OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Ex-Isle David Ullstrom signs a two-way deal in Glendale. http://arizonasports.com/story/1529105/ ... -contract/

I'm happy for him.

Lou Lamoriello to the Isles is still a hot rumor, with Friedman saying he can see it happening. That would be nice. Kick Snow upstairs, to the curb, hot dog sales... Wherever.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Darren Dreger was doing the Canadian sports talk radio rounds today and put JT re-signing at 50/50 post-Lou Lams. He also has the Preds, Blues, Sharks, Knights in the running.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:06 am 
Tattoo of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Darren Dreger was doing the Canadian sports talk radio rounds today and put JT re-signing at 50/50 post-Lou Lams. He also has the Preds, Blues, Sharks, Knights in the running.

I'm becoming more confident that he'll re-sign. I can't see Lou meeting with him, and then taking the job if he knew or felt JT was leaving.
Apparently some other GMs are really pissed that he was allowed to meet with JT before he officially worked for the Isles.

And with the Bolts losing, they can't entice JT with their Cup rings.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Heard Kulemin went to the KHL. Bummed to see him go, but glad to see his cap hit come off the books.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:43 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Rumors abound that Lou has spoken to JT and/or his agent "almost daily" since being named Pres. What can they talk about daily?

Day 1.
Lou- John, are you ready to sign? 8 years, $88 million!
JT- Not yet. I'm going to explore my options Lou.

Day 2.
Lou- John, are you ready to sign?
JT- Dude, I told you yesterday, I'm going to explore options. Please don't ask again until July 1st.

Day 3
Lou- John, are you r...
JT- Dude, seriously. I said don't ask again until July.
Lou- Okay.

Day 4
JT- Seriously? I said don't as...
Lou- I'm not going to ask if you'll sign. I just wanna, you know, see now you're doing.
JT- what? Weird. Talk to you in July.

Day 5
Lou- Do you have a pen I can borrow?
JT- July.

Day 6
Lou- John, can I get your autograph? I need it on a few things. Some pucks, a couple of sticks, a pile of papers....
JT- Nice try. July 1st.
Lou- I'm working on getting a goalie. And D. And Snow is washing my car right now. Good thing he's tall. He can reach the top. Fucker's good for something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Lots of rumors that JT has booked a trip to Vancouver during the UFA courting period.

Rumors abound that Lou is trying to get Grubauer from the Caps, and that he is likely to do a shitload of trading at the draft. He's said he will do whatever is necessary to make the Isles a winning team. Some think that means he'll go like 8 years, $12 million for JT, others think he's moving on from JT and is looking for trades and draft picks... I still think JT will seek offers and go back to the Isles with all of them, and give them the ability to match. He has said all along he wants to stay with them for his whole career, and the Belmont arena should help since he won't be playing on the Slushies rink for the next 8 years. 3 split seasons and then a new joint to break in and make the unofficial JT Arena.

The Isles have lots of cap space as of now- more than any other team according to Cap Friendly. $28 million and change (with last year's cap of $75 million), with 13 rostered players and 29 contracts. Lou's son is the Isles assistant GM & the Sound Tigers GM. Should be some good synergy there, right?

Subban trade rumors. Don't see the Isles fitting $9 million into that $28 along with JT, but man that would be great. He's an old friend of JT's... The cap should be going up 3-7 million too.

I see Grubauer getting like $3 million. Greiss already gets $3.3 million.
JT should get like $11 million.
Nelson (if not traded) gets $3 million.
Ross Johnston gets $1 million, and probably goes to Bridgeport anyway.
Quine or Prince get $1 million.
De Haan gets like $4.3 million.
Hickey gets like $2.5 million.
Pulock gets like $1.2 million.

That leaves 4-7 million for more outside additions, unless Lou manages to move bad contracts like Ladd's, Clutterbuck's, etc. Ladd has a NTC, as does Boychuk. But Boychuk's numbers are surprisingly good. When he & De Haan were hurt was the Isles big drop off. When healthy, they helped a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Just read Dreger saying Lou is still in "almost daily" contact with Camp Tavares.

Day 13.
Lou- John! Question for you. Do you think my combover looks better started on the right or left?
JT- JULY LOU!

Day 14.
Lou- Johnny boy! Did you see the guys outside your house last night?
JT- No. What? Who is...
Lou- Exactly John. You didn't see them. But they saw you. Don't even think about going to Vancouver John. Capice?
JT- Uhh. Okaaaaay- wait a minute. Did you just threaten me?
Lou- What size shoes do you wear John?

Day 15.
Lou- John. The local police have found $88 million dollars. They say it's yours and you just need to sign a form. I've got the form. Get over here quick!
JT- Come on Lou. Garth tried that one already. You're better than that. I'm not a methhead.
Lou- No. One of those fuckers would have signed a long fucking time ago. You're a tough nut Johnny. But they don't call me the Nutcracker for nothing!
JT- Who calls you the nutcracker?
Lou- Guys who can cross their legs now. Sign the fucking paper John.

But seriously, the fact that Camp Tavares is talking to them at this point is highly encouraging. To me it sounds like JT will re-sign, but is testing the waters and doing his PA due diligence. I also heard he's basically waiting to see what the cap will be, so he doesn't either short change himself or handcuff the team from signing others (Snow already did a good enough job of that with the deals given to Ladd, Cizikas & Clutterbuck).

Still waiting impatiently to see what happens, but I have even a little more faith today. Lou is doing well by the Isles already. Positive changes. Out with the old guys who weren't improving the team. In with guys who may or may not improve them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 am 

I really want him to sign there, and not just for your sake as an Isles fan. I just don't want to see the madness that'll ensue come July 1st, especially amongst Avs fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I really want him to sign there, and not just for your sake as an Isles fan. I just don't want to see the madness that'll ensue come July 1st, especially amongst Avs fans.

Thanks. For my sake, I hope he re-signs. :lol:
He's a real bright spot for long-suffering fans. I can still see him scoring vs Luongo to win the series 2 years ago. He and Barzal are a great 1-2. If Lou can fix the D & goalie situations, they've got a chance at some success. A chance. Which is more than they have without him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm 

No Grubauer, so Lou is reportedly in talks with the Sens about Craig Anderson. Not a great choice given the numbers he put up last season and the fact that he's 37 with some term left in his deal.

Also some talk surrounding Carter Hutton. Really good backup but don't think he's a viable option as a starter.

One other name that hasn't come up but one the Isles should look at: Harri Sateri.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:07 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
No Grubauer, so Lou is reportedly in talks with the Sens about Craig Anderson. Not a great choice given the numbers he put up last season and the fact that he's 37 with some term left in his deal.

Also some talk surrounding Carter Hutton. Really good backup but don't think he's a viable option as a starter.

One other name that hasn't come up but one the Isles should look at: Harri Sateri.
Give Hutton a shot. He's cap friendly and at least in the realm of being the right age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:19 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Give Hutton a shot. He's cap friendly and at least in the realm of being the right age.[/quote]

I think a tandem of him and Greiss would be an improvement but not by much. Now, if Lou were to get a young starter like, say, Sparks, then Hutton would be a perfect 1B behind him.

There's also been talk of Talbot being up for grabs but I don't see even Chiarelli being stupid enough to deal him without having a starter in place.