PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm 
OTP Clown

Congratulations Chris!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:20 pm 
OTP Historian

Lou sheds Snow Weight for the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The Weight of Snow is removed from the Isles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm too lazy/cheap to figure out how to post photos now that Photobucket went all $$$, but someone made a meme of a blue/orange truck plowing and it says "Lamoriello and Son- Snow removal service" or something like that. :haha:

Snow & Weight still with the org, but who knows wtf they'll do. Just read the assistants are all gone too. I'm kind of surprised Gomez was fired, considering he's been a friend of Lou's for like 20 years.

I'd say the day Mark Hunter is allowed to, he becomes the Isles new GM.

Lighthouse has an article about possible coaches. Hitchcock??? No thanks! Any of the Sutters- sure. Scott Stevens? As an assistant to fix the D, sure. Quenneville- he kind of still has a job, even if it's on rocky ground. Trotz- he may leave after a Cup, but then he'd basically be able to name his price and pick his team. Would he choose the Isles? Doubt it.

All I know is they need to get Thompson out of Bridgeport too. Nice guy, but the team has struggled and prospects/callups don't hit the NHL ready to play there. That's the real job of an AHL coach. When the Pens call someone up, they fit in and look like NHL veterans. Isles callups look slow and lost most of the time. The only guys who have benefited from Bridgeport are a few select guys who were sent down, like Beauvillier. Ho-Sang sure hasn't! Him or the coaches? No idea. But someone needs to straighten him out or ship him out before he's totally devalued. I don't care which one, as long as shit keeps getting done.

So glad Lou is dropping the axe. I believe this is actual footage of him coming into work- :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am 

Lou said after many meetings over the course of 2 weeks he determined the Isles needed a culture change and some different voices. He also determined that water is wet, unless in it's frozen form (although fairly easily melted), and it can add a kind of sticky, sweaty feel to air in its gaseous form. Yes, those are nerd jokes.

I've read in a few places that all assistant coaches are gone too, but that's all in comments, not actual articles. So maybe not. Although I can't see bringing in 2 new top voices and then leaving all the others in place.

Wonder who Hunter, errr, Lou, is going to pick as his new head coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 am 
Big in Japan

Does this make Tavares more or less inclined to stick around? I would've assumed more but a few talking heads have said this could mean Lams is really cleaning house and prepping for life without JT.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am 
OTP Clown

That makes sense that JT would be on his way out.

Lou has two in the first round and they look good for a rebuild

If JT is going, that kills a lot of plans that "Habsfans" have to send Max to the Island for one of their first rounders...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hard to say what #91 does now, but I'm guessing this upheaval doesn't happen if Tavares advocates for them. I'm not saying he's pulling an Eichel, but if he intimated to anyone in the organization that he was lukewarm about Garth and Weight and the direction the franchise was going, then that was probably enough for ownership to finally pull the trigger.

This is long overdue, but Garth still deserves credit for guiding the franchise through some of its darkest times.

Plusses:
Hoodwinked Peter Chiarelli not once, but TWICE, and got Mathew Barzal and Jordan Eberle out of the deal.

Took advantage of teams doing cap purges and got two top-pairing guys in Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk.

Players like Anders Lee, Barzal, Josh Bailey, Anthony Beauvillier, Calvin de Haan, Casey Cizikas, and the other Sebastian Aho are all solid wins for the Isles player development.

Managed to convince John Tavares to take below-market money for his first free agent contract, though I'm fairly certain he won't settle for that this time around.

The Mark Streit signing was actually a very good move, too bad the team just wasn't ready at that time.

Minuses:
Too many first-round whiffs (Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, though he parlayed two of them into the players listed above) in recent drafts.

Never hired the right coach.

Completely and utterly mishandled the Nino Niederreiter situation, then made it worse by overpaying Cal Clutterbuck.

Traded a first-rounder for Thomas Vanek, and that particular, ahem, gamble did not pay off. But in hindsight he at least may have dodged a bullet there (the GM who signed him shortly after that season concluded lost his job this offseason as well).

You'd think a former goalie would have done better shoring up the space between the pipes, but alas, he went through 2016-17 with an embarrassing three-goalie situation because he was too indecisive and afraid of losing J-F Berube on waivers (turns out he wasn't all that to begin with anyway) and then went into the following season with the same goalie that cleared waivers just a few months beforehand at the top of the depth chart. That, more than anything else, is probably why he's no longer a general manager.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:34 pm 

I've heard both theories. On one hand people think Lou knows JT isn't coming back, so he said fuck it, might as well wipe the entire slate clean and build around Barzal instead. Others think JT just wants to win and understands that the GM & coach he's friends with weren't getting the job done, so he should be fine with new people in those roles.

Personally, I think JT looked pissed off all last year. I think he'd be happy to hear the owners are committed to winning, and winning now. Snow had 12 years, 4 coaches, and many high draft picks, and produced one playoff round win, and many years of not making the playoffs. I think JT is friends with Snow, but knows he wasn't doing a good job recently.

I think the arena situation is bigger. The Isles are slated to play 12 games at the Coliseum next year, and 29 at Barclays. Everyone makes fun of the split home, but the players I've heard are excited to play at the Coliseum again. They hate Barclays' ice and the commute. JT lives 10 minutes from the Coliseum. He'll be happy about playing there. Are people concerned the players are going to leave their skates at the wrong arena or something? :lol: The split home will help most players, but will suck for the equipment guys. They are the ones who will feel like they're on the road for 53 games (plus hopefully playoffs).

I heard DiPietro this morning saying the GM & coach don't make a difference, same thing as Ferraro said. He thinks JT will test free agency but will stay, same as Stamkos did.

As for Isles trades, I have no idea. All I know is the Isles need D & a #1 goalie. Unless they load up even more on offense and just hope for 7-5 wins every game. :lol: But a new coach likely means all new assistants, which means Greg "my D system is a Tijuana donkey show" Cronin should be gone. I was hoping Lou would fire him first, as were all Isles fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Hard to say what #91 does now, but I'm guessing this upheaval doesn't happen if Tavares advocates for them. I'm not saying he's pulling an Eichel, but if he intimated to anyone in the organization that he was lukewarm about Garth and Weight and the direction the franchise was going, then that was probably enough for ownership to finally pull the trigger.

This is long overdue, but Garth still deserves credit for guiding the franchise through some of its darkest times.

Plusses:
Hoodwinked Peter Chiarelli not once, but TWICE, and got Mathew Barzal and Jordan Eberle out of the deal.

Took advantage of teams doing cap purges and got two top-pairing guys in Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk.

Players like Anders Lee, Barzal, Josh Bailey, Anthony Beauvillier, Calvin de Haan, Casey Cizikas, and the other Sebastian Aho are all solid wins for the Isles player development.

Managed to convince John Tavares to take below-market money for his first free agent contract, though I'm fairly certain he won't settle for that this time around.

The Mark Streit signing was actually a very good move, too bad the team just wasn't ready at that time.

Minuses:
Too many first-round whiffs (Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, though he parlayed two of them into the players listed above) in recent drafts.

Never hired the right coach.

Completely and utterly mishandled the Nino Niederreiter situation, then made it worse by overpaying Cal Clutterbuck.

Traded a first-rounder for Thomas Vanek, and that particular, ahem, gamble did not pay off. But in hindsight he at least may have dodged a bullet there (the GM who signed him shortly after that season concluded lost his job this offseason as well).

You'd think a former goalie would have done better shoring up the space between the pipes, but alas, he went through 2016-17 with an embarrassing three-goalie situation because he was too indecisive and afraid of losing J-F Berube on waivers (turns out he wasn't all that to begin with anyway) and then went into the following season with the same goalie that cleared waivers just a few months beforehand at the top of the depth chart. That, more than anything else, is probably why he's no longer a general manager.

He has also found some diamonds in the NHL scrap heap- Matt Moulson scored 30 3 times for the Isles. Grabner had 34 & 20, then had injury issues that couldn't have been foreseen. Thomas Hickey has even been a good waiver pickup too.

But I agree, the Berube fiasco was ridiculous. I get that they needed a third goalie due to Halak's injury issues, but keeping 3 miserable goalies wasn't good. I've said all along that I can't believe Snow didn't put a larger priority on his former position.

And the summer he put all his eggs in the Stamkos basket was when he lost me. He never even made calls to see what Okposo or Martin wanted, and only called Nielsen's agent after Stamkos had signed, which thoroughly pissed Nielsen off and he left. That summer was a huge step backwards, and they haven't recovered yet. I know Matt Martin is not a great hockey player, but he was a huge part of the Isles, and that 4th line was great when he was on it. None of those players have had that kind of success since he left.

Snow hasn't been entirely terrible, but he's had more than a fair shake, and they still haven't turned a corner, even if they looked to have a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm 
Big in Japan

On MTL sports radio this morning, Art Staple said they're probably going to try for Trotz and Kovalchuk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
On MTL sports radio this morning, Art Staple said they're probably going to try for Trotz and Kovalchuk.

Trotz I'd love to see. I don't know if the Caps let him walk away after he lifts the Cup though. And would he walk away after winning it all, to go to a team that "could" be a contender? I wouldn't.

Kovalchuk- mehhhh. I know the whole Lou connection.... But he's 35 and the Isles already have Ladd and Boychuk playing the old man role, prior to schedule. And scoring isn't a need for them. Unless they sign him and trade a forward or two for D.

Unless of course Tavares walks, but then I don't see Kovalchuk being as likely to sign with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm 
Big in Japan

I could see Trotz wanting to go to the highest bidder like Babcock. Isles just need to offer him the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I could see Trotz wanting to go to the highest bidder like Babcock. Isles just need to offer him the most.

It's possible, I guess. Malkin seems set on winning. Isles fans kept saying there was no way he'd splurge for Lou. I have no idea what they're paying him, but I'd imagine he's not cheap. And they're keeping Snow & Weight on payroll even though they're not doing their respective jobs. I wonder if Weight would take a demotion to the AHL, earn his way up. Thompson doesn't seem to be doing much with the Sound Tigers' player development.

Lots of coach names being thrown about though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 am 
Big in Japan

Steve Pellegrini named AGM. Considered a cap expert: spent 8 years as VP of the NHL's Central Registry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Steve Pellegrini named AGM. Considered a cap expert: spent 8 years as VP of the NHL's Central Registry.

Yep. Good news.

Still no announcement on Snow or Weight's new assignments.

Lots of people saying if they go with a rookie coach that it will be DJ Smith, and if it's a vet it's likely to be Trotz if he isn't re-signed by the Caps. I've read in a ton of places that the Caps have said he'll be back if he wants to be, and he's said he'd love to return... So it's unlikely the Isles will get him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm 
Big in Japan

DJ Smith coached Michael Dal Colle to an OHL championship...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm 

E.L. wrote:
DJ Smith coached Michael Dal Colle to an OHL championship...

So maybe he can figure out wtf is wrong with him and get him to play at an NHL level!

Isles will likely need some kids to step up big time.

Isles as of now, prior to UFA:

Lee - Tavares* - Bailey *I can hope, can't I???
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Bellows/Ho-Sang/Dal Colle. I think Bellows has probably leapt over the other 2 on the Isles depth chart.
Johnston/Prince/Quine-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Leddy-Boychuk
De Haan**- Pulock **Again, I hope. I also hope Lou brings in a better d-man than most of these guys via trade, maybe for Nelson.
Mayfield-Pelech/Toews

Greiss/Grubauer*** ***And again, I hope. Or someone better, who is relatively cheap. They're not bringing in an elite goalie, so they have to hope giving a backup a chance to shine will work.

Maybe Lou can make some magic happen with the picks he's got to trade.