OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Ladd and Hickey are coming off IR, so that's also "like" a deadline deal, with nobody going out of the org. Although Dal Colle was sent down and I wonder if they have to demote a D-man too.

Heard Jeremy Smith will have to pass through waivers since his deal is a 2-way extension that would allow him to be a callup should they need a goalie. I hope they don't get to that point. Smith has a .900 and Gibson a .897 save % this year. I guess Greco and Korn have really concentrated on Greiss and Lehner so far. Yeesh.

So no deadline trades. Not a horrible thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:38 am 

Home vs the Flames tonight. Home vs the Leafs on Thursday. My younger daughter had a tournament game scheduled for Thursday night. I was not exactly thrilled to miss that game. One time I've ever been happy that a tournament schedule was changed without being notified that not only was the day changed, but we have to add another hotel night... I'll be on the couch watching Tavares' return to the Coliseum. We had thought about getting tickets but the prices are insane. I think more expensive than playoff games. People really want to have their say. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Lebrun on the Isles and Stone:

Quote:
What was Plan B? It had to be either Nashville or the Islanders although I don’t know that for sure. Both definitely made offers on Stone. The Predators ended up swinging a deal late for Wayne Simmonds so the timing of events makes sense, they would have done that after striking out on Stone. The Islanders ended up empty-handed on the day which would also support the evidence they took a run at Stone; sources indicate they were willing to pay a similar package (if not better) to what they offered for Matt Duchene on Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 am 

E.L. wrote:
Lebrun on the Isles and Stone:

Quote:
What was Plan B? It had to be either Nashville or the Islanders although I don’t know that for sure. Both definitely made offers on Stone. The Predators ended up swinging a deal late for Wayne Simmonds so the timing of events makes sense, they would have done that after striking out on Stone. The Islanders ended up empty-handed on the day which would also support the evidence they took a run at Stone; sources indicate they were willing to pay a similar package (if not better) to what they offered for Matt Duchene on Friday.

So the Isles continue to strike out on landing or keeping big names. WTF else is new?

Isles gave a shitty effort vs the Flames last night. 3-1 loss. I think they were looking ahead to Thursday. Fans certainly are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am 

Fuck this fucking site. I lost a really long post about the Isles 6-1 whooping of the Leafs in Tavares' return to the Coliseum. Ug.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Fuck this fucking site. I lost a really long post about the Isles 6-1 whooping of the Leafs in Tavares' return to the Coliseum. Ug.

That's too bad, when I saw the score my first thought was that I was looking forward to your post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 am 
King of Men

Chris! It times out on long posts! I typically use word or some other local medium. I want to hear what you have to say!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:55 am 
Big in Japan

What a whoopin!

Sorry you guys keep losing posts. It hasn't happened to me yet but I'll test some things out and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm 

:lol: The sad thing is that I lose posts all the time, curse the sky, and say it'll never happen again. Two days later, it's lather, rinse, repeat. Shit, I'll probably lose this one!

So- The Leafs stayed at a different hotel than the usual one across the road from the Coliseum. I was hoping fans would take my idea and clean show off car roofs in the parking lot so he'd look out and read "fuck you JT91". Oh well.

So in warmups someone threw some rubber snakes near him and someone else threw their Islanders Tavares jersey. Lots of others were modified to say LIAR, TRAITOR, etc... People had some other funny signs. One read "one autograph could have stopped all these boos." Fucking beautiful.

He looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock the whole time. I know he's usually expressionless, emotionless, but he looked rattled to me. Nobody in his camp prepared him for this! They thought he could sign in TO, leaving the Isles after all his promises of staying with them his whole career, etc, and they thought Isles fans would forget or wave goodbye. His crew deserve a serious slap about the ears for not telling him to do a better job than a fucking iPhone screenshot "goodbye" note to Isles fans, or the Players Tribune piece that was nothing more than a handjob to the Leafs and some Isles staff nobody has ever heard of.

So he got what he deserved, which was a night full of boos and chants directed to him. For the record, Isles fans sang along to the Canadian anthem, as they have been doing a lot in the last few years. Some of us were worried they'd be stupid and disrespect Oh Canada, so I'm really happy that they didn't. But JT heard chants like Barzy's Better, We Don't Need You (this one was very common), where's your jammies?, past your bed time (both in reference to his Leafs sheets Twitter post minutes after signing). One of my favorites was when Lee scored- That's Our Captain. Love that one. There was a rumor Lee is super close to signing an extension, and that it would be announced yesterday. I have a feeling Lee didn't want to do that to his friend.

Speaking of- all the Islanders* tapped their sticks on the ice or boards during the tribute video. Tavares got out and skated around, awkwardly clapping toward the Isles and I think he wanted to toward the fans, but the place was apparently deafening with boos. The TV feed included a direct audio feed to drown out the boos. All accounts of people there say they didn't even know there was audio, the boos were so loud. The one Islander who didn't tap his stick- "the kid who won the Calder". He stood on the ice, stick across his thighs. Dickhead forgot his name during his "uhh, they'll be fine without me" piece. At least he was right about one thing. The Isles are fine.

So a 6-1 drubbing of the Leafs. Most fans say they're pretty much over it now that they've had their chance to let him hear it. Some say they'll boo him every time he is in NY. Whatever. For all the Leafs media ragging on Isles fans for being classless, just remember the Frozen 5 and Mrs. Reimer getting DEATH THREATS from Leafs fans, and shut the fuck up. Isles fans have been pissed on for 30 years. We thought we had a guy who was loyal to our team, because he kept saying he was, then he split in a shitty way. So we hate him. Is that wrong? As far as Dreger asking if Isles fans are "over it yet"? This was his first return. It wasn't our fault the NHL scheduled it in late Feb. Duh.

Actual game: I can't decide which is my favorite goal- Lee scoring to set off the "That's Our Captain" chant, or Beauvillier scoring, and emphatically celebrating as JT coasts back into the D zone. I was hoping Beauvillier would pull the ultimate troll job and hug JT. He should have at least thanked him for not bothering to be in the same hemisphere as the Isles when they scored on a 3 on 1.

Leafs thought they tied it up in the 2nd period, but Isles fans were further treated to a special moment when we got a Wes McCauley "no goal" call after the Isles challenged for offsides, and won. Everyone in the post-game interviews gave credit to the video crew.

Very scary moment when Boychuk knocked a Leaf player down, and his leg came up like a donkey kick and got Boychuk in the neck/jaw area. The trainer ran right out and handed Boychuk a towel to hold to his neck, so everyone thought he was cut on the neck. But he wasn't and was back on the ice a few minutes later.

Post-game interviews.
Clutterbuck said the fans could have laid off JT during the tribute. Shut up Cal.
Lee and Bailey both said they are all still friends with JT, so it was a no-brainer to show him respect.
If anyone asked Barzal why he didn't tap his stick, they didn't show the reply, which would be very interesting.

Tavares once again looked like he wanted to eat his own face during the post-game interview. He continues to spout the strangest statements about fans not having walked in his shoes (as if he has ever condescended to try Isles fan shoes on). He said he was "always open and honest about (his) intentions". When was that, when he said "that's never gonna happen" to the question about signing in TO a year before he hit UFA status? When he said he wanted to remain an Islander for life, as the real greats play for 1 and only 1 team? Dude, it's 2019 and everyone knows what you said last year, 5 years ago, etc. Just shut the fuck up. Admit you wanted to leave and didn't tell the Isles that when you asked to NOT be traded at the deadline last year. Just be honest and Isles fans will have some respect for you. Stop flip-flopping on the story depending on if you're talking to NY or TO media. Funny note- Isles fans are already making memes with Leafs logo flip-flops saying "Tavares' shoes". :lol: Seriously dude, you physically moved on. You left, and you had every right to do so. Now stop hoping Isles fans forgive and wish you well in TO. It's not happening. We viewed it as you fucked the team and us over, so we hate you. Just accept that you're not getting a standing ovation in NY. Maybe in your last year before you retire, but in your first visit to NY, did you really expect applause? Sure, there was some, but most people were booing their lungs out. Live with it. You're considered a NY sports villain, even by Ranger fans. So just shut the fuck up.

On another note, the Isles are in first place by 2 points, but play the 2nd place Caps tonight. I fully expect a "Ranger hangover" to be in effect and see that they lose like 5-0 tonight. And I'm okay with that. :lol: I will miss the Isles game in favor of Miss18.2's year end tournament first game.

I think that covers most of what I wrote/lost this morning, but I know that was written in a more amusing manner. Oh well. Sorry dudes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Nice recap Chris!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

That was a delicious read.

I think fans paid for their ticket, they can boo as loudly as they want. It crosses the line when objects are thrown at the player and/or family members get harrassed. I saw a couple examples of the former, none of the latter (though JT's family would be nutso to enter that place for no good reason).

I listened to the first period or so on streaming radio, even through my phone I could tell the atmosphere was positively electric. That felt like a playoff game from the get-go. It's clear the Leafs kinda checked this one off as a scheduled loss. I don't think it was a coincidence that Babcock started Sparks and played both Marincin and Holl when he usually prefers to play the living hell outta guys like Hainsey and Zaitsev. They just wanted to get past this one and move on.

Boomer on NHL Radio said that it likely would've been an energized atmosphere but nowhere near what it was last night had it been in Barclays. The bummer about all this is if these two teams meet in the postseason it's gonna be there. No, c'mon NHL, put some damned playoff games in the Coliseum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:43 pm 

Assuming they make the playoffs, the first round will be at the Coliseum, and if they make further rounds they'll be at Barclays. Supposedly the Coliseum can't handle the modern media, especially increased concentration of later playoff rounds. That's the NHL's claim anyway.

Ah- a further fun part of last night- the Isles hit 81 points on the season with the win over the Leafs. They had 80 total last year. Booyah.

3-1 loss to the Caps with the 3rd being an empty netter. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but that almost makes it worse. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:58 am 

Well seeing as how Josh Bailey was the one who scored it, yeah, that was a bad empty-netter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Well seeing as how Josh Bailey was the one who scored it, yeah, that was a bad empty-netter.

Ha, I didn't even see highlights, or lowlights. But that's pretty funny that Bailey scored it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:00 am 

Isles lose 4-1 to the Flyers. Oof. I missed the game. They supposedly played better than the score but Brian Elliot was really good and the Flyers had a few shots deflect off legs/skates. Eberle had a fight? WTF?

Home/Home vs the Senators, then another crack at the Flyers. Caps took over 1st place. WC2 isn't far behind... Shit is tight in the Metro!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm 

Lots of reports of illness running through the Isles. Literally. Cizikas and Clutterbuck both left the game for periods and then returned. Martin has been out a few games sick. At least Trotz didn't throw them under the bus like Tortorella. What a dick that guy is.

Still games to play though. Hey, maybe it's time to call up Ho-Sang again, since they played really well with him in the lineup...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 am 

Lost another post. :lol:
Very strange game. 5-4 win (SO) vs Senators. Isles had a 4-1 lead. They appeared to go up 5-3, but the shot hit the crossbar. Isles announcer said it would be called a goal in Toronto, the score changed on the TV, but when play stopped the replay showed it hitting the crossbar all along. Whoops!
Then a play did to to Toronto for review. Tkachuk steamrolled Lehner, with a little help from Nelson, and the Sens tied the game on the play. Ref immediately signaled goal, but then the trail ref said it was goalie interference and the call was reversed. Then Toronto called to say they were playing NHL Uno, and reversed the reversal, calling it a good goal. Lehner left the game holding his head. Somehow, nobody pummeled Tkachuk, and Ross Johnston was in the game. He scored. I said it was a strange game.
End of the first- Barzal got called for a high stick. Start of 2nd- refs say the call was reversed, as the stick belonged to another Senator. They review penalties now?
Going to a SO against the 31st place team isn't good, especially when you had a 3 goal lead, but the Isles have the flu going through the room. Dal Colle played, but for some reason, Ho-Sang didn't play despite being healthy and called up on an emergency basis. Cizikas played, but was obviously still weak. Martin, Clutterbuck and Kuhnackl are the sick ones, although other players looked really sluggish.
Greiss did a nice job coming in and stopping everything he faced, including 2 SO attempts.

Sens on Thursday again. Hopefully Lehner is okay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:03 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:

Sens on Thursday again. Hopefully Lehner is okay.

Apparently he is injured and Gibson has been called up as an emergency. Mind you they say there is no further update on Lehner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 pm 

Honestly, if I ran an NHL team I would fine the living SHIT out of players who ran opponents into their own goaltender. I cannot believe how commonplace this is in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:14 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Honestly, if I ran an NHL team I would fine the living SHIT out of players who ran opponents into their own goaltender. I cannot believe how commonplace this is in the league.

Lehner has been bowled over a few times this year. I keep waiting for him to get up swinging his stick, but he's got his anger issues well under control. Now I just hope he's okay or it's a short term issue, not a concussion.
Tkachuk needs his ass kicked tonight.

And it's not like I played at a high level, but I always did all I could to knock opponents AWAY from my goalie. To me, that was kind of the point of playing D; to be between my goalie/goal and the opposing players. Maybe I under thought or oversimplified it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next