OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/schedule/2018-10-01/ET

11 games in 27 days in October, including two 3-day breaks and a 4-day break. Very odd.

Lines to start the season:
Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-Nelson-Eberle (all UFAs)
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck (yes, they're apparently being used as a 3rd line)
Komarov-Filppula-Johnston
Fritz/Kuhnackl
Ladd on IR

Sbisa-Leddy (Yes, the league's worst +/- guy from last year is not only switching sides, but is now playing with Sbisa to boot!)
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey-Boychuk
Mayfield

Lehner
Greiss

Trotz behind the bench, with most of his former assistants, which is great.

Bridgeport looks to have the best lineup they ever have. That's partially due to WTF moments of sending down talented players to keep culture change guys, but also because they brought them in to help win down there.

Post subject: Re: 2018-19 Schedule
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:54 am 

2-1 OT win vs Carolina to start the season. The "system" looked very much like last year: Allow 45 shots and hope the goalie is psyched up to play well, and rely on the goal posts (at least 3 solid clangs by the Hurricanes).

Nice play by Filppula on his goal, and Nelson to get him the puck. Not sure how guys from the 2nd & 4th lines wound up on the ice together.

Carolina's goal should not have happened. Isles won the faceoff in their zone right back to Pelech and he blindly chucked it up the boards right to the point. Nice panic move there, bud.
The OT winner was very Ovi-like by Bailey, one-timing a pass from the dot.

The old "best 4th line in hockey" is now a really meh 3rd line. They don't produce much offense, but they are "tough to play against". Grit and culture... Maybe it'll work.

Komarov looked like he hadn't played in years. Filppula and Fritz looked much better than him.

At least Greiss played well! Can't expect that every night though. He's currently got a .980 save %! Waaaaay up from last year. :lol:

It was really weird seeing de Haan in red. :(

Predators on Saturday for the Isles first home opener.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:04 pm 

Dropped the home opener 4-3 to the Predators. Good game. Barzal with 1-1. Lee with a PP goal. Filppula with another goal! He leads the team. :lol:
Greiss didn't look horrible, but he certainly wasn't great. I expect Lehner to start the next game.
Pulock got BURNED on the Preds' first goal.
During introductions Isles fans booed Sbisa. That's bullshit. The guy hasn't done anything bad. I know many of them blame his presence for Toews or Aho being in Bridgeport, but the guy's on the team. Welcome him. He looked pissed about it.

Forgot - Isles hired Travis Williams away from Pittsburgh the other day. He's an exec in Business Ops. Supposedly a really smart guy and great hiring, who will help with the Belmont stuff. Sounds good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:29 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Dropped the home opener 4-3 to the Predators. Good game. Barzal with 1-1. Lee with a PP goal. Filppula with another goal! He leads the team. :lol:
Greiss didn't look horrible, but he certainly wasn't great. I expect Lehner to start the next game.
Pulock got BURNED on the Preds' first goal.
During introductions Isles fans booed Sbisa. That's bullshit. The guy hasn't done anything bad. I know many of them blame his presence for Toews or Aho being in Bridgeport, but the guy's on the team. Welcome him. He looked pissed about it.

Forgot - Isles hired Travis Williams away from Pittsburgh the other day. He's an exec in Business Ops. Supposedly a really smart guy and great hiring, who will help with the Belmont stuff. Sounds good.

If it's the goal I'm thinking of, to be fair to Pulock that was an absolutely insane move by Arvidsson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:20 pm 

Yes it was a great move by Arvid. That would get him right to the Head of the Class. ;)

Lehner with a shutout in his first start. 4-0 win over the Sharks. Cizikas with a SH EN, Martin with his first, Mayfield also gets his first- in his first game. And Lee with another PP goal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Yes it was a great move by Arvid. That would get him right to the Head of the Class. ;)

There was a guy named "Blunden" in the NHL for a while, and every time I heard his name I thought of Dennis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

There was a guy named "Blunden" in the NHL for a while, and every time I heard his name I thought of Dennis.

Well spotted. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:58 pm 

Ladd participating in full practices. Fritz sent down to make room for him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:31 pm 

Cizikas is on the IR with a lower body injury, so instead of inserting of their press box jockeys, bringing up Tanner Fritz, Ho-Sang, Bellows or anyone else, the Isles signed PTO guy Steven Gionta to a 2-way deal and have him playing tonight. What the fucking fuck? If they'd just say they're tanking for a high pick, I'd be fine with moves like this. But they haven't said anything like that. So this is a real head scratcher/remote thrower. Gionta is obviously an NHL vet, which Bridgeport has a bunch of, so they have issues with the 5 max in any game. So he's with the Isles for now. Sigh.

Finally playing again. Last game of the year vs the Preds. :lol: Lehner in net again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 am 

Lost 5-2 to Preds, looking meh.
Lost to Ducks, looking great. Gibson beat them.
Beat the Kings 7-2, with a bunch of Grinders getting goals. Chased Quick from the net after 6 goals. Lehner was supposedly hit in the head with a shot and was taken out with about 7 minutes to go, heading straight to the locker room. No word yet if he pulled himself, or it was spotted by a concussion protocol person. I went to bed after the 1st period. These west coast trips are not conducive to me watching, since I get up early for work. The league really needs to ask me what times fit my viewing schedule.

Off today, and in San Jose on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

I actually watched the third period on NHL Network. Kings looked so old and tired, and I don't believe the Isles are a roster full of speedsters either. It was like every time the puck somehow made it past their defenseman there was an odd-man break.

I suppose if nothing else, Barry Trotz knows how to get the most out of grinders. Leo Komarov and his insufferable upturned-visored face looks good right now, and so does my old pal Voltron.

Has Barzal scored a goal yet? He looks great out there and is creating chances but I thought I read somewhere he hasn't lit the lamp himself. Not a big deal of course but I kinda wish Trotz would use him instead of Brock of Gibraltar on the top line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs ought to call on Leddy and Toews. Get to rebuilding the left side of their blueline.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 pm 

Barzal has 1 goal, and had another taken away on a bit of a bullshit call. Still has 7 points in 6 games.
He's been on the top line, but Trotz has been shuffling the shit out of the lines trying to find chemistry. So maybe you saw him with lesser wingers? I didn't see. These west coast games are way too late. I start work at 5 AM these days.

So even though it's Saturday I won't be up for tonight's game vs the Sharts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 am 

Isles lose in OT to the Panthers. While on the PP with less than 2:00 to go in regulation, Barzal got lazy and interfered with a Panther. So the Panthers had a 4-3 PP in OT and scored with 2 seconds left on it. :roll:
Nice to see Eberle finally get on the score sheet. Nelson's goal was pretty amusing- he shot and it pinballed around until he celebrated, but Ekblad pulled it out and tried to clear it. Play continued while Nelson celebrated. The Isles kept the puck in the zone and after like 30 seconds the horn blew during play. Review showed it clearly crossing the line.

Another 2 days off before playing 3 in 4 days. Breaks of 4, 3, 3 and 2 days during opening month might sound good, like time for a new coach to keep going over systems, but it's been impossible for them to get into a rhythm. Damn you schedule maker! :doom: Next 3 games are in Philly, Carolina and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is a home/home set going into Nov. Great for the Isles to face Crosby and co while still learning a new D system. :lol:

It was announced yesterday the Isles are moving the Feb 28th game, Tavares' first return, to the renovated Coliseum. Some say it's a way of making it easier to sell out, some say it's tougher for Leafs fans to get to, some say it's because they want the fans on top of him- chanting asshole the whole game. Others say they're happy to tailgate in the parking lot and have more opportunity to do things to let him know how much they hate him... Still others say this is a typical bush league "LOLanders" move since they had gotten tickets for Brooklyn but can't make it to the Coliseum for whatever reason. I haven't looked but one guy was saying that the prices have jumped from $110 to $200 since they announced it. My take is- the fact there are still tickets available is why the game was moved. And of course someone else said Tavares hated Barclays, so they're still trying to please him by moving it closer to the house he still owns on LI. :roll: Yep. I'm sure he'll demand a trade tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm 

Update- Isles say they moved the Feb 28th game to the Coliseum because they're playing there the night before, and it would be a pain in the ass to move everything back to Barclays for the next day. Conspiracy theories still exist. :lol: Where's the head pyramid smiley?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Awesome hit by Provarov on Barzal. Barzal was totally vulnerable trying to catch a pass. Provarov sees it coming, doesn't take a bunch of strides into him to really try and kill him, gets low and comes up, puts his shoulder on Barzal's shoulder and lays him out. Little tap on Barazal's shoulder after and Barzal just skates away while his team makes a stink.

Not a fan of the getting low and coming up but that's as clean a hit as you'll see on a guy in a really vulnerable spot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:13 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Awesome hit by Provarov on Barzal. Barzal was totally vulnerable trying to catch a pass. Provarov sees it coming, doesn't take a bunch of strides into him to really try and kill him, gets low and comes up, puts his shoulder on Barzal's shoulder and lays him out. Little tap on Barazal's shoulder after and Barzal just skates away while his team makes a stink.

Not a fan of the getting low and coming up but that's as clean a hit as you'll see on a guy in a really vulnerable spot.

I missed the whole game, so I didn't see that until now. Yeah, perfectly clean hit, shoulder to shoulder. No problem with it. That said, the Isles can't afford to lose Barzal, so they need to make it clear that anyone who hits him, even cleanly, is going to hear about it afterwards.
Great game for the Isles though. 6-1 win over the Flyers.

Nice 2-1 win over the Hurricanes tonight, with Greiss playing really well. he's only allowed 2 goals on the last 130 shots he's faced vs the Hurricanes, and has won his last 5 games vs them. Crazy how a player can play really well vs a certain opponent.

Isles take their first "winning streak" (2 games haha) in a home/home vs the Penguins. So that'll be broken ASAP. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am 

Isles beat the Pens 6-3, despite being outshot and outplayed. Lehner saved 23/25 through two periods and left the game, apparently injured. No word on what it is. I missed the game, but Isles blogs essentially say he walked off after the 2nd and seemed to be telling the coaches he was done for the night. Maybe he's just sick? Hopefully good news will come out today.

3 wins in a row catapult them into Metro2, with 13 points in 11 games. Behind the Pens, who they play tomorrow, and will probably whoop the shit out of the Isles. I won't believe in this team unless they've gotten through Dec in a playoff position, which I seriously doubt will happen.

Bailey & Barzal with 12 points in 11 games, although they combine for 3 goals. :shock: Time to start scoring kids!
I know it's old school, but Barzal is a -7. Although he's been reunited with Eberle & Beauvillier, which has looked good for all of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:12 am 
Big in Japan

Pierre Lebrun on MTL radio yesterday speculated that Lou Lams will go all-in on Bobrovsky, who's playing his way off the Jackets earlier than expected.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:43 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pierre Lebrun on MTL radio yesterday speculated that Lou Lams will go all-in on Bobrovsky, who's playing his way off the Jackets earlier than expected.

Last night probably didn't give the Jax much confidence in the Korpedo though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next