OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2023 off-season
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:30 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I should move some stuff from the 22-23 schedule into here, but as you probably know, I'm too lazy to do such things.

Still no word on Lamoriello or coaches staying, going, breakdancing or anything.

Sorokin was named a Vezina finalist. That's NOT what I want to see! His contract is up next year and they are up against the Cap with a bunch of long term contracts and Lou has given out NTCs like they're M&Ms.

Post subject: Re: 2023 off-season
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:19 am 

Rumo(u)r around ye olde hindernet is that the Isles have offered Lou a 3 year extension as Pres/GM. He's 80. He could hire a GM at any moment, maybe handing the reins over to his son, Chris Lamoriello (called CLam for short, by me anyway), but there hasn't been a peep out of the org officially about anything. Some say he was waiting for Toronto to be knocked out and Dubas fired, then Lou would bring Dubas to the Isles. I don't think that's happening. But rumo(u)rs are just that, and at least it's something to talk about. As unlikely as that sounds, so was Peca going to play for the Leafs after Tucker submarined his knee. Anything can happen. I also don't expect Dubas to be fired.

But we're still waiting on any news. Is Lambert back? Is MacLean and his 30th ranked PP back? If so, WHY??? What kind of video does he have of Lou?

Just another boring off-season post with no real news.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Rumo(u)r around ye olde hindernet is that the Isles have offered Lou a 3 year extension as Pres/GM. He's 80. He could hire a GM at any moment, maybe handing the reins over to his son, Chris Lamoriello (called CLam for short, by me anyway), but there hasn't been a peep out of the org officially about anything. Some say he was waiting for Toronto to be knocked out and Dubas fired, then Lou would bring Dubas to the Isles. I don't think that's happening. But rumo(u)rs are just that, and at least it's something to talk about. As unlikely as that sounds, so was Peca going to play for the Leafs after Tucker submarined his knee. Anything can happen. I also don't expect Dubas to be fired.

But we're still waiting on any news. Is Lambert back? Is MacLean and his 30th ranked PP back? If so, WHY??? What kind of video does he have of Lou?

Just another boring off-season post with no real news.

I would be shocked beyond belief if Lou chose Kyle Dubas to be his successor. No fuckin' way that's happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:54 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

I would be shocked beyond belief if Lou chose Kyle Dubas to be his successor. No fuckin' way that's happening.

Yeah, me too. Just relaying what people are saying. Sometimes I wonder if people say it just because it's so ironic and they want clicks.

Still nothing to report. Shrug.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If Lou was gonna name anyone to be his heir apparent I would've bet anything it was Mark Hunter. But Hunter did not follow Lou to Long Island, so that's probably a moot point.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:29 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
If Lou was gonna name anyone to be his heir apparent I would've bet anything it was Mark Hunter. But Hunter did not follow Lou to Long Island, so that's probably a moot point.

I don't know if anyone would want to be Lou's GM successor with him in the President's office. He'd be likely to fire you and take over at any moment like he did with the Devils years ago, firing the coach and taking the reins himself right before the playoffs. Was that Lemaire he fired? Not sure if old age would help him mellow or he's more likely to yell at clouds.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:39 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I don't know if anyone would want to be Lou's GM successor with him in the President's office. He'd be likely to fire you and take over at any moment like he did with the Devils years ago, firing the coach and taking the reins himself right before the playoffs. Was that Lemaire he fired? Not sure if old age would help him mellow or he's more likely to yell at clouds.

I think Larry Robinson left mid-season(near the end of a season?) because of stress. Was it Ftorek he fired and replaced with Robison right near the end of the season and then they won the Cup?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:41 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah it was Ftorek fired with 8 games left in the 99-00 season and Robinson came in and they won it.

https://nypost.com/2000/03/24/panicky-d ... -as-coach/

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:40 am 

Bosc wrote:
Yeah it was Ftorek fired with 8 games left in the 99-00 season and Robinson came in and they won it.

Didn't he fire another coach near season's end and get behind the bench himself? Lemaire maybe?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:21 pm 

In today's bit of "why don't you just piss in my soda?" Islanders news, they've given Kyle MacLean a 1 year extension. He was on Bridgeport last year and likely will be again, but if you're wondering, yes, his father is none other than PP-killer John MacLean. I can't really see them extending the kid and then firing his father, so that means John MacLean is back to continue running a PP that is historically bad. Fuck me with a shovel.

They also signed Daylan Kuefler to an ELC. Last year's 6th round pick. He's 21 but was only drafted last year? Weird. 61 points in 54 WHL games. Shrug.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Didn't he fire another coach near season's end and get behind the bench himself? Lemaire maybe?

Claude Julien!

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2022/05/ ... firings/3/

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:17 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Claude Julien!

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2022/05/ ... firings/3/

Thanks! Couldn't remember who it was.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:42 pm 

Still no word from the Isles mgt on anything. Fans are losing their minds. I find it pretty funny. Like, do you really need the GM to come out and say in a press conference that while they wish they went farther in the playoffs, that the season was still a success under a new coach? Or any other hockey cliches? Is Lambert returning? I assume so, but if not, I have no say in the matter so what difference does my opinion make? Fans act as though their opinion on the matter counts for something. I suppose we all feel that way and that's why sites like this exist, but it's just hysterical to see fans losing their minds that Lou hasn't told them his off-season plan yet. "I'm not renewing my season tickets until I hear from Lou! I need to know his plan!" Really? Like you're going to stop watching a team you've followed for decades because the GM hasn't held a press conference? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:15 am 

Still no official news, but Engvall may find a horse head in his bed. On social media he shared the Isles wishing him a happy birthday and updated his bio to say his home is NY. Fans are taking that to mean he's signed an extension with the Isles but Lou won't announce it. Engvall may be in trouble for sharing sooooooo much info outside Lou's cone of silence. :lol:

In other Isles news, there is no Isles news. Draft is coming soon. I guess we'll find out who the current GM is when they step up to the podium.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:55 pm 

Isles will play the Rangers Feb 18th in a stadium series game. Devils play the Flyers the day before. All these games at MetLife stadium, home to the Giants and Jets. I'll be yawning for that build up. Stadium series games are so overhyped. I liked the way they did it last time though, with the Devils, Rangers and Isles all playing each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:31 am 

Rumor is Lou will address the media today. Waiting til the middle of the SCF after being eliminated in the first round - he'd better have some really detailed info and a great plan to discuss.

Spoiler- he won't discuss much of anything. It's Lou.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:49 am 

Lou with nothing surprising to say. Only thing of any note is admitting Bailey is “near the end” of his time with the Isles. Besides that it was GM quotes 1-7. Believes in the group, wants to sign their UFAs, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:15 am 
Big in Japan

Bailey is an easy cap dump: 5M cap hit with a 3.5M salary. Enjoy Tempe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:33 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Bailey is an easy cap dump: 5M cap hit with a 3.5M salary. Enjoy Tempe.

I hope so. I mean, the Coyotes can use some veteran presence, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:45 am 

Isles get a new investor, John Collins, former NHL COO. He'll oversee their business ops.

Also signed prospect Eetu Liukas to an entry-level deal. He’s another grinder. Just what they needed! Okay, if they let Martin or Clutterbuck go somehow, this guy would probably fit well on the 4th line, but for now, we all know that 4th line isn't going anywhere. It's Lou's sacred cow.