OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:03 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Good news- Barzal is skating again. Bad news- so is Chara.
Apparently they play the Blue Jackets tonight. They'll lose. Badly. Season ova. Make some trades. Rig the draft. Burn this season's calendar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:56 am 

6-0 win over the Blue Jackets, to get farther from a good draft position.

Happy for Anders Lee though, who got his first career hat trick. Scored the third with 0.4 seconds left. But he got it!

Jets are in town today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:03 am 

5-2 win over the Jets with Chara in the game. And Varlamov, who fans didn't cheer for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:29 am 

Ducks today. Quack quack, motherfuckers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:42 am 

Isles fucking up their lottery chances by winning their third straight in regulation for the whopping FIRST TIME this season. When I heard that I nearly fell off the couch.
Palmieri with 2 and he should have had a hat trick but was absolutely robbed by Gibson. Palmieri stood there staring at him and eventually asked "how the fuck did you get that?" :lol:

Only 18 points out of WC2! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Is Varly moving? There just aren't any goaltending options on the market beyond MAF, and he's being selective about where he goes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Is Varly moving? There just aren't any goaltending options on the market beyond MAF, and he's being selective about where he goes.

He's got a 16 team NTC. The rumor is Edmonton will not be on that list. Supposedly Edmonton called Lou with a good offer so Lou asked Varlamov. Nope. He won't go there. But his go-to list isn't published, if he has actually written it.

Annoying game vs the Caps. Entertaining, and of course the Isles continue to be the team rookies score their first goal against. Jonsson-lkdsfhgoierugvnjbk got his first goal in his 14th game. Then Ovi sniped a shot right off a faceoff to move into 3rd all time, while Bailey stood there watching him do it. Goal broke a tie with like 5 to go in the third, right after Anson Carter said how the Isles played the last 5 would be incredibly important. :lol:

Lee had fucked up and given the puck away on the Caps' second goal, and then he tied it with about 3 to go. OT was typical OT. SO was typical Isles OT- send out guys who don't score in SOs. Why the fuck is Barzal taking SO attempts? The guy looks like he wants to pass the puck during his attempts. Misses the net almost every time. Or puts it right into the goalie. He's not a scorer. Stop sending him out in a pure scorer's situation. Fucking fuck. Enough.

Isles at Rangers on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Greiss is an option! You didn't specify good options!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:08 am 

I didn't realize how bad Greiss has been this year. Oof.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:45 am 

Isles beat the Rangers 2-1, with Lee and Pamieri scoring. Lee's got 9 goals in 6 games, and a 6 game scoring streak. Palmierie's 11th goal, 10 in the last 15 games. Where the fuck were these guys earlier in the season? 7 of 8 points in the last 4 games and they're still 18 points out of a playoff spot. "But they have 4 games in hand!" Which still won't get them even close, even if they win those 4. So all they did was further fuck their chances at a good draft position.

Sorokin and Shesterkin traded some great saves. Sorokin made a "save of the year" type, coming across the crease to rob Panarin. Norris guy, Adam Fox, left Palmieri wide open in front of Shesterkin to go pester Matt Martin and Pulock flubbed a weak shot towards Shesterkin. Palmieri just lifted his stick a little and bounced it over Shesterkin. Not exactly a ripper. :lol: But it won the game.

And I will give credit to the Ranger fans. After Kreider scored his 40th someone started the whistle for the Potvin sucks chant. They didn't finish, which means someone told them that Jean Potvin had just passed away. Good on them.

Stars at Isles on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:37 am 

Isles beat the Stars 4-2. Nelson with a hat trick (third was into an empty net). 19 points out, 4 games in hand. Sigh.

At the Flyers today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Isles beat the Stars 4-2. Nelson with a hat trick (third was into an empty net). 19 points out, 4 games in hand. Sigh.

At the Flyers today.

Stars were unimpressive against the Habs on Thursday and with their season still on the line lost to the Isles. They stink.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Stars were unimpressive against the Habs on Thursday and with their season still on the line lost to the Isles. They stink.

Yeah. But so do the Isles and Habs.

Isles lost to the fucking Flyers today. 2-1. 2 assists to puckered cat's ass-face Konecny. Boooooo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
2 assists to puckered cat's ass-face Konecny. Boooooo!

I have not heard/read that particular insult about Konecny. :laugh:

Anyway...Jesus, Lou...ya couldn't even just flip the rapidly aging carcass of Zdeno Chara for something? You did NOTHING other than extend Old Men Parise and Clutterbuck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles re-signed Clutterbuck and Parise for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:37 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
2 assists to puckered cat's ass-face Konecny. Boooooo!

I have not heard/read that particular insult about Konecny. :laugh:

I made it up while the Isles were facing them in the playoffs a few years ago. Last year? Whenever. He always puckers his lips and he just reminded me of a cat's asshole...

Pokecheque wrote:
Anyway...Jesus, Lou...ya couldn't even just flip the rapidly aging carcass of Zdeno Chara for something? You did NOTHING other than extend Old Men Parise and Clutterbuck.

I do wish they traded Chara and brought up Salo for the rest of the year. I don't think Aho is going to see much ice time after his assist to Philly on the game losing goal the other night. Yeesh. But I get not making trades just for the sake of it. They probably didn't get any real offers for Chara. He's a glorified enforcer at this point. I'd move him to wing if they want him for that reason. His D is awful and he's slower than shit rolls uphill.

Extending Parise for $750k plus $750k in bonuses- I'm a fan of it. He hasn't put up great numbers, but his effort and forechecking have been top notch all year. He's a big step up from Dal Colle, who was the team's best forechecker (besides Martin and Clutterbuck who just hit everyone).
Extending Clutterbuck certainly wasn't a surprise. Lou loves the sacred cow 4th line, and Martin and Cizikas were already locked up for another few years, so I figured this could happen. It's for $1.5 million/year, so at least it's a big step down from the money Snow had given him.

Would I prefer to see them bring in some big name? For entertainment value today, sure. But they could bring in Ovechkin, Crosby and McDavid and still miss the playoffs this year. It's done and gone. Lou's message was that he knows this year was a blip, and thinks they'll be back and better next year. I sure hope so.
Supposedly Varlamov brought a lot of calls, but not any real offers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh well, I could still see Lamoriello do some major retooling in the offseason but I don't blame him for not blowing it up after one bad year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:54 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So not watching the games why are they still alternating goalie starts when statistically one looks noticably better?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:30 am 

Hounsy wrote:
So not watching the games why are they still alternating goalie starts when statistically one looks noticably better?

Great question. I wish I knew the answer! The team generally doesn't play as well in front of Varlamov as they do for Sorokin. I thought maybe it was my imagination but Anson Carter pointed it out last night, saying he's glad to see the Isles finally give Varlamov some offensive support. Years ago the Isles had Roloson and Biron. They had almost identical save %, GAA, etc, but the team NEVER scored for Biron. They always played a lazy game with him in net. If you just looked at win/loss records you'd have thought Biron was awful. Maybe he's an awful person. John Scott complained about Biron using an ENTIRE roll of tape on each ankle before EACH period of play. Said it was one of the most annoying things he's ever heard. :lol: So maybe that did him in.

For a while they were playing Sorokin mostly. I'd stick with that. Maybe they figure this year is fucked, so ride both and save Sorokin from higher injury potential? They have Varlamov signed through next year as well. Maybe they're looking to not make him totally miserable and have a locker room issue for another full year? I don't know. But in a vacuum, I'd go with Sorokin every time at this point.

Nice patient 3-0 win vs the Sens. First goal didn't come until halfway through the third. Mayfield barely ever scored, but when he does, it's against the Sens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:42 am 

5-2 win over the Red Wings, taking only 9 seconds to score on old buddy Thomas Greiss. In the second period Wahlstrom trucked Greiss while cutting through/being pushed back by a defender. Greiss went down hard, Wahlstrom got a goalie interference penalty. Greiss finished the period but didn't come out for the third. I hope he's okay.

Speaking of injuries- Clutterbuck signed his extension, played one more game, and is now out for the year with shoulder surgery. Mayfield scored the winning goal in that game, and got nailed with a shot later on and he's out 4*-6 weeks with an LBI. *aka, the rest of the Isles' season.

Saturday at the Bruins. Sunday at home for the Lightning. Sounds like last year's playoffs. Ahhhh, playoffs, we knew ye well...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next