OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Trevor Gillies was asked a lot if he was related to Clark, and he had to say that sadly, he wasn't. He could fight like him, but certainly not score.

He absolutely could not fight like Clark Gillies :lol:

Okay fine. I was trying to say something nice about the psychopath, and you call me out. He's going to read this (well, maybe have someone read it to him) and find both of us and now it'll be YOUR fault.

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I didn't realize Mark and Dale were bros. Ew. Wasn't there another brother who played in the NHL?
Roy has embraced analytics.
Lou never will.
No clue what his son thinks, other than it's obviously wrong because Bridgeport is far worse than when he took over.

If Roy's finally embraced analytics that's a sea change for sure. He wasn't vociferously opposed to them but seemed very dismissive. It was upon his departure that the Avs really took a deep dive into analytics and built the team they have now. Sakic spoke poorly about them too at one point but he's obviously on-board with them (got word from a friend who shall remain nameless that the push to embrace the fancy stats may have come from above him).

This isn't directly-related to the Isles but I figured it's interesting to note that Friedman and Marek dedicated a few minutes to the Columbus Blue Jackets and their GM search, and speculated that AGMs Rick Nash and Basil McRae might be pushing hard for Mark Hunter as both guys have connections with the London Knights. So maybe Hunter goes there, I don't know. I know which market/franchise appeals to me more, and despite the fact there's probably a lot more young talent in the Lumbus system, I'd still pick the Isles.

I wonder if Isles fans would hate Mark Hunter for what Dale did. Probably not if he does a good job. But if he falters they'll turn on him and probably bring it up. :lol:

I don't know if I'd want the Isles GM job. It's going to be a shit show for a few years. At least I think so. More than just an on the fly retool. The system is so barren of prospects it's going to take a while to build it up. I almost feel like they need to concentrate on that first. Most fans are saying they should trade anyone not named Barzal, Horvat, Dobson or Sorokin. Someone else replied that those are the first 4 they should trade, so they can restock the cupboard with good, young guys, who can grow up together, and you can get a few guys for each of them. They won't be proven, sure, but if you try to put a bunch of unproven kids around those guys, you might have a shit show anyway. I can see merits of both ideas- you've got a really great goalie, who had an off year, probably due to loss of confidence after playing more than half the year with no defensive structure, two great forwards, and a great d-man. Those are usually the big pieces you need to be successful, but they seem so far off after those guys. But I think fans would throw in the towel if they traded those guys, unless the return was spectacular and allowed cap space to bring in other talented guys on smaller contracts. They've needed a sniper for years and can't get one. Wahlstrom was supposed to be that guy and is absolutely not. Three coaches (maybe 2.5 really since Lambert was here with Trotz) have all given up on him. I thought for sure they'd trade him at the deadline for whatever they could get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm 
Big in Japan

I've been hard on Mark Hunter over the years but even I gotta admit now's the time if he's ever going to get a GM job. My feeling was he's always going to have an escape plan and never be fully committed to a place that isn't London, but at this point his name has been thrown around enough that he's looking for a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 am 

Welp, Isles win a nail biter vs the Panthers while going 0-6 on the PP. Out of town scoreboard was very friendly, so they're kinda back in the race. Kinda. Enough that I'll keep watching.

4 points behind the caps for WC2 both with 10 games left. No more games against each other.
5 points behind the Flyers, but the Isles have 2 games in hand. 1 more game against each other.

10 games left.
2 vs the Rangers. They can always go either way.
1 vs the Devils, who are nipping at the Isles' heals.
1 vs the Flyers, who have been holding onto Metro 3 for a while and wouldn't it be wondrous to see Torts' presser if they lose it?
1 vs the Penguins, who are pretty close behind the Isles.
1 vs the Blue Jackets.

1 each vs Tampa, the Habs, Nashville and Chicago.
Normally I'd say Chicago is almost an auto-win but not only is it the 2nd of a back to back set, they travel home from Philly the night before. They're 0-fer on the tail end of back to backs, so they're probably fucked on what should be a win.
One of the Ranger games is a matinee. They're also 0-fer those. Maybe it's time to start breaking some of these shit streaks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:45 am 

Despite getting the first goal early in the game, the Isles shit the bed vs Tampa, losing 4-1 (en). Out of town scoreboard wasn't a total bastard, but also wasn't that helpful with a few teams losing in OT. Isles most likely aren't making the playoffs, but I'll stay interested as long as they do. Watched the first period of this one, then when they came out flat in the 2nd, I changed over to the Yankee game. The Yankees came from behind to win, again. That's more interesting than watching a team that plays like they know they're going to lose. Baseball is more interesting. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:27 am 

Big game for the hot potato WC2 spot tonight. Isles vs Philly. I call it the hot potato because nobody seems to want WC2, with everyone in that position falling right after they get into it. Except of course those fucks in Tampa, who are climbing towards Toronto.

Either way, I expect a very lackluster effort from each team tonight, because they both suck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:25 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Big game for the hot potato WC2 spot tonight. Isles vs Philly. I call it the hot potato because nobody seems to want WC2, with everyone in that position falling right after they get into it. Except of course those fucks in Tampa, who are climbing towards Toronto.

Either way, I expect a very lackluster effort from each team tonight, because they both suck.

The Flyers are terrible. If they back into their playoff spot, everyone behind them should be ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:34 am 

E.L. wrote:

The Flyers are terrible. If they back into their playoff spot, everyone behind them should be ashamed of themselves.

Everyone behind them should be anyway. And so should the Flyers. They hired Torts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:44 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Everyone behind them should be anyway. And so should the Flyers. They hired Torts.

Against the Habs last week they were exactly what I expected a late season Torts team to be. No interest in scoring or winning, they just came looking for a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Against the Habs last week they were exactly what I expected a late season Torts team to be. No interest in scoring or winning, they just came looking for a fight.

That could be bad for the Isles who only have Matt Martin and Anders Lee to drop the gloves. Martin does it very sparingly (can't blame him) and Lee is willing, but not exactly good at fighting. Mayfield is willing but out for the season.

I hadn't realized the Rangers had jumped up to Eastern #1. So WC2 would be perfect for the Isles- play the Rangers in round 1 and anything can happen. Hockey would be the focus in NY for like a week. :toot:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:11 pm 

April 2nd. Isles first time winning the 2nd game of a back to back set. :toot:

2-1 win vs the Blackhawks. Barzal looks like he is willing to carry the team into the playoffs on his back.
Holmstrom got back into the lineup and made it count, getting the game winner. It was ugly, but ugly goals win games, especially in the playoffs.

A few days off. 1 point out of a playoff spot, for the moment. I still doubt they'll make it, but at least they're keeping it all interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 am 

Isles at Blue Jackets tonight. As Admiral Ackbar would say, "it's a traaaaaaaap!" Hopefully the Isles play a full 60 minute game. And hopefully the Penguins take care of the Caps. That sure would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:26 pm 

4-2 win with a fucking empty netter!!! Woooo! Third of the season. :lol:
Caps lost to the Pens so the isles are back in a playoff spot. For tonight. One point behind Philly for Metro 3. One point ahead of the Caps, but they have a game in hand. As much as it would be a more secure spot to get to Metro 3, I'd rather they get WC2 and play the Rangers than the Hurricanes. The unexpected usually happens when the Isles and Rangers meet. They haven't met in the playoffs in like 30 years. Holy shit, I think it's actually 30 years. THIRTY YEARS! Crazy.

Anyway.
6 games left. 4 at home.
Home vs Nashville
Home vs Rangers
Home vs Montreal
at Rangers
at Devils
Home vs Penguins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:

Anyway.
6 games left. 4 at home.
Home vs Nashville
Home vs Rangers
Home vs Montreal
at Rangers
at Devils
Home vs Penguins

That's a great schedule to finish the year. no travel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm 

Isles wake up in a playoff spot, and the Earth moves in the northeast... If they're still in one Monday, the sun will go dark!

Remaining schedules of the 5 teams fighting for 2 playoff spots.
For my own sanity I'm going to update this list. As of the morning of 4/8:

Philly 83 points. 4 games left (2 on road, 2 home) Currently EC11
4/5- at Buffalo - Loss
4/6- at Columbus (hopefully back to back hurts them) Loss

4/9- at Montreal
4/11- at Rangers
4/13- vs Devils
4/16- vs Caps (bummer one of them will get 2 points)

Caps 83 points. 5 games left (3 on road, 2 home) Currently EC10
4/5- at Carolina - Loss
4/7- vs Ottawa- OT Loss

4/9- at Detroit (bummer for the Isles- go Red Wings!)
4/11- at Buffalo
4/13- vs Tampa
4/15- vs Boston Hopefully Tampa and Boston stomp them into wine and break their spririt.
4/16- at Philly. Back to back favors Philly who will be on 3 days rest.

Red Wings 84 points. 5 games left (3 on road, 2 home). Currently WC2.
4/5- vs Rangers - Loss
4/7- vs Buffalo- WIN. Pretty much ends Buffalo's playoff hopes.

4/9- vs Caps
4/11- at Pittsburgh
4/13- at Toronto
4/15- vs Montreal
4/16- at Montreal Nice that they have back to back. Hopefully Montreal relish the spoiler role!

Pittsburgh 84 points. 5 games left (2 on road, 3 home) Currently EC9
4/6- vs Tampa - Win. Fucking Bolts always find a way to fuck the Isles.
4/8- at Toronto - OTL
4/11- vs Detroit
4/13- vs Boston
4/15- vs Nashville
4/17- at Isles. Weird how they have no back to backs when everyone else does.

Isles 85 points. 5 games left (2 on road*, 3 home) Currently M3. Magic number down to 9, with 5 games to go.
4/6- vs Nashville WIN.
4/9- vs Rangers
4/11- vs Montreal
4/13- at Rangers
4/15- at Devils
4/17- vs Pittsburgh. Okay, maybe not everyone has a back to back set left, but it shouldn't be allowed for Pittsburgh.
*The two road games are in very unfriendly arenas, but at least they're pretty much done traveling. For the regular season... It's also possible that the Devils will be eliminated by then and their arena may be full of Isles fans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 pm 

Out of town scoreboard was as friendly as possible tonight. Sorry Bosc and RW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:57 pm 
Big in Japan

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1776033648271139311?t=gD7W_Y7wQcpGZ7mKtLT8cA&s=19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:20 am 

E.L. wrote:

That's the 2nd or 3rd time this year someone's done that to him. It's a really shitty way to get scored on, possibly adding injury to insult, but compared to many of the crazy saves he makes most nights, I'll take 2-3 of that per year. Although Butch Goring was really pissed about that one, especially in such a big game. And Butch made a great point- that's the type of goal that will happen in a playoff series and maybe decide a game. I'd be pissed if that happened.

Checked good ol' Sportsclubstats for playoff odds. They take strength of schedule into account, unlike most sites.

Red Wings- 57.2%
Isles- 51.7%

Fyers- 34.6%
Pens- 31.0%
Caps- 24.1%

I like that outcome for this site. That would put the Isles in Metro3 and Red Wings in WC2. Red Wings v Rangers and Isles v Canes? I don't like the Isles' chances vs a reloaded 'Canes team, but I'll take it vs not making the playoffs, especially since they're close enough that their draft pick wouldn't be a high one. This draft is deep, but not at like 12-16, which is where the Isles would be if they miss the playoffs.

Isles magic number is 12, and their tragic number is 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:16 pm 

Isles shut out the Preds. Pens win but Flyers lose.
2-0 win. Varlamov was great. They need to ride his hot hand for now. Sorokin has looked improved, but not himself at all. This is why you pay big money for a backup. Or at least, if you're going to pay big money for a backup, don't be afraid to use him more than a traditional backup.
Dobson with goals in two straight after a long drought. Palmieri hit the empty net! FOUR empty net goals on the year now!!! Holy flaming shit balls!

Magic number down to 10. Which isn't exactly great news, since they have 5 games left. :lol: The race for M3 and WC2 is tighter than a dolphin's asshole.

Trotz was at the game. Received a tribute video and standing ovation. As he should.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:27 pm 

Isles vs Rangers tonight.

Red Wings vs Caps.

Flyers vs Canadiens.

All huge games, with major playoff implications.

The teams I'd like to win are in bold. :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:15 pm 

Isles up 3-0 after first period vs Rangers. Zibanedouchebag slew footed Palmieri, causing Palmieri to slam his head on the ice. Palmieri is usually pretty mellow. He was screaming at the refs afterwards, shoved Zib, who skated away like the candy ass that he is. It was no accident. Zib caught up to Palmieri, put his left arm on the front of Palmieri's right shoulder, and brought his left leg to the back of Palmieri's right skate. Scummy move and I hope someone teaches him some manners. Dick.

Anyway. Barzal got a penalty shot a few minutes into the game, and of course, was stopped. Isles can't buy a shootout goal, so why would they score on their only penalty shot (either way) all year long? :lol: I can laugh since they're up 3-0, but that's not a safe lead, even if the Isles are dominating in all ways so far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next