OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:05 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Roy with a bit of a shakeup. Engvall to line 1 with Horvat and Barzal. On the offensive side, it could work well, as both have the speed to create some 2 on 1s and shoot off the rush, or drop it to Horvat catching up. Defensively, I think they'll be very sound as those two are excellent at breaking out creatively and quickly, but that brings me to- Lee to line 2 with Nelson and Palmieri. In the O zone, they both go to the front of the net so they'll be redundant, and in the D zone they both tend to get hemmed in their own zone, so this could be a real shit show.
Wahlstrom still on line 3 with Pageau and Holmstrom. Sacred cow is the 4th line.

Not sure if Romanov will be back in. He's skating but is questionable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 pm 

Isles lose to the kraken in a shootout. Again. 1-1 regular game. 1-0 shootout. Isles are a donkey show in the shootout. Roy should put in pads for a practice and tell them anyone who can’t score on him has to sprint for an hour. Especially since they came out flat. Again. Barzal said after the first that the game was huge for them. So how are you flat???
Roy said the isles were tired after 40 minutes of practice yesterday. He lit into them. Good. Fuckers are out if shape. Why?

Fuck this team.

Ranger outdoor bullshit is next. Probably be pancake flat for that one too. Losers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Isles lose to the kraken in a shootout. Again. 1-1 regular game. 1-0 shootout. Isles are a donkey show in the shootout. Roy should put in pads for a practice and tell them anyone who can’t score on him has to sprint for an hour. Especially since they came out flat. Again. Barzal said after the first that the game was huge for them. So how are you flat???
Roy said the isles were tired after 40 minutes of practice yesterday. He lit into them. Good. Fuckers are out if shape. Why?

Fuck this team.

Ranger outdoor bullshit is next. Probably be pancake flat for that one too. Losers.

It happens a lot when a coach loses a room, bad practice habits creep in and the whole team not only falls out of cohesion, their conditioning suffers. I remember Ray Ferraro saying after he got traded at the deadline from the Thrashers to the Blues his final season that he got winded way too quickly and was struggling to keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:09 pm 

Yeah, I remember when Rolston was traded from the Isles to the Bruins and the Bruins made a big deal of publicly saying Rolston was not anywhere near game shape. Something Isles fans knew about the entire Isles roster. I guess I can also look at the lifetime contracts with NTC/NMCs that Lou gives out like M&Ms. Why would you have to stay in game shape when your contract is 7 years, you don't need to worry about being traded, demoted, or anything else?

Fucking shit show.

If I had an Isles vlog I'd make Steve Dangle look sane/calm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:35 pm 

Roy obviously agreed with my anger. He bag skated the Isles. GOOD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm 

Isles practiced on the outdoor ice today. Yay?

Just realized I'll miss at least most of Sunday's outdoor game vs the Rangers because ironically, Miss18.2's team will be playing the Jr Islanders at Northwell Ice Center, where the NYI practice. They've got a huge Islanders store there. I don't think I'll be buying anything this time, since they are pissing me off big time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:21 pm 

The thing Roy has working against him is that teams just don't practice much at this point in the season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
The thing Roy has working against him is that teams just don't practice much at this point in the season.

Yeah. He's using pre-game skates as practices. Has to. But they've got like 28 games left. Can't just throw his hands up and use that as an excuse. Or at least he'd better not.

This is on Lou for not firing Lambert sooner. It was pretty clear they players had quit on him a while ago. Now they're used to coming out flat and don't seem to give a shit. If I was Lou or Roy I'd ask all the players if they want to be traded. If they don't want to be here, get them the hell out. If they want to be there, they need to come out ready to play from the opening faceoff until the final buzzer. That's it. If they'd put in 100% efforts all year long, probably 8-9 of those 13 OTL/SOl are wins and they're in a very different position. That game vs the Sharks where they lost in regulation... The Predators game. So many come to mind that they could/should have won, but just rolled over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:48 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Yeah. He's using pre-game skates as practices. Has to. But they've got like 28 games left. Can't just throw his hands up and use that as an excuse. Or at least he'd better not.

This is on Lou for not firing Lambert sooner. It was pretty clear they players had quit on him a while ago. Now they're used to coming out flat and don't seem to give a shit. If I was Lou or Roy I'd ask all the players if they want to be traded. If they don't want to be here, get them the hell out. If they want to be there, they need to come out ready to play from the opening faceoff until the final buzzer. That's it. If they'd put in 100% efforts all year long, probably 8-9 of those 13 OTL/SOl are wins and they're in a very different position. That game vs the Sharks where they lost in regulation... The Predators game. So many come to mind that they could/should have won, but just rolled over.

That's quite ironic since Roy was the guy who really spearheaded a movement to lessen or even just get rid of morning skates. He hated them. But yeah, no choice now.

I just think...this Isles team needs to really revamp its roster. Even if everything were clicking on all cylinders it'd be nothing more than a "good" team. Obviously there aren't a ton of options but if Lou is still a good GM then he should be able to make something work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I just think...this Isles team needs to really revamp its roster. Even if everything were clicking on all cylinders it'd be nothing more than a "good" team. Obviously there aren't a ton of options but if Lou is still a good GM then he should be able to make something work.

You, me and everyone besides Lou seems to know that. He loves to show loyalty to guys who are already on the downward side of their careers. The Isles never would have gotten Trotz without Lou, so I truly thank him for bringing some respectability and credibility to the Isles, but he's in his 80s. It's time to be Pres and let someone much younger take over. But not his son, who has done absolutely fuck all with Bridgeport in 6 years. They are literally worst in the AHL after 6 years with him in charge, and nobody the NYI call up looks NHL ready. Last guy who was even close was Pulock, and that was years ago. Maybe 8 years? Don't know. Not bothering to look it up. Time to shake shit up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:59 pm 

Isles to host the 2026 All Star game. Denis Potvin just announced it during the stadium game. Having a new arena is a good thing for this team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:57 pm 

Quote:
The announcement has been causing an outrage through social media since the Islanders have been known to be the team with the least personality in the League.

With the latest All-Star game failures, massive concern has been raised regarding the Islanders' ability to gather interest amongst the fans.

Hopefully, the concerns will be proven wrong and the Islanders organization will step their game up to show the players and the fans a good time.

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl/news/m ... e-outraged

:lol: :cry:

I've never, ever heard that before now. I can't imagine that Arizona, Florida, Columbus and few others can be considered as a more personable fan base than the Islanders.............Canucks Daily pretty much copies all their ideas from somewhere else, so not sure where they've got this idea from........Rangers fans perhaps? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:37 am 

Lou's rules have a lot to do with the Isles being seen as a "no fun" team. The players themselves seem pretty normal for NHLers, showing a little personality now and then, but not being too quotable. There's a little merit to that, but I hardly think they're more boring than other teams.
And their new facility is amazing. They've got outdoor rinks people can skate on, outdoor beer gardens, heated tents where you can hang out before/after games, etc. That all sounds pretty cool to me. How would MSG be fun? "Hey kids, go play on the NYC streets and see how many cabs you can dodge? Ohhh, poor Johnny didn't quite dodge that one. What personality we have here!" Newark has plenty of personality, if you consider "don't go outside a one-block perimeter of the arena at night" a personality. Same with Chicago.

Lou's reputation is extended to the Isles in general. They're doing some cool, unique things, and they have space outside the arena to do them.

I was at their practice rink yesterday for Miss18.2's game. They've got a roller hockey rink out front, which was filled with snow, but is pretty cool. They've got a small Islanders HoF with plaques of the players and descriptions of their careers, why they're in the IHoF, etc. I wanted to take photos of each one but a few people came over to talk about the players with me. Wish I'd just taken the photos and ignored the hockey moms asking who Clark Gillies was.

Now, the stadium series game... I got home from the game at the end of the first period and was kind of happy to see they had a 3-1 lead. But with the Isles, no lead is safe. Long gone are the days of the Barry Trotz lock down, aka boring Islanders. Today's Islanders are like "you want goals? We'll make sure you see tons of goals! We don't care if they're for or against us, in the first period or OT!" Isles had a 4-1 lead early in the 2nd, and I knew it wasn't safe. I actually told Miss18.2 "they're gonna lose this in OT". She told me I was crazy. Should have bet something. :lol:

So at this point, I am officially giving up on this season. If they rattle off 8 wins in 10 games vs Metro teams, maybe they'll pull me back in, like Michael Corleone, but I'm done arranging my time around watching them blow leads. It's not fun. It's not boring, but it's not fun. My remote control has been in grave danger a few times this year.

So, they play again some time soon. I don't really know or care when or who against.

I'm making my first trip to the boring UBS Arena on Wednesday. Not for an Isles game. Fuck them at those ticket prices! But for a PWHL New York game! Mrs.18 wanted tix for her birthday. I'm excited for it. They're playing Montreal, so I fully expect Poulin to ruin my night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:11 am 
Big in Japan

Enjoy the PWHL game. The barns have been rocking, so glad to see the women's game finally get a league with some momentum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Enjoy the PWHL game. The barns have been rocking, so glad to see the women's game finally get a league with some momentum.

Yeah, I saw Montreal vs Toronto pulled in over 19k fans!!! That's awesome.

As for the Isles, I'm ready for a retool if not a rebuild. Trade anyone besides Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin. Not that many teams would take the other guys with their contracts, but you've got to do something, and adding should NOT be an option.

Isles fans went after Mayfield on his personal social media accounts for the late penalty. I haven't even bothered watching it, but even a few Ranger fan friends told me it was a really unlucky penalty; that he swiped or poked his stick at the puck, missed and caught the skate blade. He gets called for that shit all the time though, so refs must think he does it on purpose. I liked him for years, but this 7 year deal Lou gave him is bat shit crazy and instantly made fans turn on him. Engvall too. No matter what though, you don't go at the guy on his personal account. He fucked up. It's a game. Move on or stop watching.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 am 

Isles vs Pens tonight. I predict the Isles will be up by a goal, fail to score on the empty net, give up the tying goal and then lose in the SO. They're apparently playing for loser point championship. And once they're eliminated from playoff contention, they'll finally score an empty netter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:22 pm 

Oh- boring Islanders... Stadium Series- Devils players arrived dressed as Sopranos characters (10 years too late, but I guess that's better than Jersey Shore characters), Flyers as Rocky. Rangers arrived in NYPD and FDNY gear. Isles arrived in their every day suits. But driven in by Long Island Fire Dept. How original. So maybe they are boring. I don't know who they should have dressed as, but I'm not too familiar with LI, living 90 minutes NW of it. Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher? Ralph Maccio? He's a huge Isles fan, so they could have done Cobra Kai and at least been in this decade. But nope. Regular suits. So maybe they are boring, even if all the hoopla around the Stadium Series is just silly. I'll bet if they did something fans would complain that they spent more time on that than prepping for the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:56 pm 

Never gonna happen so long as Lou is in charge.

I bet the minute Lamoriello finally hangs them up, Kyle Palmieri will arrive to camp looking like a background player from Hee Haw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:46 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Never gonna happen so long as Lou is in charge.

I bet the minute Lamoriello finally hangs them up, Kyle Palmieri will arrive to camp looking like a background player from Hee Haw.

I think it would take Hairy Palms like 3 minutes to grow a full beard. And unibrow. He plucked the unibrow after coming to the Isles. I don't know if Barzal pulled him aside and told him he'd never in GQ with that single brow, or if Lou counted it as facial hair.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 pm 

Predictably the Isles blew a 2 goal third period lead and found themselves in OT. Somehow, and quite shockingly, they won it! Pelech with his first goal of the year. Crazy. 5-4 win.

Isles messed up a coach's challenge, claiming the Pens were guilty of a hand pass. I saw during live play that the Pen knocked the puck down off his own stick to his teammate. Not sure how tf the Isles video coach didn't see that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next