OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2023 off-season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:00 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Supposedly the offer was in fact Pageau and Wahlstrom for DeBrincat. I'm glad it didn't go through. Isles need Pageau for faceoffs and defense. They'd also need another C if they'd done that, or they'd be moving Barzal back to C, which would be a mistake in my opinion.

Sorokin & Shesterkin working out together here. Between them they made just about $10M last year. They're working out by pushing an SUV up a slight hill. Old school Rocky IV shit right there. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:17 am 

Greg Cronin finally made a great move for the Islanders! The new Ducks coach hired away Brent Thompson as an assistant NHL coach. He'd been the Bridgeport Islanders (fka Sound Tigers) HC for the past 10 years or so. They missed the playoffs most years and haven't won a playoff round in 20 years. So it wasn't all him, but the Isles' development has been shit for almost 20 years. They call someone up and they look clueless, even though Lou is the GM for both teams. You'd think there'd be continuity between the two teams owned/GMed by the same group.

Now the big question is who will coach Bridgeport. Need someone who develops young players well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:31 pm 

Rick Kowalsky named Bridgeport Islanders new HC. Former Devils property? Of course. Hopefully he's a good coach and helps develop the yutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:52 am 
Big in Japan

My favourite Islanders "insider," Incarcerated Bob on Twitter, posted a bunch of Dobson highlights with no context around the draft and free agency. Probably just riling up the fanbase, but it's clear other teams are asking about him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
My favourite Islanders "insider," Incarcerated Bob on Twitter, posted a bunch of Dobson highlights with no context around the draft and free agency. Probably just riling up the fanbase, but it's clear other teams are asking about him.

I'd love to know what he did for Snow to ban him from the building. I started a rumor that he parked in Snow's personal spot and quite a few people believed me. :laugh:
But yeah, since then he's done all kinds of stuff to rile up Isles fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:46 am 
Big in Japan

Did not know Bob and Snow feuded. Maybe that's what put Bob in jail originally? Bob is surprisingly in touch with Habs news, but it makes sense given how connected Hughes, Gorton, and MSL are in the northeast US.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Did not know Bob and Snow feuded. Maybe that's what put Bob in jail originally? Bob is surprisingly in touch with Habs news, but it makes sense given how connected Hughes, Gorton, and MSL are in the northeast US.

It was never fully clear if the feud was with Snow or Wang but one day on Twitter Botta said he’d been told by Snow personally that he was permanently banned from the Isles’ facilities. Soon after he took the name incarcerated Bob. He’d been a good Isles beat writer up to that point but was critical of the team. Guess they figured they couldn’t fire him from a newspaper job but they could make it almost impossible for him to cover them. I believe he was told no access to players/staff either. Sure they were told not to speak to him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:54 am 

Wahlstrom rejected his QO of $875k. Isles have about $1.1M before they hit the cap. Parise hasn't decided if he's playing again, or at least, the info isn't public yet. If Wahlstrom & Parise are back, that bumps Gauthier or Holmstrom back to Bridgeport.

Jakub Skarek has also rejected his QO. He hasn't even looked good in the AHL for the most part. Maybe he'll head back to Europe. AHL save %s- .888, .887, .896, .892. Hardly stellar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:28 am 

Went to an Isles legend meet & greet yesterday. Met Billy Smith, Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin and John Tonelli. Bobby Nystrom and Butch Goring couldn't make it, and should be back there Tuesday, which I might be able to make.

Trottier was especially cool. He chatted with Ms.18.2 for a bit. I told him I loved his book and he lit up, all excited. Gave me a huge fist bump. When I say huge, I mean the guy's hands are frigging massive. Always knew he was strong but his hands surprised me. Billy Smith asked what was said and Trottier told him "this guy was just saying how much he loved the greatest book ever, written, MINE!" Smith gave a derisive snort and looked at me expectantly. So I said "I read some great stories about you in Jamie MacLennan's book!" Trottier gave a loud laugh and Smith muttered "yeahhhhh, I'll bet." I was waiting for him to slash me. :lol: Chatted with them a few seconds and got shuffled along to Potvin and Tonelli. Told Potvin that I learned hip checks watching him and taught both my daughters, who use them well. Said he helped keep a dying art alive. He was really psyched to hear that and asked Ms18.2 about her hockey playing. I tried talking to Tonelli but then Potvin noticed Ms18.2's #91 jersey and said "wait a second! A 91 jersey with a C? And Goring written on the back??? What's up with that?" She slyly smiled and said we couldn't keep that other guy's name on her jersey. Trottier took a photo and said he was sending it to Goring, telling him he has to sign it for her when he's up here on Tuesday. Then a photo was taken, and we were pretty much booted. So I didn't get to talk to Tonelli a lot, but ironically, was given a Tonelli signed puck. :lol:

So hopefully I can make it Tuesday and get Butch to sign Ms18.2's jersey. She won't be around (in Fl with Mrs18 for a few days), which is a bummer, because she loves listening to Butch.

Kind of a weird event- they had jerseys you could buy and get signed, but they weren't actual Isles jerseys. They were Isles colored jerseys but the crest said "NY Legends" - with the fisherman. I couldn't buy one. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Really cool. Great how engaging they were with Ms18.2!

I played a lot of hockey in John Tonelli arena growing up :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:31 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Bosc wrote:

Man that rink was like -20 degrees :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:50 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Really cool. Great how engaging they were with Ms18.2!

Yeah they were really cool. Wish we had more time to talk to them. I fucked up and thought it started at 11. Didn't start til 2, so I was pretty annoyed to begin with. Then we got rushed. But we also wound up with a photo we didn't pay for, and an extra autographed puck. Trying to make it to meet Butch & Nystrom tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:47 pm 
OTP Historian

Scott 679 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Man that rink was like -20 degrees :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:55 pm 

I almost wish Lou held onto the signing info so at least I could speculate all summer long. The only question mark is if Parise is coming back.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

This feels like a lockout. :lol:

Summer is taking forever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:17 am 

Now out of his contract with the Isles, Garth Snow recently told the NY Post that it was all Scott Malkin's decision not to trade Tavares back in 2018. Snow never says he wanted to, just that he feels bad Tavares gets so much hate from Isles fans for having left as a UFA. Snow is the one who told the public back then that Tavares asked NOT to be traded at the deadline, so there's some serious Uno- Reverse card shit going on here. I think Snow is just looking to be in headlines again, mostly in hopes of reminding other teams that he's still alive, and is now available. Throwing shade at the silent owner of the team that kept you employed in "an advisory" role for 5 years probably isn't the best way to impress other teams, but Snow wasn't exactly a genius GM. His best day by far was getting Leddy and Boychuk from the cap strapped Blackhawks and Bruins, respectively. His other good moves were finding diamonds in the rough on the waiver wire under a shoe string budget from Wang.

If anyone gives a shit, Tavares said repeatedly that he intended to re-sign with the Isles, the greats play their whole career with one team, he loved LI, etc. It's been 5+ years. The Isles look bad going into this year, but certainly have had more success without him than they had with him. I don't like how he handled all of it, but am happy Tavares is gone. His cap hit would have made them even worse than they are going into this year.

Also, the year before Tavares hit free agency, Snow let Okposo and Nielsen walk. He never even called Okposo, if Okposo's camp is to be believed. And I believe him. Nielsen said Snow only called him after Stamkos re-signed with the Bolts. By then Nielsen was pissed and left, for nothing. Snow's secondary answer, after failing with all his eggs in Stamkos' basket, was to sign Andrew Ladd to a 7 year, $7M aav contract. Brilliance! That's where he lost me.

I only posted this because I figure someone else might. [flash=]https://eyesonisles.com/posts/ex-ny-islanders-gm-garth-snow-says-it-was-scott-malkin-s-call-not-to-trade-tavares-01h89f8hee18[/flash] I believe the NY Post has a paywall, and it's a rag anyway, so I don't even want to directly link it. F them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:25 pm 

Snow further interviewed- https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2023/8 ... s#comments
In short, Snow ‘fessed to being behind both of the 2014 first-round picks that amounted to nothing:

On Michael Dal Colle (selected 5th overall), he said scouts wanted Nikolaj Ehlers (selected four slots later at 9th overall), but he overruled them in part because Ehler shared Nino Niederreiter’s agent, and that guy was kind of a dick. In Snow’s mild defense, Dal Colle was widely seen to go around #5-7, so it wasn’t a reach. But his own scouts apparently knew better.
On Josh Ho-Sang, Snow shared that scouts did not want to pick him at #27, but Snow had a cowboy moment and overruled them. (They didn’t exactly miss on any big or sure-fire names immediately following, though Adrian Kempe and Ivan Barbashev have had nice careers.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:15 pm 
Big in Japan

I just kinda love that Snow has been sitting around all these years, unable to speak out about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I always thought Snow was a surprisingly good GM for a guy who had literally no prior experience, and in hindsight that may still be the case, but he wasn't quite as good as I had originally thought. Still played a part in building a decent foundation. If he continually whiffed somewhere it was in hiring coaches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:29 am 

Josh Bailey with an open and honest thanks to Isles fans. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/josh-bailey-nhl-hockey-new-york-islanders?fbclid=IwAR3YJP--lT-uiYIWCJyNU4OQtgk7IK2kLMYOK1STHx6cPthWFTuzlG787aY

I actually hoped they’d bring him back on a cheap contract if Parise doesn’t play but I think this letter makes it clear it won’t happen. He’s a good player but was overpaid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Bailey PTO with Ottawa. What's the NHL record for most 10+ goal seasons without scoring 20? Because Bailey did it 11 times and that feels like a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next