OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/isla ... -325662456

Isles new home won't be open until Nov 20th. 13 game road trip to start the season. That could either wear them down from travel or give them lots of time to bond like they're back in the bubble. Also obviously means they'll have a shitload of home games later in the season. They've got a 5 day break and a few 3 day breaks during the initial road trip, but it will be the 2nd longest road trip in NHL history. All I know is UBS Arena had better be ready on 11/20. They say they're on schedule. It looks like a shitload of work needs to be done to me.

They've got SIXTEEN sets of back-to-backs! So many fans had been saying they should trade Varlamov to create more cap space. That schedule will need two very good goalies.

First week at home- Flames (not a big rivalry obviously but the home opener should be packed), the Leafs and Tavares, Rangers and Penguins. Besides the Flames, that's a great set of rivals to get the new place rocking. And nothing against the Flames at all. They just don't have a rivalry of any sort, unless someone wants to bring up them being expansion draft twins from like 45 years ago. Only thing I could think of. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:37 pm 

Isles will be on US National broadcast 12 times this year. They were on once last year (prior to the playoffs). People are finally paying attention.
And I'm sure after their games people will whine that they were boring. Like they did last year in the playoffs, when they gave up like 39 shots/game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:33 am 

Looking at some season predictions, seeing quite a few that say the Isles will win the Cup. That's kind of nice to see, considering how many decades their predictions for winning were limited to the lottery draft. At the same time, the expectations are high enough that anything short of a SCF appearance will be disappointing.

That said, does anyone evaluate players/lines based on their salaries? I noticed the Isles third line is cheaper than their fourth line, but has the potential to score quite a few goals. The Isles have some top heavy contracts but quite a few very cheap players, who could be disasters or provide huge value. Points/Million? :lol:

By lines:

Forwards

Lee-Barzal-Palmieri
7 +7+5 = 19 million

Beauvillier-Nelson-Bailey
4.15+6+5 = 15.15 million

Parise-Pageau-Wahlstrom
0.75+5+0.894 = 6.64 million

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
1.5-2.5+3.5 = 7.5 million

D
Pelech-Pulock
5.75 + 5 = 10.75 million

Chara-Dobson
0.75+0.894 = 1.64 million

Greene – Mayfield
0.75 +1.45 = 2.2 million

Press Box
Forwards- Leo – 3, Johnston – 1, Bellows – 0.75 = 4.75 million
D- Aho-0.725 million

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am 
Big in Japan

I can't believe Lou crammed everyone in. This team has more depth than any in the league. That alone gives them a good shot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:34 am 

E.L. wrote:
I can't believe Lou crammed everyone in. This team has more depth than any in the league. That alone gives them a good shot.

I sure hope so! But expectations are high for them. I'm hoping to just enjoy the season and see good games. The Pulock extension is a master stroke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am 

Game #1 was one of the weirdest I can recall. Barzal scored with 12:36 remaining in the period but play continued until 10:07 when review showed that his shot fully crossed the line. Yay! Then the reset the clock back to 12:36 to restart the period. Okay. Carolina scored with like 10:45 left, so in essence, before the stoppage of play when Barzal's goal was reviewed, in a way. :lol: And I sat there wondering- how do they handle the time on ice for a game where they add back 2:29 of playing time? Goalie stats? So Anderson played 62:29 in a game that didn't go to OT? Weird. Either way the Isles' celebration was very anticlimactic.

Scoring was back and forth. Carolina scored after Neiderreiter went wide on Chara, who hooked him. No goal called on the initial play with a ref standing at the back of the net, but there was a penalty called on Chara for hooking. After Carolina celebrated, the ref saw the puck in the back of the net and the officials met, then calling it a goal. Then Trotz challenged it, which I thought was moronic. Neiderreiter did bump Sorokin, but he was in the process of being hauled down by Chara, so he wasn't in control and Chara was already being called. At least I assume it was Chara being called. Either way, the Isles lost the challenge and not only were down 4-2 after having had a 1-0 lead and a 2-2 tie, then had a penalty for a failed challenge and no TO. Just dumb to challenge it. But I don't get how the ref said the call on the ice stood, when they didn't originally call it a goal.

A few penalty calls, nobody seemed to know who was going to the box for like 10 seconds. Isles got called for icing one time late in the game when Anderson played the puck in front of the goal line. It was on net so he used his stick to send it to the corner. Linesman was right there and called it icing. Cizikas asked how the fuck he could call it. Me too. I'm not saying the Isles got hosed but I think the officiating was in pre-season form all night. Missed shit both ways, but that one really screwed the Isles and was just so clearly not an icing once touched. And the puck changed direction by like 90 degrees. It's not like it just grazed his stick. You could hear it on TV, and it wasn't the puck hitting the net frame. Oh well. On a PK Clutterbuck put the puck past Tony QueAngelo who literally just punched Clutterbuck in the face and knocked him down. No call. It wasn't a check, wasn't a hand to the chest. Full punch to the face. Is that the new NHL? Any crosscheck will be called but face punches mid-play are okay? :lol:

Overall, the Isles also looked to be in pre-season form. They had flashes of looking very good (Beauvillier was flying at times, Lee with a very Lee goal), but the D was stir fried dog shit most of the night. 6-3 loss with an en. 28 shots on Andersen, 40 on Sorokin. That's not very Islanders.

Hoping they regroup and come out better vs the Panthers. 13 game road trip could be great for bonding or horrible if they keep playing poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:42 am 

Game 2- I missed it, fortunately. 5-1 loss to the Panthers. Not even Spencer Knight shutting them down, but Bobrovsky. :chairshot: These guys need to figure this shit out and quickly.

Blackhawks up next.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 am 

Komarov on waivers.
Timashov's contract being terminated. I guess he's going back to Europe.
Martin may be in the lineup tonight.
Varlamov very close to return.

Blackhawks tonight. I may be in a town meeting for work. Boooooo to that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:07 pm 

Komarov sent to Bridgeport, which surprises me.
Martin activated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:33 am 

Isles win 4-1, blowing the shutout with 26 seconds left in the game. They challenged for offside and lost. Nice of them to try to keep the shutout for Sorokin though. It was close, but the guy's skate was up, so it's good. I'm waiting to see MFers crossing the blueline looking like figure skaters with one leg up, torso parallel to the ice...

Wahlstrom with 2. Good to see him get going. Beauvillier and Clutterbuck with the other Isles goals. Clutterbuck's was a frigging laser of a wrist shot. Fleury looks really unhappy to be in Chicago. I expect him to request a trade by December. Fans were booing the Blackhawks. Chicago's goal was scored by Entwistle, whom I expect to look like a walking tree with a train whistle when I hear his name.

In the first period, Hardman slew footed Palmieri, who was really pissed. I don't blame him. Hardman was called for tripping. Palmieri yelled at him as he went to the box. Later in the game Hardman went along the boards and Martin lined him up for a hit but Hardman tried to duck the hit, and Martin slammed Hardman's head into the boards. Hardman went down in a heap and Martin stayed there for a second looking concerned. Khaira and Martin fought a few seconds later. Hardman left the game, presumably for concussion protocol. He was wobbly getting off the ice. Hope he's okay, even though he's a slew footing jerk.

1-2 now. Blue Jackets on Thursday for game 4.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:46 am 

Isles lose 3-2 in OT to the Blue Jackets. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Game 5- 3-0 win vs the Coyotes. NHL .500 at 2-2-1. Palmieri had a goal disallowed after review for goalie interference. Coyote's goalie had just covered the puck and Palmieri poked his glove, releasing the puck which he immediately lifted up and in. Ref said he intended to blow. All agreed. Even though both refs originally signaled goal. They won anyway, but how do you change your mind and suddenly say you had intended to blow when you had signaled goal on the play? I get that goalies need protection, but it was a very quick cover/poke/score. Less than 0.5 seconds.

First back-to-back of the year tonight vs Vegas. Trotz wasn't sure if he'd play Sorokin or Schneider since Varlamov is still out. Sorokin had 28 saves in the shutout last night.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:49 pm 

Game 6- at Vegas. I have no idea what the PA guy is yelling throughout the game, but it sounds like "it's bacooooooooon!" from the old Snausages commercials. It's entertaining me a lot. I'm really tired.

Bailey gets his first of the year. 1-0 after 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:24 am 

Game 6 turned out to be a 2-0 win over old friend Lehner. Sorokin with 42 saves, and shutouts in both back-to-back games. A few saves were great. Most he was in good position for. Bailey & Barzal scoring. Bailey adding an assist on Barzal's goal. Bailey's first point was his 514th, which moved him ahead of Clark Gillies on the Isles all time points list, into sole possession of 10th place.

3-2-1 after 6. Getting better. Small line switches. Seemed time for it. Maybe after the initial jolt wears off, go back to what has worked and maybe guys will be glad to be back with comfortable line mates. Maybe.

Lee-Barzal-Bailey
Beauvillier-Nelson-Palmieri
Parise-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Pelech-Mayfield
Chara-Pulock
Greene-Dobson

Sorokin
Schneider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:52 pm 

I just realized the Isles now have 5 days off. That sucks. When they finally play again, I'll be driving to a kid's game. :fffffuck: The schedulers are dicks!

But fine, they get to come home and practice, see their families and prep for the 2nd leg of their 13 on the road to start the year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:38 am 

Supposedly Lou has said he's going to look for left-D help later in the season, presumably when some teams start falling out of playoff spots. Granted they're only 6 games in but the Isles aren't in a playoff spot at the moment so I'm not so sure waiting to get help for their biggest need is a good idea. Chara is looking every bit of 44. Even his wingspan and reach aren't stopping guys from just speeding by him to the outside.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:23 am 

Game 7 is finally here! And I'll be driving during it. They don't play again for 4 days afterwards. :(

Trotz returns to Nashville. Hopefully leaves with a win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 am 

I missed the game. Isles lose in the SO, not scoring in it and Sorokin giving up 2. Oh well. At least they got a point. 4 straight games with points, only 2 wins.

Isles fans are screaming from rooftops that Chara is done, or at least not the every day player that they're trying to use him as. Give Aho or Salo a chance to prove they can play. Or call up Hickey. All three of those guys are way faster than 44 year old Chara. Veteran experience be damned! He's getting toasted all the time. Guys just fly to the outside and go in on net. When he reaches out to push them, he is pushing them right into his goalies. Not the brightest move!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:56 am 

Brendan Burke wins an Emmy for his play by play work for the Isles. :toot:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:46 am 

This schedule sucks donkey balls! I missed Saturday's game so I haven't seen Isles hockey in well over a week. while other teams are playing regularly. This feels like playoff time, late 80s, all of the 90s and early 2000s. This is bullshit! I want hockey! Another 36 hours of waiting is bullshit. Then they play 3 in 4 days. And have a shitload more spans like that. Sure, I should be happy for lots of watching during those spans, but will the team be happy to be playing that much? Hopefully they've been practicing shit well. Like Chara playing D. Fans want him gone ASAP. Trotz said he's not worried about getting offense from Chara. That's good. How about getting some fucking defense from the Ent, himself.

I assume Varlamov will play at least 1 of these 3 coming up. :toot: Not that Sorokin has been awful, but Varlamov seems to have a settling effect on the team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next