OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bossy just said he’s stepping away from his on-air role at TVA due to a lung cancer diagnosis.

Sad news.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

God damn it. Hope he gets well soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 am 
OTP Historian

Damn, get well soon Mike :x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:03 am 
Big in Japan

RIP Mile Bossy. Greatest natural goal scorer to ever play the game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:18 am 

Horrible year for former Isles. Gillies, Jean Potvin and now Gillies. I believe there was another, lesser known guy from the early days as well. All this year. :cry:

RIP Bossy. Best goal scorer ever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:27 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Horrible year for former Isles. Gillies, Jean Potvin and now Gillies. I believe there was another, lesser known guy from the early days as well. All this year. :cry:

It's perfect the Isles are playing the Habs in Montreal tonight. His two homes can mourn together. Chris, if you ever come to Montreal I'll take you to Mike Bossy Arena in Laval. Not much to see, but every kid in town has played hockey there at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

It's perfect the Isles are playing the Habs in Montreal tonight. His two homes can mourn together. Chris, if you ever come to Montreal I'll take you to Mike Bossy Arena in Laval. Not much to see, but every kid in town has played hockey there at some point.

I'm hoping to travel more over the next, well, rest of my life. Montreal is on the to-do list. I'll take you up on that!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:25 am 
OTP Historian

RIP Mike :( By all accounts a very classy and gracious dude and an absolutely ridiculous hockey player. Sad day for the Isles, hockey, and most of all his family of course.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:02 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
RIP Mike :( By all accounts a very classy and gracious dude and an absolutely ridiculous hockey player. Sad day for the Isles, hockey, and most of all his family of course.

And a cocky dude too. Saw a clip of him yesterday saying he guaranteed Bill Torrey he'd score 50 in his rookie season, before he even made the team! He was right, of course, and did it eight more times in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:50 am 

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

And a cocky dude too. Saw a clip of him yesterday saying he guaranteed Bill Torrey he'd score 50 in his rookie season, before he even made the team! He was right, of course, and did it eight more times in a row.

I've heard that one. He and Gretzky also had a bit of a public argument once. Someone asked Bossy for to create an "all time" single line and he put himself on right wing. Gretzky was told about it and went off, saying something like he'd never name himself on an all time line, that it was kind of conceited. Bossy fired back that he felt it was right, that nobody could score like himself. I tend to agree with Gretzky on this one, especially in hockey, where saying anything positive about yourself is so frowned upon. It wasn't Bossy's best public moment, but the funny thing I've always thought is- how did nobody ask Gretzky if he really thought he belonged on that all time line but just wouldn't NAME himself for fear of appearing conceited. I mean, yes, he would absolutely belong on it, but it just always struck me as amusing that he was essentially admitting that he thought he belonged on it but just wouldn't say it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:20 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I've heard that one. He and Gretzky also had a bit of a public argument once. Someone asked Bossy for to create an "all time" single line and he put himself on right wing. Gretzky was told about it and went off, saying something like he'd never name himself on an all time line, that it was kind of conceited. Bossy fired back that he felt it was right, that nobody could score like himself. I tend to agree with Gretzky on this one, especially in hockey, where saying anything positive about yourself is so frowned upon. It wasn't Bossy's best public moment, but the funny thing I've always thought is- how did nobody ask Gretzky if he really thought he belonged on that all time line but just wouldn't NAME himself for fear of appearing conceited. I mean, yes, he would absolutely belong on it, but it just always struck me as amusing that he was essentially admitting that he thought he belonged on it but just wouldn't say it.

Its not arrogance if you can back it up and false modesty is just false, not modest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Hrudey said something to the effect that Bossy would come off as arrogant but it was him putting the pressure on him because he knew he could handle it. He did it to make things easier for his teammates.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:43 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Hrudey said something to the effect that Bossy would come off as arrogant but it was him putting the pressure on him because he knew he could handle it. He did it to make things easier for his teammates.

Makes sense. I know he put a ton of pressure on himself to score the 50 in 50.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Didn't know until I read up on him after his passing that he fell in the '77 draft because teams questioned his toughness. Obviously no one questioned it ten years later.

Looking at that draft, of all the players taken before him (15th overall), Doug Wilson, Barry Beck, and Ron Duguay are the only guys I've ever even heard of. And I certainly wouldn't take any of them over Bossy in a re-draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_NHL_Amateur_Draft