OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2019 off-season
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:03 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
When does Lou turn his attention towards Barzal and Pulock extendos?

I assume he's partially working on that now as a secondary focus. Primary focus being trade-bait on the teams that are over/near the Cap.
And don't forget the Isles also have Devon Toews going to RFA status at year's end. He became a very important piece as soon as he got called up. Pulock and Toews will both be arbitration eligible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:28 am 

Ladd and Clutterbuck are back skating. Clutterbuck had back surgery for a stress fractured vertebrae, 2 rotated vertebrae and 2 slipped discs. Yeesh. Best answer about his recovery- "I feel taller!" He'd been hunched over in pain a lot. :lol:

Bode Wilde and Bobo Carpenter already have injuries from rookie camp. Wilde sprained an ankle and Carpenter has a shoulder injury. Good start.

Rookie camp goes until the 11th. Anyone cut early will hopefully say "But it goes to 11!" I don't think anyone will be cut from rookie camp, but wanted to write that joke. Don't like it? Piss off. Spinal Tap jokes are always in season and it ties back to Clutterbuck's back surgery, so this, in my opinion, is a really well crafted pre-season post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ryan Bourque, endeared to Avalanche fans forever for being the kid crying tears of happiness as his father lifted the Stanley Cup for the first time, has been invited to Isles camp on a PTO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:09 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ryan Bourque, endeared to Avalanche fans forever for being the kid crying tears of happiness as his father lifted the Stanley Cup for the first time, has been invited to Isles camp on a PTO.

He's played the last 2 years on the Isles AHL affiliate.

Isles camp didn't open without some shit curdling news. Mat Barzal was asked about this past summer. He said he was really hoping for some successful offer sheets, adding that he loves chaos and hopes someone really shakes up the league. Why is that so scary to Isles fans? Because he's entering the last year of his ELC and will be an RFA come July 1st. And the same goes for Ryan Pulock and Devon Toews. And, the Isles don't exactly have a ton of cap space. And, they have shitty contracts like Ladd, Clutterbuck and Komarov. And, they're the Isles, so if any team would somehow lose a prime RFA to an offer sheet, guess who it would be!

Ladd is still out, and will be for a while. Clutterbuck is in regular practices and not wearing a no contact jersey. At least they could LTIR Ladd.

At least real hockey news is back!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 am 
OTP Historian

Quote:
He said he was really hoping for some successful offer sheets, adding that he loves chaos and hopes someone really shakes up the league.

I know you wouldn't be thrilled to hear this, but I love this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:47 pm 

Well I definitely love chaos too but not if my team is the one getting chaos'd. :lol:

Lou has proven to be pretty bad at managing the cap, which I find kinda odd since he had his best years managing a team on a budget when there was no cap and teams outspent his regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Ladd and Clutterbuck are good bets to go on LTIR before their deals are up. Wonder if they're baking that into their long-term plans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 pm 

Wouldn't doubt it. It's really exceedingly easy for a team to place a veteran player on LTIR. By the time any professional athlete reaches their mid-thirties, chances are they're battling all kinds of stuff to stay on their feet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Wouldn't doubt it. It's really exceedingly easy for a team to place a veteran player on LTIR. By the time any professional athlete reaches their mid-thirties, chances are they're battling all kinds of stuff to stay on their feet.

Yeah, I'd bet they're both headed to LTIR in the next year or two. Ladd was an awful signing. Too much for too long, for a guy who was already too old. I'll never forget it was within his first few games with the Isles, he hadn't scored yet. Tavares got the puck and headed toward an empty net, looked back and dished it to Ladd, who fumbled it and Tavares wound up regaining possession and putting it into the empty net himself (not even an assist for Ladd). Tavares had a look like "this is the fucking winger they got to replace my bff Okposo?"

4 more years of Ladd. Thanks Snow. You're the best.

Luca Sbisa, in camp on a PTO, scored the game winner vs the Flyers. Fucking great. He was asked and said it was good just to play, since he hadn't really played in 9.5 months. He played 9 games for the Isles last year. He'll probably get a 1 year, $750k deal out of that goal, because veteran presence or some shit like that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:43 am 

Isles split their last 2 pre-season games vs the Rangers. PP looks pretty good.
Still lots of questions about the roster. Dobson staying or going back to juniors? Ho-Sang scratched from the last pre-season game. Is he on the roster or headed back to Bridgeport? Dal Colle, scored on the PP, maybe that helps his case, even if it was a rebound. They count too.
Simon Holmstrom has impressed, but I don't think anywhere near enough. But now they're saying they think he's closer to NHL ready and is eligible for Bridgeport, so maybe he goes there instead of back to Europe.

And of course, will Lou do anything to address a lack of scoring, since he has like 84 NHL quality D-men?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
Ho-Sang scratched from the last pre-season game. Is he on the roster or headed back to Bridgeport?

Looks like he is headed back to Bridgeport.

https://www.tsn.ca/ice-chips-new-york-i ... -1.1373972

Is this it for Ho-Sang? I haven't watched him, but is it still his attitude, or is he just a bust?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Ho-Sang scratched from the last pre-season game. Is he on the roster or headed back to Bridgeport?

Is this it for Ho-Sang? I haven't watched him, but is it still his attitude, or is he just a bust?

I think there's a lot of dicks in the media that just have it in for him because he speaks his mind. That's not allowed in the robotic hockey world. The Isles were 9-1 with him in the lineup last year. Sure he only had 2 points, but made the 3rd line valid. Unlike Leo fucking Komarov. But Leo's funny! Shit, so am I. I'd make Barzal laugh his ass off for $12 million over 4 years.

Back to the real point. Ho-Sang always seemed to tow the line with the Isles. After he was back in Bridgeport for a long time last year, he was asked by a reporter why he's not back up. He pointed out that they were 9-1 with him in the lineup (how I remember that), and said he wasn't sure why not, as he was doing what he was asked. People blew it up like he'd called Lou an old dick or something. I think reporters know his name will bring clicks, so they ask him questions they don't ask other players. You know if you ask him 10 questions he'll eventually say something you can spin to be really controversial. So they ask him 20... I still like him and hope other teams pass on him. I think he brings the skill required in today's NHL. I watched him skate circles around AHL guys last year after being sent down. He was actually responsible in the D-zone in pre-season games too. And he wasn't doing the classic zone entry, peel off and circle back like everyone knew he was going to do last year. He's been listening... I hope he gets a shot with the Isles soon.

Hickey is just victim of a numbers game. He's a good d-man. Isles are just loaded on D. Fans have been hoping for a D for O trade for a while... Everyone thinks Lou has forgotten how to use a cell phone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:55 am 
Big in Japan

From 2004-2018, Hickey only played for one WHL team, one AHL team and one NHL team. Seems weirdly consistent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Back to the real point. Ho-Sang always seemed to tow the line with the Isles. After he was back in Bridgeport for a long time last year, he was asked by a reporter why he's not back up. He pointed out that they were 9-1 with him in the lineup (how I remember that), and said he wasn't sure why not, as he was doing what he was asked. People blew it up like he'd called Lou an old dick or something. I think reporters know his name will bring clicks, so they ask him questions they don't ask other players. You know if you ask him 10 questions he'll eventually say something you can spin to be really controversial. So they ask him 20... I still like him and hope other teams pass on him. I think he brings the skill required in today's NHL. I watched him skate circles around AHL guys last year after being sent down. He was actually responsible in the D-zone in pre-season games too. And he wasn't doing the classic zone entry, peel off and circle back like everyone knew he was going to do last year. He's been listening... I hope he gets a shot with the Isles soon.

Thanks Chris, again, I haven't watched or followed Ho-Sang, but I had thought that he was towing the line and that it would only be a matter of time. He really should get his shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:53 am 

Glad to share info.

All 3 Isles passed through waivers. I forgot to include Tanner Fritz above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 am 
Big in Japan

On the plus side, Dal Colle made it. Maybe he's finally turned a corner.

I'm down on the Isles compared to last season purely because of the goaltending, but I forgot about Dobson. He could be a special player right away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:38 am 

E.L. wrote:
On the plus side, Dal Colle made it. Maybe he's finally turned a corner.

I'm down on the Isles compared to last season purely because of the goaltending, but I forgot about Dobson. He could be a special player right away.

I'm hoping Varlamov can come in with the same "I'll show the doubters!" mentality that Lehner came in with. Granted, Lehner's circumstances and honesty made him adored by the fan base and team mates. Varlamov's only personal news isn't good, even if it turned out that he was being extorted by someone with no real evidence. It still puts a doubt in the minds of some. I don't think he'll ever get the reception Lehner got. I actually can't wait for the standing ovation Lehner is sure to get when the Blackhawks visit.

I just realized- I need to get the schedule up and start a regular season thread. Woohoo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:45 pm 

I don't recall the last time a highly-touted draft bust was retained by a team and ended up being a useful, albeit disappointing player. And I don't think it's going to work here either. Erik Johnson's NHL career didn't really begin until he was free of St. Louis and the pressure of being a former first-overall pick. Isles should've gotten rid of MDC when they had the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:11 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I don't recall the last time a highly-touted draft bust was retained by a team and ended up being a useful, albeit disappointing player. And I don't think it's going to work here either. Erik Johnson's NHL career didn't really begin until he was free of St. Louis and the pressure of being a former first-overall pick. Isles should've gotten rid of MDC when they had the chance.

I think he'll be a third liner most of his career. Not great, not terrible. If he'd been a 2nd rounder or lower, that would be great. I don't put a lot of stock into what round a guy was taken. Some years are deeper than others.

But funny enough, his draft mate just demanded a trade. Josh Ho-Sang, who passed through waivers the other day, wants out. Lou even said so publicly, which is astounding, as he usually doesn't say anything publicly. Ho-Sang cleared waivers but has refused to report to Bridgeport. He had a really good camp and showed he'd been working on his defensive game. I can't blame him for being frustrated, especially when it's clear the Isles need offense and they have won with him in the lineup. As I said above, they were 9-1 with him last year, but someone on an Isles blog said the Isles are something like 35-7-2 with him in the lineup. That's from memory so I'm probably off, but it was a really good ratio in favor of him. Sure, that could be due to a lot of other things, but it was quite lopsided in his favor. And I know he'd have to stay in the NHL if a team claimed him off waivers and now that he's passed he could be sent to anther org's AHL team, but if he's demanding a trade because he truly feels he belongs in the NHL now, why would they trade for him? They'd be bringing in a guy known to be a problem, who went public with a trade request. They could have gotten him for free the other day...

Anyway. On to the regular season thread! :viking: