OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:21 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Looked like a laugher for the Isles, as Barzal scored 39 seconds into the game vs the Oilers and their new coach. It's not 3-1 Oilers with about 4 minutes left. Oilers with 2 PP goals about a minute apart. Holmstrom was called for tripping, Oilers scored in like 3 seconds. Pulock called for delay of game after a rolling puck flew out on him. Oilers scored on a shot that looked like Sorokin had it, but it somehow bounced around on him and trickled behind him. Isles have been outscored 19-9 in third periods so far this year. They used to be known for being "boring" by clamping down on third periods. Well, I would like to be bored again because this team sucks dog balls.

Fired Oiler coach Woodcroft's first NHL win- 3-1 vs the Islanders. Weird.

Isles haven't had a shot for over 6 minutes. Great way to win hockey games! I seriously wonder about the conditioning of this team. In third periods they're a donkey show.

PP with 3:19 to play. Isles had a PP earlier in the game and 3 seconds in Lee negated it with an interference penalty. Sorokin off with 2:35 to play. Aaaaaand EKane with the empty net shorty. Fucking love the Islanders this year. They're so exciting!!! For opposing fans.

I was hoping Bridgeport would be good so I could watch them. Nope. They suck. Fuck hockey. Good night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:45 am 

Thankfully NHL TV deals kept me from watching the Isles play the Canucks. I was checking the score on my phone now & then. 2-0, Yay! 2-1, they're going to blow this. 3-1 (Horvat scored), maybe, just maybe they can pull it off! I went to bed. Woke up and saw that they lost in OT, 4-3. At this point I can only laugh and hope that the Lambert era comes to an end soon enough that a new coach (NOT MacLean!) can right the ship. Fans are clamoring for Gallant while he's still available. Sure, whatever. I'll take Barney the fucking purple dinosaur at this point. This team, just about all the same players and one of the coaches, used to be known for clamping the hell down on any lead going into the third period. It was boring, until they won the game. Now they're really exciting losses! I know which I'd prefer, and it's not losses. Currently on pace for 76.5 points. :toot:

Lou has to start to see that he either hired a shitty coach, built/kept a shitty roster or both. He has to see that, right? Something has to give here. So far, it's the fans' interest. There's no way in hell I'm staying up to watch a late game tonight to see them let Eberle get a hat trick against them or something like that. I'm actually bummed that Beauvillier didn't score last night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:18 pm 

Very good breakdown of the game here if you're interested https://canucksarmy.com/news/stanchies- ... n-tell-4-3

My summary, Barzal line > Miller line. The other 3 Canucks lines far better than the other 3 Islanders lines.

Good to see warm welcome for Horvat, it was emotional for him. Glad he got a goal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:33 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Very good breakdown of the game here if you're interested https://canucksarmy.com/news/stanchies- ... n-tell-4-3

My summary, Barzal line > Miller line. The other 3 Canucks lines far better than the other 3 Islanders lines.

Good to see warm welcome for Horvat, it was emotional for him. Glad he got a goal.

Thanks, but I'm not interested. At this point, I'm looking more at yardwork and stuff like that than Islanders hockey. Bridgeport sucks too. This org is in a shitty state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, the Canucks fans pretty much did it perfectly. Cheered and honored him during the video tribute, then booed him when he touched the puck. :lol:

Lane Lambert might be the next coach out. Lamoriello's never been fired, so I'd be shocked if he were suddenly on the hot seat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:57 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yeah, the Canucks fans pretty much did it perfectly. Cheered and honored him during the video tribute, then booed him when he touched the puck. :lol:

Lane Lambert might be the next coach out. Lamoriello's never been fired, so I'd be shocked if he were suddenly on the hot seat.

Yeah, that's a good handling of your traded captain. I get it. Even though he didn't ask to be traded. :lol:

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing a coaching change but NOT if they bump MacLean up to HC. He sucks. Their Bridgeport coach is new and isn't looking too hot. They're last in their division. I thought Lambert would be more like Trotz. The third period used to be a lockdown. Now the floodgates are open and flowing the wrong way.

I can't see the owners firing 81 year old Lou. It wouldn't be a good look. But I feel the game has past him at this point. He doesn't get the need for speed in today's NHL. As much respect as I have for his career, his current version is not good. Like he did in TO, too many long contracts with NTC or NMCs. You'd think he'd have learned. I get the idea of loyalty going both ways, but you also can't handcuff yourself the way he has. There's basically no cap room already for next year if they re-sign Wahlstrom & Holmstrom (aka the 'stroms). Can't keep doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 am 

Woevember continues. Isles give up 3 PP goals to the Kraken who win it in an 8 round SO. It hurt to see Eberle score in the SO, since the Isles suck so badly at it. And well, everything else right now.

7 straight losses. Fine, loser points in that span, but 3 points in 7 games isn't going to get you anywhere but a lottery pick. And this isn't a good draft year, is it?

Calgary in a few days. Then they've got 3 days off and return home. I'd say if they lose and look bad in Calgary there's a good chance Lambert is canned upon arriving home. Would Lou fire someone before Thanksgiving? Lambert is Canadian, so would it matter? He'd also still get paid so it's not that big of a deal. Something needs to change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:32 am 

Well they finally broke the shit streak in several ways. They actually won a game, after losing 7 straight (some in OT/SO, so not totally fruitless, but certainly not good), and they won a SO. I can't remember the last time this team won a SO. They really suck at it. Although Horvat and Wahlstrom have each scored in the SO in the last two games, so I know who should go 1 & 2 next time they're in one. Supposedly Wahlstrom has said he hates SOs and has little confidence in himself during them. When he was a kid he was on TV after scoring on a Michigan move in a SO. He has no confidence in his moves? Crackhead.

Isles also scored on a PP (1/3) AND- didn't allow a PP goal (3/3). That's all unheard of!

4/8 points on the road trip. This may save Lambert for a while. I wonder if that's unfortunate. He doesn't seem to have lost the team but he also doesn't have them playing 60-65 minutes of good hockey.

Three days off, then the Flyers visit on American Thanksgiving Eve. Isles are in Ottawa on Black Friday and home again for the Flyers Saturday. Kind of weird for the Flyers to visit twice in a few days. You'd think it would be home/away. This year's schedule is so strange/stupid.

Anyway. Isles are back to NHL 0.500. A point per game is great for a player. Not so good for a team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:57 am 

Isles fans have been flooding the team's social media with pics of pavement... that just happens to have "FIRE LANE" written on it. :lol: At least it's amusing, even if it's in a childish way. To everyone but Lambert himself.
He was quoted again saying they're "in games". Just missing the W there bud, you're paid to Win games, that's what they give 2 points for. 82 point pace right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:23 pm 

Isles finally play again tonight. Home vs Philly. I think if they go 0-3 in this little stretch Lambert will be gone. 3-0 and he's safe for at least a while. 1-1-1, the jury will be out, but to me, every game they linger around .500 is another coffin nail on the season, if not the coach as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 am 

Lambert is like the turkey that gets the Presidential pardon on Thanksgiving. Isles beat the Flyers 3-2. Game was fugly but they won it in regulation. I'm not even sure how to look at this team right now. Is that like "finally a regulation/REAL win", "two wins in a row", "four game point streak"... I still have no idea what this team is, besides a bubble team.

Clutterbuck played his 1000th NHL game, which is really impressive considering the style he plays. He was great in interviews, never taking any credit, always thanking his family, friends, coaches... Despite a lot of his on-ice antics, he seems like a genuinely good guy. He told a great story about how when he was playing junior he wasn't getting much playing time and he told his parents he was going to quit hockey, that he'd truly made up his mind. His father told him to stick with it, finish out the season and just keep doing what he does well. That's when he began hitting more, and got noticed more. So he again thanked his parents for all their support. His birthday was the other day and he came like 1' from scoring on the empty net near the game's end. Would have been great if he got it. I hadn't realized he's been with the Isles over 10 years.

Ottawa tomorrow night. Philly again on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:12 pm 

Costly 5-3 win vs Sens. Aho and Pelech hurt in the first period. The 4 remaining D did a hell of a job but will likely be dead tomorrow vs Philly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:01 pm 

Pelech to IR. But not LTIR, so they're not allowed an emergency call up for tonight's game. Only waiver exempt player on the roster is Holmstrom, who has been great lately, so it would suck to send him down. I'd waive Gauthier, who has barely played at all. Not much risk of him being claimed and if he is, so what? He's not playing and he's not going to.

No word on Aho, but he never returned last night. Likely a short term injury, but I doubt he'll play tonight. Not a lot of D depth in Bridgeport. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Did you read that article about Lou needing to go? Can't remember where I read it.

Also, Genie is full-on ditching the bleu-blanc-rouge of her erstwhile hometown for the Fishsticks: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz-KAGfo_Sb/?hl=en

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:49 pm 

Eyes on Isles have been saying Lou must go for two years. Lighthouse is more mellow.

Pelech now upgraded to LTIR. That’s not good. Martin on IR. Isles claim Reilly from the Panthers’ waiver pile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:32 am 

No word on Aho but his injury looked bad. He slid into the end boards/corner hard, with his entire right side colliding. He held his right shoulder while on the ice but didn't use his right leg at all while skating off. Lambert said he was still undergoing tests as of yesterday's game. 24 hours of tests? Yikes.

Bolduc and call-up Grant Hutton filled in okay, but played very few minutes. Kind of an amusing moment when Bolduc hit Garnett Hathaway along the boards, between the benches, where Thomas Hickey now hangs out to do in-game reporting, and Bolduc's stick caught Hickey on top of the head pretty hard. I always assumed the analysts in those positions turned their mics off but during play you heard Hickey say "Owww!" and then Burke & Goring began messing with him right away. "Thomas, did you get hit?" "Yeah, Bolduc needs to control his stick better". "You okay?" "Yeah, just kinda stung. Thought I was done getting hit in the head". (Goring)-"Not the hair!" Burke-"Since you're okay I really hope we have video of that." Goring-"We do! They say they have it!" Hickey-"Greaaaat". Hickey's career mainly ended due to concussions so it is a bit of a concern, but once he said he was okay it became funny.

Anyway. Isles ran into a normally shitty goalie who had a great game, not that they really tested him in any dazzling ways. They lose 1-0 in the SO vs Philly's backup, Ersson, who had a 0.863 save% coming into the game. He made 25 saves through OT and stopped 3/4 SO attempts. He didn't get scored on, but Palmieri didn't even get a shot off as the puck bounced and he just skated to the corner looking sad. Sorokin had 40 saves through OT and stopped 3/4 in the SO, but one really scored on him. Sorokin with a shutout, and a loss. Gotta love the NHL accounting.

Mike Reilly is on his way after being claimed. Hopefully he helps. I hear he's a good skating, puck moving D-man. Okay. Last night they had Bolduc on the PP in Aho's place. WTF? Is Ryan Pulock really that down the PP depth chart that Lambert would use a 22 year old unproven D-man over Pulock? Seems that way. Unless he was just trying to give Pulock a few more minutes of rest since he played 30 minutes the night before.

Mini road trip now, in NJ Tuesday, Carolina Thursday and Reilly will get a chance at revenge against the Panthers org that waived him on Saturday. Then home for the Sharts Monday.

After 20 games the Isles are 8-6-6, 22 points in 20 games, on pace for 90.2 points. Obviously that can change a lot, but it's not looking great, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:11 am 
Big in Japan

Reilly is a guy who got an inexplicably large contract that didn't pan out in Boston. The guy can move the puck up the ice pretty well, but his decision making is questionable and physically can't take much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Reilly is a guy who got an inexplicably large contract that didn't pan out in Boston. The guy can move the puck up the ice pretty well, but his decision making is questionable and physically can't take much.

Sweet.

Isles also traded Arnaud Durandeau to NJ for Tyce Thompson, Tage Thompson's brother, and son of former Bridgeport Islanders' HC Brent Thompson. Kind of weird to trade for him now that Brent has moved on to Anaheim. He's headed to Bridgeport.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:35 pm 

Aho put on IR (UBI- he left the ice holding his shoulder).
Martin moved to IR but retroactive to 5 games ago. He practiced today. Kinda weird.
Mike Reilly practiced with the team this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:09 pm 

Once again the Isles are a donkey show in the third period. Had a 4-2 lead and lose 5-4 in regulation. I’m officially on the Fire Lambert train since he can’t get the team to play 60 minutes. That’s more on the players but you can’t fire 23 players. This experiment hasn’t worked. He didn’t learn enough standing next to Trotz for like 10 years.

This team pisses me off anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next