nd, but they are now on a 3 game mini-win streak, which they will hopefully add to. A lot.

After 60 games they're on pace for 90.2 points. Not exactly good enough for a playoff spot, but it's a lot better than the 86.3 points they were headed towards before this 3 game win streak. And they're getting better according to the all knowing eye test. 7-5-3 under Roy. With almost no practices, that's... still not good enough. They've looked the full range from last night's goal parade vs the Bruins to stir fried dog shit. As everyone has known for a long time, they need consistent, full out efforts. Hopefully we see that the rest of the way.

The mini-win streak could be dangerous with Lou still at the helm and the deadline only a few days away. Lou is probably looking for a big loophole at the moment. Or getting ready to tell Mayfield he's on LTIR with rosteritis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:27 am 

Not that you should rely on the out of town scoreboard, but it was very kind last night. Pens, Caps and Devils all lost in regulation. :D
Hoping the Blues knock themselves silly to beat the Devils tonight, and then have nothing in the tank for tomorrow's game vs the Isles.
Also hoping the Isles have figured out that when they play hard, they win and when they play like they don't give a shit, they lose. Crazy concept!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:11 pm 

Chance for revenge on the Blues tonight. Binnington faced 41 Devils shots last night so I assume he's not playing.

Mayfield moved to LTIR, where he's with Bortuzzo. St Louis connection! (Isles got Bortuzzo from the Blues and Mayfield is from St Louis). Is Mayfield suffering from rosteritis? Or has he played poorly all year long because he's been playing hurt? That gives Lou $4.450 M in LTIR space. Will he use it? I doubt it. Mayfield is supposed to come back in 4-6 weeks, aka, right around when playoffs start. Is this rosteritis? Resting an injury while allowing the Isles to add a piece that won't count against the cap in the playoffs? Loophole Lou at work? Could be. We'll find out by Friday afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:59 pm 

Isles come from down 2-0 and beat the Blues 4-2. Fucking empty motherfucking better!!! Fuck yeah!
Four wins in a row. Palmieri, Pageau, Horvat and Barzal with the goals.

Four points behind Tampa and Detroit for a WC and four behind the Flyers for Metro 3.
Sharks on Thursday. They need that game big time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Kyle Palmieri still looks weird AF without a beard. It's like that picture someone posted of what Chewbacca would look like without his fur.

Also, those Isles beer can third jerseys kinda suck. They just need to stop. There's only one choice for third jersey, either do it or get out of the third jersey business altogether.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:04 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Kyle Palmieri still looks weird AF without a beard. It's like that picture someone posted of what Chewbacca would look like without his fur.

Also, those Isles beer can third jerseys kinda suck. They just need to stop. There's only one choice for third jersey, either do it or get out of the third jersey business altogether.

At least Palmieri waxed his unibrow during his first off-season with the Isles. That thing was crazy. He probably has to shave between periods.

I don't care about these thirds either way. They're not exciting, they're not hideous. I know you mean the fisherman, and you know my opinion on that. Third jerseys are getting played out to me. If you're going to do them, make it something really out there. I'm surprised teams aren't comarketing on their thirds yet. Like an Ironman-Panthers jersey (colors match), or something more sports related, like the Isles wearing modified Mets uniforms to try to combine the fan bases even more (again, colors match). Instead we'll probably get like Mastercard jerseys.

Rumor that the Isles are in on Buchnevich. I wouldn't mind that, depending on the cost of course.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:03 pm 

Didn't think the Isles would claw there way back in but they have. Big advantage is they are chasing 3 different teams in Detroit, TB and Phili. If Isles play .550 hockey and any of them play .500 hockey they're in. Almost for sure one of those three will only hit .500 so its pretty much in the Isles hands. Good on Roy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:45 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Didn't think the Isles would claw there way back in but they have. Big advantage is they are chasing 3 different teams in Detroit, TB and Phili. If Isles play .550 hockey and any of them play .500 hockey they're in. Almost for sure one of those three will only hit .500 so its pretty much in the Isles hands. Good on Roy.

I was ready to give up on the season like 2 weeks ago.

7-2 win vs the Sharts. It was a late one and I'm in a hotel. I turned it off right after Horvat scored to make it 3-1. 15 seconds later the Sharts made it 3-2, 15 seconds after that the Isles made it 4-2. Crazy shit.
Romanov's first game in months not wearing the full shield, so of course, he took a stick to the mouth. Got a 4 minute PP from it.

Only 2 points behind Tampa now, with 2 games in hand. I'd love to see the Isles knock Tampa out. that would feel pretty good.

Lots of rumors out there. 15 minutes to go.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles were quiet at the deadline. Makes sense. They still got a shot and the Pens/Caps raised the white flag.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:11 am 
Big in Japan

Rumour has it the Habs asked for Ruslan Ishakov for Savard and were turned down. So there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am 

E.L. wrote:
Rumour has it the Habs asked for Ruslan Ishakov for Savard and were turned down. So there you go.

They are keeping that kid in the minors no matter what he does. Should have given him a chance to be an NHLer. Lou said he didn't want to subtract at all. I thought he might move picks for a top 6 forward, especially since they have the Mayfield LTIR relief sitting there.

I'm not bothered by it. They're in deep shit with cap space next year, so let's see what this group can do under Roy. They look poised to steal a playoff spot, it's a question of whether it's a WC or jump up to bump Philly out of Metro 3. I'd prefer they not do that, as it means facing a reloaded Carolina team in Round 1. I'd love to see the Isles bump Tampa out entirely, Detroit down to WC2 (Sorry Bosc), and the Isles take WC1 as that would mean an Isles-Rangers Round 1 matchup. That would be awesome. Only way it could be better is if they met in a later round with bigger stakes.

Anyway. Isles at the Ducks late tonight. Kings tomorrow. Here's to keeping the win streak going! :viking:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:14 am 

6-1 win over the Ducks. 6 different goal scorers, all 4 lines. Varlamov's first win in a while. Back into a playoff spot, WC2. First time in a looong time they can say that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs and Isles finally connect on a post-trade deadline trade: MTL sends Nathan Legare to NYI for Arnaud Durendeau. Minor league swap, and I guess the trade deadline doesn't affect playoff eligibility in the AHL?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Habs and Isles finally connect on a post-trade deadline trade: MTL sends Nathan Legare to NYI for Arnaud Durendeau. Minor league swap, and I guess the trade deadline doesn't affect playoff eligibility in the AHL?

No clue, but the Bridgeport Islanders don't need to worry. They're dead last in the league and probably already eliminated from contention. They SUCK. I keep looking to go to games, then remember how awful they are, and I look for something better to do with my time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

No clue, but the Bridgeport Islanders don't need to worry. They're dead last in the league and probably already eliminated from contention. They SUCK. I keep looking to go to games, then remember how awful they are, and I look for something better to do with my time.

Correction: Durandeau was property of NJ/Utica. Since when? He was definitely an Islander pick. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:13 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Correction: Durandeau was property of NJ/Utica. Since when? He was definitely an Islander pick. Oh well.

Oh yeah- back in Nov he was traded for Tyce Thompson, which was weird, because his father, Brent Thompson, had been the AHL Islanders coach for years but left to join the Ducks coaching staff over the summer. Then they trade for his kid? It's like they need a Thompson in Bridgeport at all times.

Isles shut out by the Kings, 3-0 loss (en). Aaaaaand they're already back out of a playoff spot. :lol: Detroit jumps back into WC2, as both teams have 72 points in 65 games, but the Red Wings have actual win points where the Isles have 14 loser points. So, they'll have to get back to winning when they go through Buffalo in a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:04 am 

Isles are back in a playoff spot thanks to the Sabres whooping the Red Wings (sorry Bosc). Now the Isles play the Sabres next, and hope the Sabres used up all their offense against the Red Wings...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:55 am 

Out of town scoreboard was a mixed bag last night, but the Isles certainly didn't do themselves any favors by losing to the Sabres. Shut out for the 2nd game in a row. They looked like they just wanted the game over and to get home. I know it's a long season, but how the hell do you see that huge paycheck, look at the standings to see you're hanging onto a playoff spot by an ass hair, and then come out flat vs a team you should beat?

Sens vis it on Saturday, Isles at Rangers Sunday. Both are matinee games, which the Isles suck in. So they'll probably lose both and be back outside the playoff bubble. This team is their own worst enemy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:47 pm 

This team is shitting the bed, big time. 0-3-1 in their last 4 games after a 6 game win streak. It's like they don't want to make the playoffs.
I spent today cleaning out my late father in law's garage, and that was apparently a much more pleasant time than watching the Isles suck dog against the Rangers. 5-2 Ranger win. By all accounts, the Isles haven't started playing the game yet.

Canes on Tuesday, Red Wings Thursday, Jets Saturday and Devils Sunday. They'll probably go 0-3-1 in these 4 as well. Maybe they pre-booked golfing vacations for mid-April?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:49 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Saw the highlights. Sorokin was pretty bad, but it ain't like he was had a ton of help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next