OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:27 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Just read an article about Isles-Flyers trades that are helping the Isles now and in the future. Mark Streit went to the Flyers in exchange for the pick that became Devon Toews.
Andrew MacDonald was sent to the Flyers for a prospect (who never made it), a 2nd & a 3rd. The 2nd would become part of the trade to land Boychuk and the 3rd would turn into Ilya Sorokin.

So Snow wasn't a total moron, as much as everyone likes to bag on him. Including me.

Naw, he was never a total moron. I was always impressed at how well he ran things despite severe budget restrictions and the mess his predecessors had left him. For a guy who had literally never spent significant time in any sort of front office role, a guy who literally went straight from on the ice to the GM's chair, he was astonishingly good. Problem was, he could only get them so far. That, and he continually made the one mistake that ultimately dooms a GM--he never got the right coach.

I want to say Josh Bailey was one of his first draft picks as GM. Am I wrong? That guy took a LONG time to develop, but he definitely panned out.

Snow became GM on July 18, 2006 (thanks Wikipedia!) and Bailey was drafted in 2008 (I did know that one), so that was Snow's 2nd draft. Bailey took so long to develop because the Isles sucked so badly they rushed him to the NHL. He should have been allowed time to develop and gain confidence but instead was thrown into the NHL at 18 and played on some awful Isles teams. Lots of Isles fans hate him because they think all 1st round picks should be 30 goal scorers. Bailey's never had 20. He's a playmaker and also didn't last at center. Currently the Isles have too many playmakers and not enough finishers, so even though Bailey's vision has been recognized by some fans, he still isn't what they want and is always the first name to come up in trade suggestions (as if fans have any say in them :lol: ).

As for never hiring the right coach, fully agreed there! Snow had Nolan in place by Smith when he was hired, and Nolan was pretty good. Snow fired Nolan in favor of Scott Gordon, fired him for Jack Capuano, fired him for Doug Weight. So yeah, his coaching selections sucked. Even the assistant coaches weren't good during those times. But one big thing Isles fans blame Snow for is not being able to get Tavares to sign before hitting UFA status, and Lou had already hired Trotz, so bringing in a big name coach didn't help keep the big UFA fish. Which is fine now, considering the Isles are already headed to cap hell without an $11 million/year contract on their books. Some also blame Lou being brought in to replace Snow at the 11th hour for Tavares leaving, but I don't really see how bringing in a HoF GM & coach could drive away a UFA.

Snow's best ability was finding a few gems on the NHL waiver wire. That got old as Wang opened his wallet but Snow kept trying waiver acquisitions.

More importantly- Game 2 today at 3! :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:54 pm 

Varlamov survives the first 40 seconds of the game, giving him a new Isles record of 140 minutes of shutout playoff hockey. Within 2 minutes after that he allowed a goal, then another and another. Pulled after being down 3-0 with about 5 to go in the first period. Greiss in for the first meaningful minutes in 5 months. Fucking fuck.
The Isles in general look like stir fried dog shit. Not forechecking, not skating hard, watching a lot of plays.
So much for going to Greiss tomorrow for a fresh goalie on the 2nd part of back-to-backs.

Let's try this again.

Isles-Flyers, Game 2 begins around 4:00 eastern.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:37 pm 

I take full credit for the reset. Game 2 going to OT!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:12 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

:lol:

Well, not a lot of free hockey and it went the wrong way in the end. But the Isles should see that they can't sit back at all. They did in the first and it cost them a field goal.
The big question now is do they go with Greiss, who allowed only the OT goal on at least one deflection off Lee (maybe a 2nd off Barzal?), or go back to Varlomov, who has carried the bulk of games since the return? I don't know, and my opinion doesn't mean shit anyway!

Mayfield and Eberle were particularly bad in this game. Mayfield gave the puck away at least 6 times that I counted. Eberle missed passes a bunch of times, including on the icing that lead to the OT faceoff in the Isles' zone. He just looks off. Badly.

Series is going at least 5. Yay. I guess normally I'd be happy with a split on the road, but bubble hockey doesn't have that feeling at all.

Right back at it tomorrow. Game 3 (pronounced "tree" in NY) tomorrow at 7 PM. I thought it was at 8 for some reason. Hopefully the Isles don't wait an hour to get going again. Take away the 1st period today and they'd win 3-0. Take away all my bills and I'd be rich... Take away my sandwich and you'll have a black eye.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 am 

Big game tonight. I’ve broken out my blue and orange checkered Vans. They’re too tight, so I may lose toes by noon, but it’s the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:00 am 
Big in Japan

Loved that snipe from Pageau. Great player.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Loved that snipe from Pageau. Great player.

Such a good pickup. Even if that contract will be an overpay in a few years.
Butch Goring was asked if he things Pageau was "the final piece" like Butch was, or as good a deadline pickup. Butch replied "I'll let you know after he helps them get 4 Cups". :lol: Butch is almost always very humble. That was the only time I've ever heard him even slightly boast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am 

Series schedule update

Game 3- Sat 7 PM
Game 4- Sun 8 PM
Game 5- Tues 7 PM
Game 6- Thur TBD
Game 7- Sat TBD

I was hoping for back to backs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 am 

Game 3 tonight. LET'S GO ISLES! :viking:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:24 am 

I knew all along that Uncle Leo would get the game winner. Yep. And that Martin would score. Totally knew it. Isles win 3-1 after being down early.

Just read that this is the first time since 1993 the Isles have won more than a single game in the 2nd round. I was in high school then. My older kid is in college. Holy shit. Well, here's to making the ECFs! :beer:

Game 4 Sunday at 8 EDT. Wooooooooo!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm 

Trotz with some words of wisdom about both hockey and society. Isles are so lucky to have gotten him.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/neil-best/islanders-flyers-stanley-cup-playoffs-barry-trotz-semyon-varlamov-1.48738348

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 pm 

Isles ranking so far among the 24 playoff teams
Goals for average: 4th
Goals against average: 1st
Goal differential: 1st
Winning %: 2nd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Goals against average: 1st
Goal differential: 1st
Given Trotz' defensive system, I suppose it doesn't matter who he puts in net? He seems to be schooling another D-minded head coach in AV.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Fancy stats says the Isles forwards are thoroughly average with Barzal pushing them dramatically into the great column.

Stars, man. Ride your stars.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 pm 

Whatever the hell it takes!

Up 3-1 after a 3-2 win. Wooooo! Greiss with some great saves. Philly played a good game.
It sure would be nice if Eberle could catch a break.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:41 am 

Greiss asked his mindset going into the game- "stop the puck. It's not rocket science." :lol:
Nelson said Pageau has been a great addition, doing all the things that they need. Pageau was next to him for the Zoom interviews and gave a quiet "thanks man".

And Arron Asham, much loved former Islander, tweeted "Wonder if JT is watching and shaking his head". :laugh:

Philly players all said they thought they played really well. They did. Greiss was great. Isles D wasn't. Trotz said he thought it was their worst game of the playoffs. 38 shots allowed. I hadn't realized it was that many.

Game 5- 9/1 at 7 PM EDT. :viking:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:45 am 
Big in Japan

Pageau has 15 goals in his last 32 playoff games. Unreal. The regular season numbers suggest the contract is a bit much, but he's been such a Habs killer over the years my opinion on him is skewed. Love the player, 3rd line centre can win faceoffs, stir shit and score goals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:21 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pageau has 15 goals in his last 32 playoff games. Unreal. The regular season numbers suggest the contract is a bit much, but he's been such a Habs killer over the years my opinion on him is skewed. Love the player, 3rd line centre can win faceoffs, stir shit and score goals.

If he gets them to any sort of next level, I'll take an overpay. He's been damn good so far, especially in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

If he gets them to any sort of next level, I'll take an overpay. He's been damn good so far, especially in the playoffs.

His point totals in Ottawa this year were inflated because they were auditioning him and giving him primo icetime, but he's a legit 3rd line centre and I think only slightly overpaid. Also still pretty young.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next