OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 off-season
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Isles finally find a taker for Ladd. Arizona, of course.

They also dumped Leddy. Cap problems, but they can re-sign Beauvilier, Pelech and whoever now.

From the Isles site- The New York Islanders have traded Andrew Ladd, a second round selection in 2021 NHL Draft (#60 originally the Colorado Avalanche selection), a second round selection in the 2022 NHL Draft and a conditional third round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft to the Arizona Coyotes.

So the return is simply cap space. Which is fine at this point. Lou freed up $10M in cap space in like 20 hours.

Unconfirmed, but CapFriendly says Greene resigned for $750k. No idea if there are bonuses like last year's contract. I hope not, but wouldn't doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Greene had to be re-signed for exposure purposes, I assume.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Greene had to be re-signed for exposure purposes, I assume.

Him or Coburn, as they were the only 2 impending UFAs who fit the bill. Hickey didn't play enough games the past 2 years to be eligible. Glad they are bringing Greene back. He's been good.

Ladd- Casual fans who don't understand the cap are so confused by more knowledgeable fans being excited about a "trade" with no return at all. :lol:
After not playing at all this year, and playing 4 games last year, Ladd has to be excited to be moving on. Best of luck out west! Glad to see your cap space cleared!

Of note- Lou not only made a shit load of cap space, but he traded away 2 of the best beards on the team. Palmieri should be concerned that he won't be brought back. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm 

Greene's New Deal (see what I did there?) is $750k with a $250k bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:58 am 

Islanders protection list-

Protected: Fs- Barzal, Beauvillier, Clutterbuck, Lee, Martin, Nelson, Pageau.
D- Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock.
G- Varlamov. (Sorokin isn't eligible)

Available: Fs- Bailey, Dal Colle, Eberle, Komarov, Panik.
D- Greene.

I'd say Lou is hoping another big contract goes out the door. He'd better land whatever big fish(es) he's going after if he's going to lose a guy like Bailey or Eberle for nothing. Bailey is the longest tenured Islander, and fans either love or hate him.

Some fans are saying maybe Lou has a trade lined up with Seattle, so the list is irrelevant. I'd think if he had that, he'd go with a more traditional list that won't create such a buzz and insult 2 of his top players. But then, trying to get into Lou's mind is probably a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:34 am 
Big in Japan

Maybe you're right, but initially my thought was also that protection list screams side deal. My guess is either Eberle or they take a Dal Colle and get picks for their trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:04 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Maybe you're right, but initially my thought was also that protection list screams side deal. My guess is either Eberle or they take a Dal Colle and get picks for their trouble.

But could they trade a guy to Seattle from their protected list? I mean, if they are trading them there, the protection list doesn't matter, does it? It's expansion draft protection.... Right?

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Dal Colle go with some picks. His big draft hype was his shot. He had 19 shots in 26 games played last year. One went in. He's a good forechecker, but for a 5th overall pick, you want more than a 3rd line forechecker. He doesn't even hit a lot. Gets himself in good position on the forecheck, but that's about it. Skating is below average, passing is okay. So yeah, it would probably take a package of picks to get Seattle to take him. I'd think they'd take Bellows before Dal Colle. Two years younger, has shown more offensive flair in less time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 pm 

All reports are that Eberle was taken by Seattle. That clears up $5.5 million, but the Isles now need a 1st line RW. Pamieri? He should come cheaper than Eberle and fits the physical Islanders game better, but they had both guys last year and didn't have enough offense.

Lou now has $23.5 million to work with (after Boychuk returns to LTIR), but he's going to spend a ton of it just to bring back various FAs.

Pelech- likely around $5 million
Beauvillier- likely around 4 million
Sorokin- likely around $3 million
Palmieri- likely around $4 million
Cizikas- likely around $2.5 million
Dal Colle- likely around $1 million

That's $19.5 million already. Isles need a replacement for Leddy and an upgrade on wing. Seems pretty damn tight to me. Salary going out is great, but Eberle and Leddy were good players, if a bit overpaid right now.

Tons of Isles fans are saying they should go hard after Landeskog (sorry Tommy). He'd be a great fit on the first line but where the hell is that money coming from? Unless I'm WAY off on the projections above, I don't see it happening. Unless Lou doesn't plan to bring Palmieri back, and they promote Bellows to actually playing instead of eating hot dogs 90% of games. But even then, who replaces Leddy? Bolduc was pretty good in Bridgeport, but is he ready for the NHL? And that would mean not sheltering Dobson as much.

Obviously Lou is a lot smarter than me, but this off-season is looking like a bit of a step back so far, even with all the cap space they cleared.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Prospect stuff:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status ... 3399657484

Wonder if he's related to Tommy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Prospect stuff:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status ... 3399657484

Wonder if he's related to Tommy?

He's not, or he likely wouldn't be in the Isles' system since Milbury made Tommy Salo cry. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 pm 

Welp, time for Lou to work some magic and bring in some top line scoring talent, and manage to keep his FAs (besides Zajac).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Welp, time for Lou to work some magic and bring in some top line scoring talent, and manage to keep his FAs (besides Zajac).

If Lou wants to sign Landeskog and trade Beauvilier to Montreal, I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

If Lou wants to sign Landeskog and trade Beauvilier to Montreal, I'm all for it.

If Lou wants to sign Landeskog and trade Komarov to anyone, I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 pm 

Barzal tweeted a pic of Eberle and him hugging after a goal and wrote "we lost a good man today". It's been deleted. Wonder if someone told him to delete it. Also wonder what the players' reactions will be towards Lou after this. We all know they'll publicly say "it's a business" and other canned replies, but I wonder if they're pissed at him. Eberle was a well liked teammate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:37 pm 
Big in Japan

The Montreal Beauvilier offer sheet trial balloon has been floated. He would fall under the 4.1-6M range, which would net the Isles a 1st and 3rd as compensation.

Is he worth 5x5M, and would Lou walk away?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am 

E.L. wrote:
The Montreal Beauvilier offer sheet trial balloon has been floated. He would fall under the 4.1-6M range, which would net the Isles a 1st and 3rd as compensation.

Is he worth 5x5M, and would Lou walk away?

5 years? Yes. $5M? I don't think so. He's VERY streaky but if the last 2 seasons weren't covid shortened he'd have had over 20 goals in each, and is about 0.66 pt/playoff game. He tends to kick ass in the first round or two, then slows down a lot. Except of course that OT winner in Game 6 vs the Bolts...

Did they actually submit an offer sheet or did they simply ask if he'd be interested? I figured Lou would offer him around $4M. If he leaves, that will fuck the Isles up more than losing a LW2. He and Barzal are really good friends.

Hearing Cizikas wants $5M. If that's true, another team is getting a really good C. Isles can't afford that and as much as I love him, he's not worth that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 am 
Big in Japan

Nothing confirmed on that front, but the Habs have cap space and a few holes, including desire for a francophone player to replace Danault and possibly Drouin. Everyone around town is floating possibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:27 am 

E.L. wrote:
Nothing confirmed on that front, but the Habs have cap space and a few holes, including desire for a francophone player to replace Danault and possibly Drouin. Everyone around town is floating possibilities.

Okay. Thought it was official. I know the importance of francophones to the Habs.
I still think Beauvillier comes in around $4M AAV. Years are up to Lou. I'd think Lou would want more years and Beauvillier would want less in hopes that the cap will jump up after all this flat cap shit. Have there been projections on that and I've missed them? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:15 pm 

Dal Colle and Ho-Sang allowed to walk. Both 2014 first round picks gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am 

Reading that Palmieri is staying and Parise signed as well. No terms available yet.

No word on Cizikas. Hoping he stays at a reasonable price.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next