OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 off-season
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:47 am 
Big in Japan

They might want to see if they have a shot at Panarin and Bobrovsky first...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
They might want to see if they have a shot at Panarin and Bobrovsky first...

Somewhat understood, and if they land Panarin then it may be worth it. But I don't see Bobrovsky as an improvement over Lehner. People will obviously disagree with that, but here's a big part of my reasoning. Isles fans were gutted July 1 last year. Almost everyone predicted them to finish dead last in the league. Lehner signed, basically as the last 2 single people at the club at closing time. He needed a team and they needed a goalie... Then he opened up about his issues and Isles fans welcomed him. Then he played great and Isles fans loved him even more. He became a fan favorite in no time. Now to let him walk??? It's dumb. And Lee took over as Captain, and took it from Johnny Robot's boring, canned replies to everything, to Lee giving videos about what was going on with the team, and talking to fans all the time. Now to let them walk feels like the year they let Okposo, Nielsen and Martin walk. A little success and they kind of piss on the guys who brought it. Just seems totally wrong.

Yes, Panarin is obviously better than Lee. Bob vs Lehner? I'd take Lehner. But still, I see both Lee and Lehner as fan favorites, and it's risky to let them hit the market without having their replacements locked up. If they lose those 2 and don't replace them with upgrades, and I don't know who is an upgrade on Lehner, the Isles are fucked. And none of this is even getting into the fact that the Devils and Rangers have gotten way better over the last week...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bob is 30 and while he finally took the "never won a playoff round" monkey off his back, I wouldn't be throwing mad money at him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Bob is 30 and while he finally took the "never won a playoff round" monkey off his back, I wouldn't be throwing mad money at him.

Agreed. But I just read an article in which Lehner says he's not talking to other teams as of now: https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-robin-lehner-1.32825515

That may all be totally true, or it may be his way of blaming Lou if he leaves. Same with Lee. We all know Lou plays hardball, so it's not surprising.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Panarin and Bob ain't the Sedins. They might be looking at tandem offers, but neither will take a paycut. 12M and Bread is yours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:45 am 

There's also a rumor they're talking to Varlamov because he's friends with Isles prospect/KHL superstar Ilya Sorokin. The story line goes that they sign Varlamov to a 3 year deal, so he's here next year and tells Sorokin how great it is. After Sorokin's contract is up at the end of next year he comes over, and the 2 split starts for 2 years and get to hang out like BFFs. Would an NHL team really do that? Wasn't Eberle supposedly brought in to keep Tavares around? That worked out wonderfully. :lol:

Still rumors the Isles will offer sheet Marner if he makes it that far. I don't see it happening. Lou is too old school.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 pm 

Word on the street now is that Isles are truly going for Bobrovsky and Panarin, in hopes of quickly becoming a "win now" team. Lee is thought to be headed to the Wild or Blackhawks. Lehner going to either Fl or Clumbus. Lee- I like the guy as a player, a captain and as a person. But he's looking for 7-8 years, and his style of play will break his body down by then. I can kind of see walking away from him. But letting Lehner go in favor of Bobrovsky??? Fuck that shit.
Could the Islanders really land 2 major UFAs? I have a feeling they'll be dissed at the last minute and told they were "in it til the end", then they'll be fucked, similar to last year. But this time, it'll be Lou's fault for jerking around his incumbent UFAs. Lee was supposedly saying he'd give the Isles last shot before he actually signs elsewhere, because he wants to stay. But he might be getting pissed by now and not do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:52 am 
Big in Japan

At least by already bringing back Nelson and Eberle, Lou has shielded himself a bit from too much criticism. Not easy holding on to four big ticket UFAs.

Wonder if Lou is interested in Duchene. Could see him moving on to Dzingel or Zucc if they strike out on Bread or Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 am 

E.L. wrote:
At least by already bringing back Nelson and Eberle, Lou has shielded himself a bit from too much criticism. Not easy holding on to four big ticket UFAs.

Wonder if Lou is interested in Duchene. Could see him moving on to Dzingel or Zucc if they strike out on Bread or Lee.

No fucking clue what Lou is thinking. He wanted to build a culture where players wanted to be on the Islanders. Well congrats dude! Lee and Lehner have been very clear all along they really want to stay, and are now reluctantly looking elsewhere! I get that it's good some UFAs may want to be here too, but to hang 2 of your incumbent UFAs out to dry when they've said they only want to be here, just isn't a good look. I know- he's Lou and way smarter than fans... It just looks bad though.

Lots of rumors the Isles are talking to Cam Talbot, in case they miss on Bob. I guess I should assume that Greco and Korn could fix just about anyone's issues, but I feel bad for whomever replaces Lehner if they don't play well early on. The fans are furious that Lehner isn't being brought back and will turn on that new goalie in a hurry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:05 pm 

Y'know...for all of Lou's experience, he's got very little of it in enticing marquee free agents to sign. In fact, his past forays into free agency have been outright disastrous. He was always that guy who swung a big trade every year that somehow worked out in his favor every single time. I read that when he was with the Leafs they messed up with Steven Stamkos and waaaaaaay overdid it by bringing in the mayor of Toronto and the guy in charge of Canadian Tire, it apparently scared him off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:44 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Y'know...for all of Lou's experience, he's got very little of it in enticing marquee free agents to sign. In fact, his past forays into free agency have been outright disastrous. He was always that guy who swung a big trade every year that somehow worked out in his favor every single time. I read that when he was with the Leafs they messed up with Steven Stamkos and waaaaaaay overdid it by bringing in the mayor of Toronto and the guy in charge of Canadian Tire, it apparently scared him off.

That doesn't sound at all like something Lou would do. That probably came from above. His attitudes on UFAs has seemingly always been "I'm not overpaying or bending over for a player. You don't like my market value offer? Go get overpaid elsewhere."

That said, there's a rumor going around that he's offering Panarin 7 years at $11.25/year, and Bobrovsky a high price as well. Brooks says the Rangers are offering Panarin 11-11.25, but not offering Bob anything. So what will most likely happen? Panarin will sign with the Rangers, Bob with the Panthers, but both will say how the Isles were right there until the end and it was a tough decision...

They did extend Tom Kuhnackl today- 1 year, $850k. Good signing. He was good in the time he got last year. That said, I'd prefer something much bigger than that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 am 

Six hours to go. Supposedly Panarin and Varlamov are headed to the Isles. I could see a last minute offer from someone totally derailing Panarin, just because Islanders.
No money left for Lee. :( Someone wrote on the Isles Twitter page something along the lines of "If we're going to keep letting our captains walk, can you please make Andrew Ladd Captain? Today!" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:30 pm 

Oh. Shit. Panarin's going to the Rangers!? And Anders Lee is gone!????!?!? This might be an even worse offseason for the Isles than 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 pm 

Okay, cooler heads prevailed and the Isles are not losing consecutive captains after all. 7 years, $49 million for Anders Lee. That's some decent change and massive term, but not nearly as bad as the $9 million being rumored.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Okay, cooler heads prevailed and the Isles are not losing consecutive captains after all. 7 years, $49 million for Anders Lee. That's some decent change and massive term, but not nearly as bad as the $9 million being rumored.

Pardon me, I've been puking since like 11:30.

So, first it sounds like Panarin was dicking the Isles around all along, trying to get the Rangers to up their offer. Not to literally outbid the Isles, who supposedly offered 7 years @ $12 million. He took $11.67 million from the Rangers. Said his wife really wanted to be in Manhattan. So once again, the top UFA dissed the Isles to take less money elsewhere.

So once that bomb dropped, Lou ran back to Lee, whom he had been lowballing all along. Lee wanted term, Lou didn't want to give it. Well, he fucked himself in the ass pretty good, because Lee supposedly had an offer of 7 years @ $9 million from the Habs. Once the Habs heard Lee was off the table, they offer sheeted Sebastian Aho, because they heard the Isles were going to do it. The Canes matched, so that's over with. But Lee for 7 years @ $7 million/year is insane. But, Lou painted himself into a corner with his hardball bullshit.

Then, there was Lehner, who Lou was hardballing, with a 2 year deal @ $5 million/year. Lehner was obviously pretty pissed about it, because he took 1 year @ $5 million from the Blackhawks. Lou said he did all he could to bring Lehner back. I have no idea wtf that means, when the guy took 1 year less for the same money, and said all along he wanted to be back. He loved it on Long Island.

Then Lou signed Varlamov for 4 years @ $5 million/year. Fucking really? How the fuck is he a step up from Lehner??? Lou's master plan is supposed that Varlamov and Sorokin are good friends, and he'll help get Sorokin over after next season, when his KHL contract is up. How close are they? When Varlamov was asked by NY press if Sorokin is coming over he said "I don't know. Ask his agent. I'll tell you he's a great guy." They have the same agent. But yeah, sounds like he really knows him well... Call his agent. BFFs, for shizzle.

Fuck July 1st. Lou has repeatedly shown that he sucks dog balls at free agency. I like most of his ideas and moves. But he can't close a deal for shit.

They still need help at Center. Brian Boyle for 4 years? Why the fuck not. They need more 4th liners.

And they re-announced the Kuhnackl signing today. Why? To make it seem like Lou did something else.

Lou was asked when the Belmont groundbreaking will be- "very soon I won't have to answer that question". yay.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 pm 

I don't get the Lehner thing. You sign him to a one-year "show me" deal, dude SHOWS them and then some...and they promptly shove him out the door in favor of a guy who played 24, 51, and 49 games last season!?

Good luck to Varly, but...yeesh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm 

This was funny though.

https://twitter.com/leeberr09/status/11 ... 8619942912

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:40 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

It was. And I'm glad he's back. I just think Lou royally fucked up on the deal.
And the Lehner thing- I can't figure it out for the life of me. The only thing I can think is that Lou was concerned Lehner would relapse or something. But they booted a rehabbed alcohol abuser to bring in an accused woman abuser. I know there wasn't enough evidence for a criminal case and he won the civil case, but a lot of evidence was suppressed, and abuse is often hard to "prove". So I already don't like Varlamov. Replacing Lehner really digs him a hole with Isles fans. He'd better hope Greco and Korn can really work absolute magic for him.

Isles have about $8.6 million in space, and have to sign Beauvillier and Dal Colle (RFAs), while keeping in mind that next year they have Barzal, Pulock and Toews as RFAs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 pm 

It gets worse. Lehner said he has nothing bad to say about his time on LI, but in the end, Lou gave him an ultimatum offer and only a few hours to decide before he pulled the offer. That's no way to treat a guy who had fans of other teams, even Rangers and Devils, cheering for the Isles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm 

You're preachin' to the choir when it comes to Varlamov. I tried to convince myself, like a lot of other Avs fans, that it was much ado about nothing, but I just couldn't dismiss it from my mind. In the end I'm just glad I don't have to root for my team with him wearing the uniform any longer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next