OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 am 
Big in Japan

Here to heap more praise on JG Pageau: he took more than half the faceoffs for the Isles. He won 53 per cent of them. That's a lot of possession off the draws.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

A few things from the game:
    Killed the Beauviller double minor. He looked like he was going to puke going into the box. And worse, he had to go in twice, since the penalties bridged an intermission.
    Mayfield, who broke his stick in OT causing the Game 5 loss to Philly, broke his stick in OT again, with the puck in the Isles' zone. Lee gave his to Mayfield. So a righty D had a lefty stick and of course, the puck came to him to clear. He wisely tried to backhand it to use the curve to his advantage, but the puck went right to a Lightning point player, who blasted a shot- hitting Lee. :lol: They both laughed at the bench. Mayfield gave Lee the stick back and Lee tested it, made a face and said "it's broken!". He then yelled down the bench, presumably at Mayfield. :lol: I can only assume it was something like "what the fuck do you DO to sticks?"
    Eberle had gone 10 games without a goal and fans were really turning on him. Now he's a hero again. NY fans... :roll: Guy has been making great passes, saved a goal against the other night, etc. Finally got one to go in. So happy for him!
    Varlamov's head first slide into the celebration nearly took out Barzal. That would be great!
    In the post-game interviews a reporter asked Varlamov about the "Pete Rose style slide"... Varlamov looked like "who the fuck is Pete Rose?". Boychuk looked over at him to see his face and hid a smirk behind his hand. Varlamov said he was just so happy he had to do something to join in. :lol: Showed a very different side from his usual stoic self.
    Barzal looks like he's gone a few rounds with a boxer. Trotz told him he can expect some more facial scars if they keep playing.
    Boychuk blocked quite a few shots, including one that broke his skate blade off. Varlamov pushed him toward the bench when the Isles cleared the zone (which Boychuk did from his ass). Boychuk was laughing once he got to the bench. He played like 12 minutes and lead both teams in blocked shots.
    This is the farthest the Isles have been since 1983 when they lost the SCF- in Edmonton.
    GAME 6 SUCKAS! :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
Now it's time for Eberle to get the game winner!

Great Call Chris!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm 

Scott 679 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Now it's time for Eberle to get the game winner!

Great Call Chris!

I did call that, didn't I? Go me!!! :viking: :lol:

And yes EL, Pageau has been great on faceoffs. Best Isle center since Sillinger for faceoffs. And Pageau is feisty too, which is something Isles forwards generally lack. Dude was a great addition!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:38 am 

Game 6 in 8.5 hours. I'm so nervous, you'd think I was playing in it. My caloric intake for the day is off the charts so far. Good thing I've got practice tonight. I may join the players for power skating drills to work some of it off. Or die. The funny thing is, I was convinced they'd lose Game 5, so I wasn't nervous at all. Figured they had zero chance at winning the series. I'm still kind of convinced they don't have a real shot at winning the series, but I have that feeling they can win tonight. So if they lose, it'll be awful. Then I think "if they win this one and go to Game 7, they have a REAL SHOT at winning the whole series!" and that's when I think it'll be devastating if they lose.

Fucking sports. Why do we get into this shit??? Sitting here in my orange/blue checkered Vans, eating like I'm a hobbit (literally had breakfast, 2nd breakfast, 11sies...) thinking that having my Isles blanket with the logo facing out will bring them good luck and help them win... What the hell is wrong with us all? Grown ass man wearing team colored shoes in my house, like it's going to help players 3000 miles away. Dumb ass.

All that said, the Vans are on, the blanket is facing the right way, there's a birch beer ready for me to open at the start of the 2nd period, like I have done in all playoff games except 2 of their losses (proving beyond ANY argument that it makes a difference)........

LET'S FUCKING GO ISLES!!! :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:44 am 
Big in Japan

All hail the Kings of New York Sports: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/299 ... ork-sports

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm 

E.L. wrote:
All hail the Kings of New York Sports: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/299 ... ork-sports

:laugh: For the Islanders to de-thrown the Yankees as kings of NY sports, they'd have to launch into a dynasty era that makes the 1980 dynasty look lucky. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to hear the Isles talked about on main stream news, but there's no way they will ever supplant the Yankees as the biggest team in NY. Even if you take the Yankees away, the NY football teams have much larger fan bases, even when they suck.

It's a stereotype, but lots of NYers are split like this- Yankees/Giants/Rangers/Knicks vs Mets/Jets/Nets/Isles, and that's often the order they rate their rooting interests. I couldn't imagine being solely in that last group. :laugh: Thankfully for me, when I can be bothered with baseball I'm a Yankee fan. I couldn't care less about football. I liked the attitude the mid-90s Knicks had with Oakley and Mason, but they totally changed after those guys left and I'm back to not caring at all about basketball.

And it's nice to see Wyshinski, who I miss from the Puck Daddy days, talking to Don LaGreca, who is one of two guys on ESPN NY who talks hockey at all. The other being DiPietro. I still don't get why the 2 of them don't have a hockey show, other than the fact that almost nobody in NY gives a shit about hockey (percentage wise anyway). Even mid-summer, there's lots of football talk. Baseball talk in winter. Basketball is a distant third and hockey is like "ohhhhh yeah, there's that other sport that like 14 of you weirdos are really into. We don't understand why." When Max Kellerman had a radio show on ESPN NY I called him because he was saying hockey is dumb. I asked him if there was a sport that involved power, high speed, huge hits, grace, extreme violence, incredible agility and a 4-round playoff system, would he watch it. He sounded like he knew it was a trap and said "I gueeeeeess, what is it?" And I said "it's hockey, which you keep bagging on. You probably just haven't watched with the right people." He watched a bit more and eventually pandered to hockey fans for a while. The station was 1050 AM, so he did a "hockey rant at 10:50 on 1050". He did it for a while, but eventually turned it into a Mets rant the following spring and predictably, got like 50x the callers. Mets fans love to bitch about their team more than any other fan base. If I recall correctly, he gave it the very unPC name "the battered Mets fan hotline".

Even in the dynasty days, I don't think the Isles were kings of NY sports. If Bossy had walked onto the subway, probably a handful of people would have recognized him. If a Yankees utility infielder got on that same subway he'd be mobbed.

By the way, I'd like to point out that with the Edmonton and Toronto arenas being considered "home" for some games, the Isles probably have a world record for most home arenas by a team in a single season with 4- Nassau Coliseum, Barclays, Toronto and Edmonton. :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:27 pm 

Cooper, sounding like a total douche bag- "It took the stars aligning on a fanned shot for them to get the break they got" on the Isles Game 5 win.

I hope the Isles make him eat those words tonight.
Game 1- Isles played with 0 rest days. Won Game 7, traveled the day after, got spanked 8-2 the day after that.
Game 2- Isles outplayed the Bolts, who won with 8 seconds left, leading to the 2nd most awkward NHL coach-punching celebration after Sutter's Cup press conference.

Just shut the fuck up Cooper. You now sound like your resting smug-dick face.

Trotz on the Beauvillier double-minor: "I'm blanking out on it because I almost had a heart attack when he took a 4-minute penalty at that time of the game."

Rumor is Stamkos skated today. Ruh Roh Shaggy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:

To be fair, he was a lawyer once.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

To be fair, he was a lawyer once.

True.

Read that Cizikas left the bubble because his retina detached near the end of Game 4 after a huge hit. Fucking fuck.
Still haven't found why Kuhnackl left. I was hoping he'd get in after Cizikas left. Kuhnackl was good in the games he played.

GAME 6- BRING THE NOISE! :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 pm 

No Pelech. :chairshot:
Noah Dobson in as 7th D. Same 11 forwards as last game.

1-1 after like 8 minutes. Toews on a wrap around from Lee and Barzal for the Isles.
Hedman on one of the biggest rebounds I've ever seen. Maybe someone could defend that fuck.
Sergachev hit the post on a clear chance.

Anyone who says these games are boring isn't watching. I may shit my pants soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 pm 

1-1 after 1. Lightning have missed a few golden opportunities. Shots are 16-5 in favor of the Lightning. Fucking A. Varlamov can't keep this up. Lightning have hit the post or missed the net a few times too.

Isles line blender is kind of amusing, also infuriating. They're putting either Martin or Clutterbuck on with Barzal every time so he's got someone to make a hit and free the puck for him, and to get him some space. But it seems like the 2nd line (Beauvillier, Nelson and Bailey) are the only line not being fucked with every shift.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Hedman on one of the biggest rebounds I've ever seen. Maybe someone could defend that fuck.
Anyone who says these games are boring isn't watching. I may shit my pants soon.
:lol:

Love the enthusiasm Chris, absolutely love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
:lol:

Love the enthusiasm Chris, absolutely love it.

Thanks. My wife doesn't! She's left the room because she's trying to work on a grad school paper and was about to choke me.

25 saves for Varlamov through 2 periods. Still 1-1.

Sphincter is holding up as of now. I may puke soon though. If they keep giving up shots like a bartender at a frat party, dinner is coming up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:50 pm 

Jesus fucking Christ. Another 4 min PK bridging the last 23 seconds into OT. Kucherov lifted Greene's stick with his own and skated past, lifting Greene's stick into Kucherov's puckered asshole of a face. Bloody nose so it's 4 minutes. :chairshot:

I still don't understand how Toews knocking a puck out of the air and over the glass was a delay of game penalty. I thought that was one of the exceptions to getting a penalty.

Overtime. At this point, I may just drop dead. I've stress eaten enough for like 3 days today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Oh man too much OT for an Isles fan to bear. Call for help if you feel a sharp pain in your shoulder.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 pm 
Big in Japan

:(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Err sorry Chris that’s sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 am 

It sucks when it happens, but if anyone had told me before the restart that they'd reach OT of Game 6 of the ECF, I'd certainly have signed up. I never expected this team to get anywhere near this and Tampa are just so stacked it seems unfair.

Lots to be proud of and look forward to in the future. Can't wait for the 20-21 season to start.

Trotz said after the game that Pelech got hurt early in Game 5 but played it out on adrenaline. He'll need surgery. Wouldn't say what it was, but said the team will release it. I think it was a shoulder.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
It sucks when it happens, but if anyone had told me before the restart that they'd reach OT of Game 6 of the ECF, I'd certainly have signed up. I never expected this team to get anywhere near this and Tampa are just so stacked it seems unfair.

Lots to be proud of and look forward to in the future. Can't wait for the 20-21 season to start.

Trotz said after the game that Pelech got hurt early in Game 5 but played it out on adrenaline. He'll need surgery. Wouldn't say what it was, but said the team will release it. I think it was a shoulder.

Not a bad finish at all.

I still have mixed feelings about Varly but I’m glad he had a fantastic run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next