OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 off-season
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles bring back Corey Schneider on a 1-way deal, but he's the third goalie so headed to Bridgeport (unless of course they salary dump Varlamov, which I don't see happening, and if they do, they'll need a better backup than Schneider). He's the mandatory former Devil signing for this year.
Also signed Parker Wotherspoon and Nikita Soshnikov to 1 year deals. Soshnikov was a Leaf when Lou was GM, then a Blue, then KHL teams. He's 5'10", 174 lbs. I assume he's Bridgeport bound, but he may think he's got a shot at the big club. They've got Wahlstrom, Bellows, Johnston as forwards 12-14. Wahlstrom has a cannon of a shot, Bellows is a fringe NHLer but has better NHL numbers in fewer games and is much bigger. Johnston is a 4th line enforcer, a skill Soshnikov certainly doesn't have. So this is a little weird, unless of course Lou doesn't mind paying him $750k to be in Bridgeport. People brought up that Soshnikov would rather be in Bridgeport than Ukraine. I guess that's a possibility. Or he sees the Isles forward roster as a place he could get into with just one injury. He's apparently a "shoot first" guy so maybe it'll work for him.

I haven't done this in a while, so what the hell:

Beauvillier-Barzal-Wahlstrom (is he the shooter Barzal has always needed?)
Lee-Nelson-Palmieri
Parise-Pageau-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Extras- Bellows-Johnston. Maybe either Panik or Soshnikov. Martin and Clutterbuck will likely need lots of rest, so those extra forwards could see quite a bit of playing time. Lou has said he sees Johnston in a platoon role with Martin. I could see Raty called up simply because he's a C, where most of their prospects in Bridgeport are wings.

Pelech-Dobson
Romanov-Pulock
Salo*-Mayfield
Extra- Aho or possibly Cholowski. *Salo is waiver exempt, so even though he seems like the best D-man of the group he could find himself sent down if Cholowski looks even remotely decent, or if Lambert just continues Trotz's hatred of young guys.

Sorokin - Varlamov. Hopefully Sorokin gets the bulk of the starts.

Random reminder, Rick DiPietro gets $1.5M for another 6 years. No cap hit.

Also of note- both HC Lane Lambert & AC John MacLean (mandatory former Devil coach signing for this year) both have kids in Isles camp. Everyone claims they'll get no special treatment.

Camp should be pretty boring, other than the jockeying for line arrangements and the last F & D spots. Not a lot up in the air, barring any moves or serious injuries to key personnel (please don't happen).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:31 am 

Boychuk officially added to a player development role. With his personality and the adversity he went through to make the NHL, he’s perfect for that position.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:31 am 

Barzal with some rule change ideas. He has a LIST of changes he wants to see saved on his phone. :lol: https://www.thehockeybeast.com/nhl/mathew-barzal-wants-to-get-rid-of-referees-on-the-ice-with-the-wildest-suggestion-on-rule-changes-in-the-nhl/
Biggest one is trying to get at least one ref off the ice since he says they're always in the way.

Panik isn't in Isles camp. He's under contract for this year. Not sure if he's hurt or released from his contract and playing in Europe. No word on why he's not there.

Lee-Pageau-Wahlstrom was a line in practice. Interesting. Lee and Wahlstrom are probably below average skaters but Pageau is above average.

Maybe then
Beauvillier-Barzal-Palmieri
Parise-Nelson-Bailey (or Bellows)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:28 am 

Hopefully the old adage of a good pre-season = doom for the regular season (and vice versa). Isles are 0-2 with a pair of 4-1 losses to the Rangers and Devils. I missed both games since I was away for a conference. I've read that almost nobody looked good for the Isles and Lane Lambert was saying they need to do a lot of work on special teams and new systems. I'm glad they're changing the systems a bit for more offense, but I'd think they'd be better prepared going into games, even if they're pre-season.

The 2 goals so far have been scored by Salo & Soshnikov, two guys hoping to make good impressions and squeeze onto the NHL roster. I could see Salo making it, although I think he's the only one with a real chance who is waiver exempt. That's worked against Islander D men in the past.

Next game is Sunday vs Philly. Hopefully Torts has some sort of blow up that will be amusing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:29 pm 

Lambert said he has been very impressed with him but only sees Raty as a C, which pretty much means he's not making the team out of camp. I assume he'd be the first call up if another C gets injured.

Lee said they're going to be far more aggressive in the offensive zone under Lambert's coaching. Good!

Soshnikov is being given every opportunity to make the big club out of camp. The only waiver exempt forward they have is Wahlstrom and he's been decent so I can't see them sending him down to keep Soshnikov. No idea who they would risk waiving to keep Soshnikov. Johnston? He's not a great player, but he's got value as the replacement to Martin in the 4L spot. He's got better hands than Martin at this point, both for scoring the occasional goal and punching faces. Martin seems reluctant to fight since becoming a father.

Game vs the Flyers tonight. I don't think it's on TV in NY. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 pm 

2-1 win over Flyers. :toot: Palmieri and Mayfield with the goals. Varlamov played 2 periods and gave up 1 goal to Q'Angelo. Skarek played really well in the third.

Yay?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:13 am 

Isles send 15 players down to Bridgeport, including Kyle MacLean and Jimmy Lambert. MacLean was on Bridgeport the last 2 years and Lambert is fresh out of college.

Soshnikov is being given a really good opportunity to show he belongs in the NHL. Salo also. Salo I expected to make the team. I did not expect Soshnikov to have a real chance. That's going to throw a big monkey wrench into the system. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am 

I didn't mind ads on jerseys or helmets. Now the Isles are getting ads for "JackPocket". It sounds like a Fleshlight competitor. No thanks. Take that shit off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

:lol:

There are some billboard ads around here for pinkcherry and the slogan is brilliant - Scream Your Own Name.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:00 pm 

Bosc wrote:

There are some billboard ads around here for pinkcherry and the slogan is brilliant - Scream Your Own Name.

On another note, Barzal signs an 8 year deal with a $9.15 AAV. A bit higher than I'd hoped for but hey, at least their 1C isn't bolting!
Now figure out who the fuck can be successful on his wing!

I'd still like to see Beauvillier-Barzal-Palmieri.
They've been running Parise on his left wing. Parise was much better than his numbers last year, but he wasn't 1st line good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

On another note, Barzal signs an 8 year deal with a $9.15 AAV. A bit higher than I'd hoped for but hey, at least their 1C isn't bolting!
Now figure out who the fuck can be successful on his wing!

I'd still like to see Beauvillier-Barzal-Palmieri.
They've been running Parise on his left wing. Parise was much better than his numbers last year, but he wasn't 1st line good.

With the cap set to go up (waaaaaay up according to some) in the future that number was bound to be high.

Besides, Mat with one "t" had their balls in a vise. There's no other player like him on the roster.

We'll see how he does with Lambert behind the bench--it's clear his relationship with Trotz was not stellar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:14 pm 

Yeah, Barzal and Trotz butted heads. Lambert is said to be taking the leash off the offense a bit, but still concentrating on team D. I also wonder if Lambert was the typical "players' assistant coach" go-between for Barzal and Trotz, so Barzal expects a smoother run now.

Either way, I'm pretty happy about this! And you all know how common that is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:46 am 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:

Chris18 wrote:
I didn't mind ads on jerseys or helmets. Now the Isles are getting ads for "JackPocket". It sounds like a Fleshlight competitor. No thanks. Take that shit off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 am 

More players assigned to Bridgeport Islanders: goaltender Jakub Skarek and forwards William Dufour, Simon Holmstrom, Ruslan Iskhakov and Aatu Raty. Bummer on Raty, as I hoped he'd make the big team.

Isaiah George has been assigned to the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.

Still a few cuts to make, but getting closer to an NHL roster.

Hockey season is almost here! :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:05 pm 

A few guys waived:

Cory Schneider
Dennis Cholowski (I guess Salo has the 6th spot locked up)
Hudson Fasching
Arnaud Durandeau
Cole Bardreau
Andy Andreoff

Only slight surprise is Cholowski. I thought they might keep him up and send down Salo since he's waiver exempt. They've done that sort of stuff in the past. I hope those days are over.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:51 pm 
Big in Japan

That Barzal contract is a lot. A bet he can get back to PPG. I don't think he's a 9M guy, but if you don't lock them up early you're SOL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

He’s very similar to Jack Hughes—elite speed and potentially elite skill, but not an elite shot. Still, he’s the one pure skill forward the Isles have, they weren’t in a position of strength.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:13 am 

Not to mention if Barzal left BIA free agency, it would look terrible. Losing a second consecutive 1C… So keeping him was important for morale and keeping the dan base happy. Even if done agree that it’s an overpay. I think with Lambert loosening the reigns on the offense a bit Barzal may get over a ppg pace. He made a comment that people are hanging on- that he’s excited for a fresh coaching staff. I guess he and Trotz really didn’t get along. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:04 pm 

Several guys sent down yesterday are in tonight’s game. Weird. Raty and Holmstrom in.

Barzal and Dobson with goals after the first. Two guys who signed in the off-season. Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:14 am 

Ruh Roh Shaggy. Looks like Mayfield, Clutterbuck, Cizikas and Wahlstrom are all hurt. No info on their injuries, but they've all missed practices for 3-4 days now. And that's why Holmstrom and Raty were called right back up.
Raty with a nice goal.

If those guys are still out opening night, that means the Isles will once again have Aho on D. Ug. Cizikas is still a good 4C and Clutterbuck, when healthy (which is rare these days) is a good 4RW. But he's always hurt, which means Ross Johnston will get more ice time. Johnston isn't terrible, but Johnston and Martin together is not good. It's an old school goon squad, that can't keep in today's NHL. Clutterbuck with Johnston is much better.

Wahlstrom missing any time sucks. I was hoping he'd have his breakout year.

Soshnikov is still playing well. Lambert said the field of players who could make the opening night roster has expanded. Maybe Lou could pull off a good ol' fashioned quantity for quality trade. :lol:

I should also point out that Barzal had an A on his jersey for the first time. I like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next