OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:32 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles just can't beat the Pens. Blew a 2-0 lead in the 2nd, with Varlamov blowing a tire and just falling with the Pens on a PP, allowing Crosby one of the easiest goals he's ever scored. Then the Isles lead in the 3rd and gave up the tying goal, only to lose in OT on a weird shot that looks like Pageau may have deflected. He definitely screened Varlamov, but it was Letang's 4th goal of the season. All four- against the Isles. Second 2 goal game against them. :roll:

Lather, rinse, repeat tonight. Although hopefully with the Isles getting 2 points and the Pens 0.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Very strange for Varly to have a night like that. Falling down and letting in that goal really rattled him--he did his best Felix Potvin impression on the next goal given up, and he can't play like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:09 am 
Big in Japan

Sorokin's first two wins in the NHL were both shutouts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:21 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Very strange for Varly to have a night like that. Falling down and letting in that goal really rattled him--he did his best Felix Potvin impression on the next goal given up, and he can't play like that.

Announcers were saying they wonder if he's hurt or sick, as it's just very unlike him to do something like that.
Sorokin looked good in a shutout win the next night, so maybe that allows Varlamov to sit a few games if something is bothering him.

Wahlstrom and the Isles PP are both starting to get better. YAY!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:00 pm 

Bertuzzi talks about Milbury with Andy Strickland- https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2021/2 ... er-tkachuk

What an era.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 pm 

Milbury's a tool but I'm thrilled to death that he went out of his way to fuck with that thin-skinned man-child. I read Gillies tried to mentor that moron and his wife went after Gillies because I guess Todd's feelings were all hurt. :roll:

Such a fucking dipshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:30 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
Milbury's a tool but I'm thrilled to death that he went out of his way to fuck with that thin-skinned man-child. I read Gillies tried to mentor that moron and his wife went after Gillies because I guess Todd's feelings were all hurt. :roll:

Such a fucking dipshit.

Bertuzzi in more legal trouble.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-nhl-player-to ... -1.1600821

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:41 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Announcers were saying they wonder if he's hurt or sick, as it's just very unlike him to do something like that.
Sorokin looked good in a shutout win the next night, so maybe that allows Varlamov to sit a few games if something is bothering him.

That was usually the case in Colorado--whenever he started to slump it wasn't long before he had to sit because of injury.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:38 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

Such a fucking dipshit.

I fully agree that he's a dipshit. And yes, Gillies did try to mentor him. I never heard the story about dipshit's wife going after Gillies. He was 23 when the Isles traded him. Was he with her that young?

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That was usually the case in Colorado--whenever he started to slump it wasn't long before he had to sit because of injury.

Was the slump due to the injury or was the injury a result of trying to do too much to get out of a slump?

Sorokin looks much more comfortable so if Varlamov needs to sit a few games to rest, he should be able to. Although I don't think Schneider is back yet, so they may have Sorokin start and only come out if he gets hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:18 am 

Game 22: 2-1 win vs the Devils. Wahlstrom is looking like a legit sniper, putting a wrister between a defender's legs to score high blocker side on Dell, shorthanded. Lee with his 10th as the insurance goal. Last year it took Lee until Game 34 to score his 10th. The Devils scored with 14 seconds to go in the game, after Wood tripped Greene in front but there was no call. Wood scored the goal to ruin Varlamov's shutout.

Three straight against Buffalo coming up, one against the Bruins, and then 3 straight vs the Devils. Time for the Isles to make a run. Tied with the Caps at 28 points, but the Caps have a game in hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:58 am 

Was that Dobson who banked it in off the goalie at an insane angle?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Was that Dobson who banked it in off the goalie at an insane angle?

No. Dobson's goal was a really nice pass from behind the net to him crashing the net. Nice wrister.

The bank shot, was newly crowned sniper Matt Martin. I have a player on my 12U team who shoots from anywhere. Last night in practice she shot from behind the goal line (again). I spent like 2 minutes talking about smart shot selections, and how shooting from behind the net gives about a 1:10,000 chance of scoring, vs a 1:10 chance if you just center it to your teammate who is parked in the slot. Matt Frigging Martin scores from behind the goal line, probably about 2 minutes after I told this to my team. Thanks a lot buddy! I'm expecting a video clip emailed to me by her psycho, helicopter mom, who glares at me through the glass whenever I speak to her daughter. On the other rink, where parents can stand on a balcony over portions of the ice, she'll almost fall over the railing, straining to hear what's being said. So I'll call her daughter over to me, juuuuuuust out of ear shot and speak quietly to the daughter, sometimes just asking how school is going or something random, just to see the mom nearly fall over or sprain her neck craning to listen. It's fun. I have nicknamed the mom Chopper 1, because yes, we also have 2 other helicopter parents who are Choppers 2 & 3. I hum the theme song from M*A*S*H when they are nearby to let the other coaches know. 1 & 2 are each others' wing women. Chopper 3 is actually a really cool guy, but he over-coaches his kid from behind the glass. After every shift she looks to him for approval or correction. I try to stand to block the line of sight and the dad knows it.

Anyway. Yeah. Islanders! Matt Martin with 2 goals. Trotz double shifted him late in the 3rd, obviously to try for the hat trick. Goring and Burke loved it, but I found it a departure from the team first mentality. When Barzal had a 9 game point streak going and the Isles had a lead with an empty net at the other end, Trotz kept Barzal on the bench. I know this one was out of reach with a 3 goal lead, but it's still not cool to try to get Martin the hatty and bench Barzal for like 4 minutes to go. Trotz usually sits Barzal with a close lead. He's not the most defensive-minded player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:59 am 

Ah, okay. Boomer's son-in-law was the guy who did that. Interesting. :lol:

Yeah I can't deal with hockey parents--I thought someday I'd get back into coaching but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe when the little one is older and wants to try hockey, though I know I'll get some pushback from her mother.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ah, okay. Boomer's son-in-law was the guy who did that. Interesting. :lol:

Yeah I can't deal with hockey parents--I thought someday I'd get back into coaching but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe when the little one is older and wants to try hockey, though I know I'll get some pushback from her mother.

I didn't want to coach my kid(s) but I found the way the older one was treated by manly men coaches with big strong boy players was ridiculous, so I had to get involved. It's been a long run of having a lot of fun, with some annoying twits along the way. I try to not let them get to me and try to instead remember the good parents, but sometimes the nuts make it difficult. The two I have this year that are particularly bad are always together and some of the stories are just so unbelievable. I always think I've seen it all... I'm going to write a book some day, or make an interactive web site where we change details like names and team names so we don't get sued. I think it would be fascinating stuff that could end up with citations from psychological journals.

And for the record, my wife was the one who signed Miss18.1 up for hockey! She didn't like the idea at first, but saw some other girls playing and thought it could be cool. Now Miss18.1 is off at college, helping to get a club team off the ground.

Back on topic- Isles and Sabres again Sat and Sun afternoons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:52 pm 
Big in Japan

HOLY COW

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status ... 18592?s=19

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:

That was some awesome shit right there! I missed it live (kid's game) but have seen the replay like 500 times in the past 24 hours.

Isles did as they should, and swept the 3 game series against the Sabres. Sorokin with wins in the first and last games. Nice to see him getting some wins! Also boosts the Isles into 1st place with 34 points in 25 games.

Bruins on Tuesday, followed by 3 straight against the Devils. Isles have beaten the Bruins all 3 times they've met so far, so I expect the Bruins to win like 7-1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:49 pm 
OTP Historian

What an incredible goal :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Arthur Staple was on MTL sports radio this morning. Nothing but nice things to say about the Isles, especially Nelson and Lee, who he said took the reins after JT left and ran with it.

He also said, perhaps catering to the local audience, that Beauvilier might have to go if they trade for a rental, just for cap reasons. He figures he'll have to go like Toews.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Arthur Staple was on MTL sports radio this morning. Nothing but nice things to say about the Isles, especially Nelson and Lee, who he said took the reins after JT left and ran with it.

He also said, perhaps catering to the local audience, that Beauvilier might have to go if they trade for a rental, just for cap reasons. He figures he'll have to go like Toews.

Unless he brings back an absolute beast, I'd hate to see Beauvillier go. dude is so fun to watch and gets better all the time.

Isles with their first OT/SO win last night, and are now 4-0 vs the Bruins. First place. But teams like the Penguins haven't even played the Sabres or Devils yet. Scheduling is really fucking weird this year!

Isles have the Devils for 3 straight now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 pm 

Isles almost blew a 4-0 lead that they'd taken into the third, giving up 2 goals in 40 seconds early in the third. Final was 5-3. The Devils showing they won't just roll over.

Isles are still unbeaten in regulation at home.

Sorokin with his 5th win. Lee left in the first period with an apparent leg injury. He crawled to the bench.

First time Isles had fans in the building. They gave all 1000 tickets to local 1st responders. Very cool in my opinion.

The game also included a Wes McCauley goal confirmation, after a Devil defender bumped Wahlstrom into Blackwood. McCauley included all the info in his announcement, which was nice, but took away the usual drama from a McCauley "We have a good goal!" call. Still, I'll take a goal over drama.

Devils again Saturday and Sunday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next