OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 off-season
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:39 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I couldn't see moving either Pageau or Nelson from C. They're both far too good defensively. And neither should be moved to the 4C spot. If they sign Kadri, and that's a big if, and don't move out a C, I'd move Barzal to Kadri's wing. Then when (not if, when) Kadri gets suspended, Barzal can take back his 1C spot.

Nelson is good defensively now? Wasn't his calling card for a while that he was atrocious in his own zone but could put the puck in the net?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:14 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I couldn't see moving either Pageau or Nelson from C. They're both far too good defensively. And neither should be moved to the 4C spot. If they sign Kadri, and that's a big if, and don't move out a C, I'd move Barzal to Kadri's wing. Then when (not if, when) Kadri gets suspended, Barzal can take back his 1C spot.

Nelson is good defensively now? Wasn't his calling card for a while that he was atrocious in his own zone but could put the puck in the net?

He’s been good defensively for a while. Even pre-Trotz he was good in his end. The Capuano and Weight “systems” tended to ignore the D zone but that wasn’t on the players as much as coaches who needed a GPS to find the D zone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 am 

The Ilya has landed! Sorokin went bowling on Long Island last night with Romanov.
That's a big relief. I wouldn't want to see them do it yet, but they could move Varlamov to knock $5M off their cap hit. I think it's too soon to pull that trigger, especially if they don't get a backup goalie in return. Nobody in Bridgeport seems NHL ready.

Still more rumors of Kadri signing with the Isles. Pagnotta says it's a 7 year deal. I hope not, but I assume so. Years 4-5 of that will be huge overpays, but Lou liked Kadri in Toronto, so I could see it happening. IF Kadri is brought in, that gives them Barzal, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau and Cizikas at C. I'd move Barzal to Kadri's wing and make the top line Lee-Kadri-Barzal. The 2nd & 3rd lines depend on who gets moved to make room for Kadri. We all know the 4th line will be the sacred cow of Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck. Unless they bump Clutterbuck up to 3rd line to put Johnston on the 4th line.

Dufour and Raty are doing well in the WJC. :Butch: I hope to see Raty on the Isles out of camp, but I know better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, if ever there was a situation where you could easily dump salary, it's sending Varlamov to Vegas since they are in need of a 1A or 1B goalie now. As was pointed out to me, McPhee was the guy who drafted him in the first place, so that kinda makes sense.

The details of that Kadri contract look kinda hefty, but I couldn't be happier for the guy. Get your payday bro, you more than earned it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:05 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, if ever there was a situation where you could easily dump salary, it's sending Varlamov to Vegas since they are in need of a 1A or 1B goalie now. As was pointed out to me, McPhee was the guy who drafted him in the first place, so that kinda makes sense.

The details of that Kadri contract look kinda hefty, but I couldn't be happier for the guy. Get your payday bro, you more than earned it.

Yeah I just saw the Lehner news. Bummer for him and Vegas. I still like the guy.
I just don't know if the Isles can find a good enough backup to give Sorokin any rest. After not making the playoffs, they can't have a guy playing 20 games who will have a save % of .890. That's about what I figure Schneider is good for these days, and there's not even a hint that he's signed, although that means nothing with the Isles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:19 pm 

Now most spundits are saying Kadri hasn’t signed with the Isles; that he’s just waiting to drive up the price.

Good news is Raty and Dufour are looking good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

He’s been good defensively for a while. Even pre-Trotz he was good in his end. The Capuano and Weight “systems” tended to ignore the D zone but that wasn’t on the players as much as coaches who needed a GPS to find the D zone.

Nice, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:20 am 

Any time anyone wants to discuss an islander, I’m here to be helpful. 20 years of an echo chamber… :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:02 pm 

Isles PR team must have given Lou a doofus so they could announce something relatively soon after missing on Kadri.

Bellows- 1 year, $1.2 M.
Romanov 3 years, $2.5 M/year.
Dobson- 3 years, $4 M/year.

That gives the Isles a hair under $3.5 M of cap space.
14 Forwards, 2 goalies and 6 D, which includes the lesser Aho. They could play Salo there and they’d have a bit over $2.5 M left to spend without any other moves. Expect a Chara or Greene 1 year deal any minute.

Maybe this gives a kid like Raty, Holmstrom or Dufour a legit chance at making the team out if camp.

Can’t believe this was announced before training camp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Lou didn't land the big fish and that's disappointing for Isles fans, but Romanov and Dobson making a combined 6.5M for the next three years, with one more year for Dobson and both ending as restricted free agents might go down as a huge bargain.

Unfortunately, the only way I see this team making a big change is moving Barzal before trying again in unrestricted free agency next summer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:10 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Lou didn't land the big fish and that's disappointing for Isles fans, but Romanov and Dobson making a combined 6.5M for the next three years, with one more year for Dobson and both ending as restricted free agents might go down as a huge bargain.

Unfortunately, the only way I see this team making a big change is moving Barzal before trying again in unrestricted free agency next summer.

I hope not. It’s not too often you get a kid with that kind of speed/skating ability. I’d prefer they lock him up long term and build around him with a sniper. I’d start Beavillier and Wahlstrom with him this year. Give 15-20 games and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:08 am 

The lesser Sebastian Aho was busted for DUI in Sweden. He blew a 0.01 the morning after partying. They have very strict rules over there! I'm pretty sure you can post that result after using mouthwash. But he and his agent (Claude Lemieux) admitted he'd drank the night before and thought he was good to drive. Hit with a fine and heading to the US. Lou says no further punishment from the Isles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:28 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
The lesser Sebastian Aho was busted for DUI in Sweden. He blew a 0.01 the morning after partying. They have very strict rules over there! I'm pretty sure you can post that result after using mouthwash. But he and his agent (Claude Lemieux) admitted he'd drank the night before and thought he was good to drive. Hit with a fine and heading to the US. Lou says no further punishment from the Isles.

0.01!? You gotta be kidding me. That's a DUI!? Jesus. The national legal limit here I believe is .05 I believe and legally drunk is .08 (and that's pretty accurate IMO, you should not be behind the wheel if you're at .08). But 0.01!?

EDIT: The NY Post (yes, I know) is reporting he blew a .03, and the legal limit in Sweden is .02. Still, that seems a tad extreme.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:27 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

0.01!? You gotta be kidding me. That's a DUI!? Jesus. The national legal limit here I believe is .05 I believe and legally drunk is .08 (and that's pretty accurate IMO, you should not be behind the wheel if you're at .08). But 0.01!?

EDIT: The NY Post (yes, I know) is reporting he blew a .03, and the legal limit in Sweden is .02. Still, that seems a tad extreme.

Oh, my bad. Still, even as a non-drinker I don’t think 0.03 is impaired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:50 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Oh, my bad. Still, even as a non-drinker I don’t think 0.03 is impaired.

The argument is probably even at 0.03, your reflexes and awareness are affected, even if only very slightly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:54 am 
Big in Japan

The Hockey Now pot stirrer folks are trying to link exiled unvaccinated defenceman Bode Wilde to the Habs as a possibility.

After all, he's clearly dunzo on Long Island, his dad lives in Montreal-West near yours truly and is a smooth skating right-handed defenceman, meaning someone could give him a shot even though he lost two years of development playing limited minutes in Tier 3 Sweden.

I just can't imagine him getting back on track after missing so much development time, but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:

I just can't imagine him getting back on track after missing so much development time, but you never know.

It would be Wilde if it did Bode well for him. :rimcrash:

Uh yeah, sure. Send back a few skate blades.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:24 pm 

Rookie camp opened today with lots of prospects and some dudes who have been around. Chili ski has 115 NHL games, more than 1 full season but he’s at “rookie” camp. :lol:
The better news is Johnny Boychuk is there in a coaching/ mentor role. I like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:58 pm 

Barzal says he loves Long Island and wants to stay; that if presented a fair deal he'd sign tomorrow. Fans are loving reading that but to me, that sounds like he's saying he hasn't been offered a fair deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:32 pm 

The date is 9-19-22, the best islanders line ever. Gillies, Trottier and Bossy. Very sad that only one of them is still alive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next