OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 off-season
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:29 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
A while ago, some genius said
Chris18 wrote:

Pelech- likely around $5 million
Beauvillier- likely around 4 million
Sorokin- likely around $3 million
Palmieri- likely around $4 million
Cizikas- likely around $2.5 million
Dal Colle- likely around $1 million

Lots of reports are that Cizikas' deal is in fact $2.5M x 6 years. Longer term I'd like to see given to a 30 year old who plays a very physical game, but he supposedly turned down an offer from Seattle for almost twice the dollar amount, so loyalty gets rewarded.

Reports now saying Beauviller got $4.1M x 3 years, so a hair higher than I wrote above, but like I said, around $ million.

And just saw Panotta reporting that Pamieri's deal is $5M x 4 years. A full million more than I'd assumed.

Edit- Sorokin's deal is $4M x 3 years. Full million off there too. I thought I was doing really well with my predictions. :lol:

Pelech's contract is $5.75M x 8 years. I didn't expect him to want the 8 years, but it could prove to be a huge bargain down the road if the cap goes up and D-men keep getting huge contracts, so I'm not too unhappy that it's more than I thought it would be, other than my pride being slightly hurt. :lol:

Hoping to hear about Pamieri, Parise and Sorokin soon. Dal Colle- maybe he still gets signed but they didn't qualify him, so it would be lower than the $1 million I presumed, although not enough to make up for my Pelech gaff.

Assuming all the above is correct, and that Parise is also signed (since there aren't any rumors about him with another team), the Isles have almost no cap space. They are currently at $85,229,188, with a cap of $81.5. But they can spend up to $87.5 with Boychuk's LTIR relief, so they've got like $2.25 million in space for Parise and/or Dal Colle. Obviously Dal Colle isn't getting anywhere near that total since they didn't give him a QO that would have raised his pay to $770k. Also, for any trades. So I seriously doubt Tarasenko is coming to the Isles, even if Lou can send Komarov somewhere.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/za ... li=AAggFp5

Parise now official. No terms announced yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Parise to the Isles- One of the worst kept secrets. :lol:
Read on Twitter that while he was playing in Da Beauty League his kids were wearing Isles gear in the stands. They were told to remove it. :roll: When there wasn't a contract announced or even rumors about talks with other teams, you knew he was going to the Isles.

Hopefully it's on a cheap enough contract that Lou can make something happen for a reliable LD2. As of now they'd be relying on a combination of Hickey, Aho, Bolduc or Salo. Hickey has the most experience but seems pretty fragile at this point. Aho never impressed. Bolduc or Salo would mean a rookie to go along with young Dobson. Trotz won't really like that. Or they have to move someone (Komarov) to free up some space for an LD2 trade. Komarov has 1 year left with a $3M aav but only $2M cost. Good PK guy, supposedly great in the room.

Cizikas was asked about taking less to stay with the Isles. He said he didn't really consider going elsewhere and he "will die an Islander". So there you have it. Guys are now willing to leave money on the table to stay with the Isles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:14 pm 

Palmieri's contract has a full NTC for 2 years, then he submits a 16 team list for the last 2 years.

Odd- JP Parise went from Minnesota (North Stars) to the Islanders. Son Zach goes from Minnesota (Wild) to the Islanders.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:02 pm 

Zach Parise has an Islanders press conference today, sooooooooo I'm guessing he's officially signed and maybe they'll let everyone know the terms. Maybe. :lol:

Rumors abound that they've also signed Zajac as a depth center. As long as he only plays if/when someone else is hurt, that's fine. If he plays over kids like Wahlstrom or Bellows, I will throw a shit fit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:21 pm 

Isles signed Erik Gustafsson to a PTO. Poor man's Nick Leddy?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 pm 

Guys all signed to one year, $750k contracts today: Otto Koivula, Cole Bardreau, Paul LaDue, Dmytro Timashov, and Andy Andreoff. The only surprise one to me is Andreoff, who was with the Flyers for 6 games this year. Edit- Bardreau is 2 years.

Aatu Räty is in NY for prospects camp but will go back for the season. Good to see him come over though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Isles signed Erik Gustafsson to a PTO. Poor man's Nick Leddy?

Didn't hate him in Montreal. Shot finds the net on the PP, but he has this carefree stride that infuriates because he gives up the puck and it looks like he's not trying. He's just elegant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, Gustafsson is really talented and skilled, but defensively dude is a complete mess. Playing on the Blackhawks, those defensive miscues were magnified, and then playing with the Flyers, they REALLY were magnified (there was an Isles/Flyers game, can't recall when, but Gustafsson got absolutely clowned by Cizikas coming out of the corner, and Gus looked rather casual with his defense as Erik alluded to, I believe that game was an insane blowout of some sort, the Flyers had a few of those).

Turns out he was a great fit for Montreal since they're relatively good with the puck and defensively made up for any shortcomings he had, he was just able to provide some puckmoving ability from the back end on a team that really didn't have much to begin with. The Isles are a pretty tight defensive bunch so he could conceivably fit with them, but I think if he has one major brain fart or looks like he's dogging it on a given shift, Trotz will literally throw him into the press box and never let him out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:45 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yeah, Gustafsson is really talented and skilled, but defensively dude is a complete mess. Playing on the Blackhawks, those defensive miscues were magnified, and then playing with the Flyers, they REALLY were magnified (there was an Isles/Flyers game, can't recall when, but Gustafsson got absolutely clowned by Cizikas coming out of the corner, and Gus looked rather casual with his defense as Erik alluded to, I believe that game was an insane blowout of some sort, the Flyers had a few of those).

Turns out he was a great fit for Montreal since they're relatively good with the puck and defensively made up for any shortcomings he had, he was just able to provide some puckmoving ability from the back end on a team that really didn't have much to begin with. The Isles are a pretty tight defensive bunch so he could conceivably fit with them, but I think if he has one major brain fart or looks like he's dogging it on a given shift, Trotz will literally throw him into the press box and never let him out.

Fully agreed on all.

Umm, while I was away for the weekend the Isles signed Chara for 1 year. Lou is trying really hard to win the 2007 Stanley Cup! Similar to Parise, terms haven't been disclosed. I really hope (but doubt) that both of those contracts are near league minimum. And I wonder if signing Chara has anything to do with the Rangers getting Reaves. Isles needed another LD, but it seems a bit odd to sign a guy who is in his mid-40s.

Bit of an odd note- a bunch of the Isles players went to the NY Jets game this weekend to return the favor of the Jets being at their playoff game (Jets have very little chance of having a playoff game). Among the Isles players- Dal Colle, who wasn't given a QO. So maybe he signed a lower offer, but he appears to still be with the team. Not shocking, just an odd way for people to find out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm 
Big in Japan

One guy who won't be back: Zajac. He retired.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm 

E.L. wrote:
One guy who won't be back: Zajac. He retired.

Signed a 1 day contract so he could retire a Devil. Good overall career. Although I'm glad he won't be back with the Isles. Seemed like he was getting "veteran presence" playing time over Bellows and possibly Wahlstrom, although there's still speculation that Wahlstrom was not "fine to play" after Trotz said he was in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Just learned the Isles' new digs won't be ready until November, so they'll start the season with the longest road trip in NHL history (13 games).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:11 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Just learned the Isles' new digs won't be ready until November, so they'll start the season with the longest road trip in NHL history (13 games).

If only someone had mentioned that in the season schedule thread... :laugh:
Second longest road trip in NHL history. I believe the Canucks had a 14 game trip when the Prolympics were in their rink.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:38 am 

Press conference to discuss the minor league signings from last week. Didn't say terms of Parise's contract or dollars for Chara's one year deal.
Biggest take away was that all Isles are vaccinated. There's one minor leaguer who refuses to get the vax, but they said he won't be on the Isles. Not sure if that means someone in the ECHL, a prospect, or that was Lou's way of saying they don't have a shot at making the Isles unless they get the vax.

I sure would like to know the $ on the contracts that solidify the Isles as the oldest team in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:49 am 
OTP Historian

I thought I saw Chara's deal at 800k but capfriendly doesn't have either deal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:30 am 

Lou said Bellows & Dal Colle are signed, and Schneider is back on a 2-way deal.

Also said that the unvaxxed Islander property will be lent to another org as the Isles want to protect everyone in their org. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 am 

Bode Wilde confirms he's the unvaxxed player in the Isles org. Wrote on twitter that he hopes his human rights are enough to allow him to play, or some shit like that. Trotz & Lou both said he's got the right to not get the vax and they respect that, but they have organizational rules so now they'll try to find him a place to play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:17 am 

Isles win pre-season opener vs Rangers 4-0. Martin and Varlamov are out, rehabbing minor injuries. Sorokin and Skarek shared the shutout. Isles modified 4th line all scored- Cizikas, Clutterbuck and Johnston. Nelson had the opening goal.
Rangers didn't dress their new tough guy Reaves, which surprised me since the game was at MSG. They did dress new idiot Barclay Goodrow, who boarded an Isles minor leaguer, cutting his face, so Goodrow got 5 and a game misconduct. Great start to your Ranger career, shithead. I thought the game would get nasty after that but it didn't.

As of now, Chara and Dobson are playing together. Dobson's speed can make up for Chara's lack, and Chara can teach Dobson things like "try to be big. No, not arms out, like, grow 5 more inches. Mmmm, maybe 7 more."

Expected opening night lines according to what Trotz has said:
Lee-Barzal-Palmieri
Beauvillier-Nelson-Bailey
Parise-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Extras- Dal Colle, Bellows, Panik, Komarov, Johnston.

Pelech-Pulock
Chara-Dobson
Greene-Mayfield
Extras- Gustafsson (who Trotz said has looked good), Aho, Hickey. I expect the latter 2 to begin in Bridgeport.

Varlamov and Sorokin are expected to be more of a tandem this year, especially with 19 back to back sets.

I just counted and realized that makes 28 players. All the forwards require waivers, but maybe they'll risk Panik and Komarov being claimed. Komarov has been on the trading block for a while according to all rumors. Getting $3 million off the books would be nice. I could see a team claiming Bellows, although he may be waived. Don't remember if I added it here or not- but Dal Colle and Bellows have both signed, along with Schneider (2 way deal). No terms disclosed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 pm 

Bode Wilde going to play in Sweden. Not the SEL. A league lower.

Isles beat Philly in OT, using Schneider and Appleby in net. Pelech, Dobson (PP) and Beauvillier (OT) with the goals. Raty looking really good, as is Robin Salo. Raty is going back to Europe no matter what for this year, but it's great to see him looking like he could make the roster this year, if there was a spot open, which I don't think there is anyway. Encouraging though. He has poise under pressure and some good moves.

Ross Johnston looking like he wants a regular role, not just filling in now and then. I assume he's in one of the "extras" spots, but with the Metro seeming to be going for the meathead division award, he may slot in more often than in past years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm 

Found out today that my cable carrier may drop the MSG networks, which means I won't be able to see Isles games. I will flip a fucking shit fit if that happens! :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next