OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Totally not Isles-related, but it is a New York question.

Which town is "better," Binghamton or Utica? Just curious with the announcement that the Canucks are pulling out of Utica and apparently the Devils are going to take over there and bail on Bingo.

Funny you should ask! I have experience in both places. Was in Bing over the past weekend for a tournament. I did lots of work up there at my old job too.
Bing is a run down town, for sure. I knew a nice suburban area I wanted to stay at for our tournament but the hotel was full. Another parent booked us in the city. :shock: One of the moms said she runs every morning, but wouldn't in Bing, unless she wanted to run for her life. I said one of our coaches is a NYC detective and runs, so she should go with him. She replied "he's not going to run with his gun on his hip so fuck that." Never heard her curse before. :lol: Most people I met in Bing were really nice. The arena is in the downtown area, and there WAS a really nice steakhouse right nearby that I went to. It's closed down. Funny story from Bing. Coworker wanted Thai food one night. Fine. Crappy little takeout place. We order and after a long day of work I was zoning out the front window. Jumped up like "WTF?" because what I thought was a very obvious hooker walked by arm in arm with a guy. A minute later, another did, walking the other way. Like, spring weather so kinda chilly, but they were both wearing lingerie and one had a fur coat, the other a trench coat. Movie hooker wear.... The woman working at the Thai place started cracking up and asked if I saw something weird. Not wanting to say hookers to a young woman I said I was just surprised by the umm, attire of some of the locals. She laughed more and pointed out that we were between 2 strip clubs with the same owner. Apparently the one with the bar can only be topless, where the fully nude one on the other side can't have a bar. And the lap dance areas are in the fully nude club, so the strippers (not hookers) walk back and forth with clients. Quite a weird scene if you're not prepared for it. :lol:

Utica. Oof. My main experience there was working in a disgusting stream behind the Scooby dog food plant, which had recently had a fire that caused them to get busted for housing undocumented immigrants who worked/lived there. 4 of them died. That place smelled like a dumpster by the docks, filled with a dead raccoon on fire. It was awful. The people there were mostly dicks. Again, the arena is in the downtown area. I remember a few check cashing places right nearby. And closed down businesses. That was a few years ago. I can't imagine it after a pandemic, although people up there wouldn't surprise me if they fully ignored such a thing. One of the big things I remember was a huge graffiti piece- saying "infowars- watch and learn!". Not typical graffiti but gives you a window into the mindset. Also had several meth heads hanging around our trucks all weekend, asking for money. They backed off after I pulled out my 22" machete and cut down some invasive species plants nearby. At least they backed off, but we had to leave our trucks all day, so I was worried. Basically though, Utica is a total shit hole.

If I had to choose, I'd take Bing all day, every day. I wouldn't want to choose though.

Speaking of minor league teams- The Bridgeport Sound Tigers are changing their name to the Islanders, which many people think is a prelude to them moving from Bridgeport to the Coliseum. I prefer them in Bridgeport, but for some reason they aren't asking me. By the way, Bridgeport is also a shit hole, except the area immediately around the arena. Cops make a perimeter like 2 blocks around the arena for games, and pretty much warn you if you go past them you're on your own. :shock:

Back to the actual Isles- they blew what slim chance they had at home ice in round 1 by losing to the Devils last night. 1 point in 3 games vs Buffalo and NJ. :chairshot: They look like they "know" they can't score. The offense looks like a team that's never played together. Drop passes to nobody, cross ice passes to a guy who left for a change, etc. They just look like shit. Devils again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:25 pm 

As I figured would happen, the Isles have shit the bed on home ice. 68 points after 54 games.

Devils again tonight. Bruins (3rd place with 71 points) on Monday. Then rest and see what the geniuses at the NHL scheduling dept figure out for the difference between the Chicken McNuggets East and other divisions that will finish around "on time" vs the Covid-19 North. Shit, they should have named the divisions after the vaccine brands. The AZ North, Pfizer East, J&J Central and Moderna West.

The one thing I can think of that's kind of fair is to have the teams in other divisions start their series but have 2 days off between games. Gets them playing but gives the North a chance to catch up after a round or so, playing on normal every other day scheduling.

Hopefully for the Isles the playoffs are truly a reboot/new season. They look like shit to end the season.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 pm 

5-1 win vs Devils and a Bruins loss to the Rangers makes Monday's game interesting. If the Isles win that and the Bruins lose again on Tuesday to the Caps, the Isles will take 3rd place. Slim to none chance of the Bruins losing 3 straight going into the playoffs, but it's possible. So is winning the lottery.

Nelson with 2 goals. His first in 14 games. Palmieri scored against his former team. His first since April 11th. Barzal and Eberle also scored. Sorokin with a good game.

Last regulation game at the Coliseum, unless of course Belmont isn't ready next fall. :lol: And who knows, the Sound Tig-errrr, AHL Islanders may be playing there. Their lease in Bridgeport was through this season. The vacant baseball stadium next to them was turned into a concert venue. Several colleges play at the arena, so maybe it stays open. Maybe the Wolfpack move there. Who knows?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:34 am 

Game 56. At the Bruins, although it's #55 for them. If the Isles win in regulation, they still have an outside shot at 3rd place, IF the Bruins also lose tomorrow to the caps. Would the Bruins lose three straight? Doubt it. Either way, the Isles will start round 1 on the road, and have a really shitty record on the road as compared to home. So they've fucked themselves and a deep run looks unlikely this year. Especially with the way they've played most of their games lately.

So there's my enthusiasm for tonight's game. yay.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:34 pm 

New logo for the Sount Tig-errrrr, Bridgeport Islanders. Apparently they plan to stay in Bridgeport, so the rumor of them moving to the Coliseum is BS. Fine with me. I like games in Bridgeport. But the logo- wtf is with the half-assed NY stick tape? They miss the second part of the y completely. :lol:

https://weareallislanders.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
New logo for the Sount Tig-errrrr, Bridgeport Islanders. Apparently they plan to stay in Bridgeport, so the rumor of them moving to the Coliseum is BS. Fine with me. I like games in Bridgeport. But the logo- wtf is with the half-assed NY stick tape? They miss the second part of the y completely. :lol:

https://weareallislanders.com/

Logo looks like the Bi-slanders. Swing their sticks both ways...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They could've brought back the Fishsticks jersey and instead settled for the most boring and poorly-designed logo they could possibly think of. Fuck's sake, did Lou draw that one up himself!?!?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:24 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
They could've brought back the Fishsticks jersey and instead settled for the most boring and poorly-designed logo they could possibly think of. Fuck's sake, did Lou draw that one up himself!?!?

Stop mentioning the fucking fisherman! :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

I agree, that logo is shit. But it's a million times better than the fisherman.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:53 pm 

In typical frustrating Islanders fashion, they played like shit in the first period of a game they really needed to win, came from behind to tie it, saw their #1 goalie leave the game with a mystery injury, and then lost in OT to a guy they couldn't work a deal for.

So. Fucking. Islanders.

They played great in the 2nd, then forgot to come out for the 3rd again.

So, Isles-Pens in the first round. Pens won the season series 6-2. At the moment, I'm saying Pens in 4. The Isles look like a totally lost team most of the time. Maybe some practice time will help them work out the elephant sized kinks.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am 

Trotz says Varlamov felt a little strain, would have finished the game if it was playoffs but they were just being cautious. That's good to know.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:50 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Stop mentioning the fucking fisherman! :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Bah, cartoonish, over-the-top logos like that are perfect for minor league teams. That whole look with the garish colors, wavy stripes, and most importantly, crazy-ass asymmetrical nameplates would play so well in the AHL. Those jerseys would FLY off the friggin' shelves, and while I'm sure the Contropellio family of Mahopac would not partake in such tomfoolery, I'm positive many nostalgic fans would.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Bah, cartoonish, over-the-top logos like that are perfect for minor league teams. That whole look with the garish colors, wavy stripes, and most importantly, crazy-ass asymmetrical nameplates would play so well in the AHL. Those jerseys would FLY off the friggin' shelves, and while I'm sure the Contropellio family of Mahopac would not partake in such tomfoolery, I'm positive many nostalgic fans would.

The fisherman has about a 5% approval rating among older fans, if that. Some fans in their 20s seem to like it. Probably because the fisherman has a beard. And because they're high all the time. Fuck those kids.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:29 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
The fisherman has about a 5% approval rating among older fans, if that. Some fans in their 20s seem to like it. Probably because the fisherman has a beard. And because they're high all the time. Fuck those kids.

Never underestimate the bankability of nostalgia. The Coyotes were laughed at for years for those Kachina jerseys before Wayne Gretzky ushered them out with a wave of his hand. Ever since they've reintroduced them (and that purple variant, which I don't mind saying looks good) those things have sold like crazy and about the only thing keeping that godforsaken franchise relevant.

The Fishsticks logo and jersey were met with hostility (and rightly so) because it replaced an iconic classic. Now that problem won't exist if you use it for the minor league affiliate.

Seriously, you think that stupid boring-ass logo someone spent about two hours in Photoshop making is better!?!?

And sorry bro...and this is coming from another old fart...nobody cares what old people think.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:23 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Never underestimate the bankability of nostalgia. The Coyotes were laughed at for years for those Kachina jerseys before Wayne Gretzky ushered them out with a wave of his hand. Ever since they've reintroduced them (and that purple variant, which I don't mind saying looks good) those things have sold like crazy and about the only thing keeping that godforsaken franchise relevant.

The Fishsticks logo and jersey were met with hostility (and rightly so) because it replaced an iconic classic. Now that problem won't exist if you use it for the minor league affiliate.

Seriously, you think that stupid boring-ass logo someone spent about two hours in Photoshop making is better!?!?

And sorry bro...and this is coming from another old fart...nobody cares what old people think.

It's Bridgeport. It's an oil refinery town. Sure, they have a port, but no fish come through it. At least none you'd want to eat, that's for damn sure. If they re-work him to be some sort of oil tanker captain, fine. That sure beats the other things Bridgeport is known for... Was at a game once and had to laugh at a variation of the powerplay "shoooooot" guy. He yelled "you're in Bridgeport. SHOOT QUICKLY!" Not sure how to work murderers into the fisherman logo. :lol:

Old people have disposable income. Everyone cares what we think. Young people may be around for a lot longer but those fucks can't even buy napkins. If you want to attract them, name them the Bridgeport Avocado Toasts or grande lattes. Now you're making me sound like TCL! Get off my lawn. And logo!

And yes, that B logo is pretty damn lame. It looks like a 10 year old designed it for their backyard rink team. And if that was the case, it would be cool! They may be minor league but they're still pro, and that logo isn't. We agree on that. But neither is the fisherman. He's a joke, and looks like a beer league logo. Just needs sunglasses and a hockey stick in one hand and a beer in the other. Then he'd complete the look. And model jersey #69...

Fuck the fisherman! With a shovel!!! Then tie the anchor around his legs and heave that ho! Bye Felicia!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:21 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
It's Bridgeport. It's an oil refinery town. Sure, they have a port, but no fish come through it. At least none you'd want to eat, that's for damn sure. If they re-work him to be some sort of oil tanker captain, fine. That sure beats the other things Bridgeport is known for... Was at a game once and had to laugh at a variation of the powerplay "shoooooot" guy. He yelled "you're in Bridgeport. SHOOT QUICKLY!" Not sure how to work murderers into the fisherman logo. :lol:

Old people have disposable income. Everyone cares what we think. Young people may be around for a lot longer but those fucks can't even buy napkins. If you want to attract them, name them the Bridgeport Avocado Toasts or grande lattes. Now you're making me sound like TCL! Get off my lawn. And logo!

And yes, that B logo is pretty damn lame. It looks like a 10 year old designed it for their backyard rink team. And if that was the case, it would be cool! They may be minor league but they're still pro, and that logo isn't. We agree on that. But neither is the fisherman. He's a joke, and looks like a beer league logo. Just needs sunglasses and a hockey stick in one hand and a beer in the other. Then he'd complete the look. And model jersey #69...

Fuck the fisherman! With a shovel!!! Then tie the anchor around his legs and heave that ho! Bye Felicia!

Doesn't matter how much money we have...the science of marketing has been around for centuries--there's a reason why they focus their efforts toward the youngsters even though we're the ones with time, spare dollars, and mid-life crises

We can go over the logic of naming a team in Bridgeport, Connecticut the "Islanders," frankly I don't really understand why they decided now to rename them the most generic thing possible, but they missed out on a grand marketing/merchandising opportunity. I'm guessing Lou somehow played a part since he detests anything unique or creative.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:09 am 

Was the fisherman logo unique? Yes it was. Why? Because it's a fucking joke.

The Bridgeport Assholes would be unique, with a big ol' puckering star fish logo... Would it be cool to wear? Not so much.

Calling them the Islanders is pretty dumb, I'll agree there. And the new B logo was done by a B marketing team. I agree there for sure. But the Fisherman starts with F and gets an F- For FUCK OFF WITH THAT SHIT.

On to actual Isles news- they'll play the Penguins in the first round, but nobody knows when the hell they'll start. Friday? Saturday? Sunday? June 23? Who fucking knows? Boston and Washington have 1 of their games on the NHL schedule- for Saturday. Hooray! Other playoff games? They're going to be surprises. As in teams get told to go to the rink for a press conference and all of a sudden the arena lights will come on and there will be like 2000 fans yelling "surprise! Time to play!" Players will then have 32 minutes to get their asses on the ice.

This is obviously bullshit, but that's where it feels we're heading.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 pm 

Varlamov on the ice today, although it wasn't an official practice. He's said to be fine to start on Sunday. :toot:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Varlamov on the ice today, although it wasn't an official practice. He's said to be fine to start on Sunday. :toot:

*Narrator voice* He wasn't.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

*Narrator voice* He wasn't.

In a world where you think you have two Russian goalies to start your series, spoiler alert, you don't.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
In a world where you think you have two Russian goalies to start your series, spoiler alert, you don't.

Lou had to know that was a risk with Varly. That's the number one reason the Avs ultimately walked away. But hey Sorokin was the better goalie out there last night so the gamble worked out perfectly. Even Palmieri finally proved his worth there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next