OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barzal wood thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am 
OTP Historian

Dude should have his own highlight reel thread. That backhand goal last night was fantastic. Same with the play to set up Eberle. Barzal looks like the kind of player who could play with anyone, like Marty St. Louis seemed to click with anyone in Tampa.

https://www.nhl.com/video/t-291044196/c-55414903

People talk about how some guys, Crosby specifically, has a great backhander. This goal, man...he purposely uses the backhand shot to get a good shooting angle while cutting in and puts it far side blocker. Plus it looks like he cuts to make tendy think he's going to cut back around the net. And the puck looks pretty far out from his body on the backhand. That's unreal.

Post subject: Re: Barzal wood thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 pm 
Old Man of the Post

That's a nice goal...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

26 points in 27 games, behind only the first line (Tavares, Bailey and Lee). And he's woken up his linemates, Ladd and Eberle. The kid is good. He's making a lot of other Isles look bad. And opposing defenders. His ability to make intricate moves at top speed is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
26 points in 27 games, behind only the first line (Tavares, Bailey and Lee). And he's woken up his linemates, Ladd and Eberle. The kid is good. He's making a lot of other Isles look bad. And opposing defenders. His ability to make intricate moves at top speed is incredible.

I saw this guy when I was watching the B's game the other day.....and I was like Damn who the hell is that!? Guy was making difficult maneuvers at break neck speed and he had scoring sense. The Bruins are still moderately slow but this guy was making people on his own team look ponderous.

Definitely one to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I saw this guy when I was watching the B's game the other day.....and I was like Damn who the hell is that!? Guy was making difficult maneuvers at break neck speed and he had scoring sense. The Bruins are still moderately slow but this guy was making people on his own team look ponderous.

Definitely one to watch.

He was actually one of the guys everyone was expecting Boston to take when they had the 3 consecutive 1st round picks in 2015.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Definitely one to watch.

He was actually one of the guys everyone was expecting Boston to take when they had the 3 consecutive 1st round picks in 2015.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

Seeing it now makes you think that one got away but. Bruins had a lot of depth at Center and it makes sense seeing the pick list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Seeing it now makes you think that one got away but. Bruins had a lot of depth at Center and it makes sense seeing the pick list.

Which is why you always, always, always draft the best player available. Doesn't matter if you have 18 great centers, take care of the excess afterwards via trade. The story as I know it is that least one of the guys the B's took was so far off the board a lot of TV people had to go look him up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Which is why you always, always, always draft the best player available. Doesn't matter if you have 18 great centers, take care of the excess afterwards via trade.

Yep. Plus, some guys can move to wing and be better. Other guys get hurt or just don't pan out.

Lighthousehockey has an article on Barzal today- https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2017/12/12/16677132/islanders-mathew-barzal-rookie-amazing-highlights-video-game-player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
King of Men

I believe that questionable pick was Zach Senyshyn. As a matter of fact I think that pick came from the Flames for Dougie......so I guess that makes it even more questionable.

It was Don Sweeney's first draft that year so perhaps in hindsight he has also learned to take the best player available going forward.

On that note Zboril has yet to see the big dance while Konecny has played 100 games....... :roll: Its a crap shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I believe that questionable pick was Zach Senyshyn. As a matter of fact I think that pick came from the Flames for Dougie......so I guess that makes it even more questionable.

It was Don Sweeney's first draft that year so perhaps in hindsight he has also learned to take the best player available going forward.

On that note Zboril has yet to see the big dance while Konecny has played 100 games....... :roll: Its a crap shoot.

See, that's still a common saying but I don't think it's true anymore. As someone else said on these boards a while back, training methods, nutrition, scouting, technology, and analytics have honed it into a science.

Do guys in the first round, even highly-touted kids, go bust? Sure. Of course they do. But can you remember the last 1st-overall pick that went full bust before Yakupov in 2012? You really have to go allllll the way back to 1999 when Patrik Stefan got picked before the Sedins. Not every pick turned into a superstar but they all become good NHLers.

And there can be weak/strong draft classes. 2012 is looking pretty bad overall right now.

I just don't think those were great picks. The Bruins continue to look for the wrong things when they draft/develop/acquire/discard talent. Buffalo did something similar in recent years and you can see where it led them.

Anyhow, sorry to derail. :lol: Barzal rules. :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm 
King of Men

hmm not sure how fair that science is outside of the top ten.

I suppose even at the time the Debrusk pick was odd. The Senyshyn pick....I think they felt they knew something that nobody else did and they lacked organizational depth at RW. I don't recall that draft being very highly touted outside of the top ten and McDavid so when you reach a certain point you have to roll the dice.

The Bruins system isn't poorly run and while they have certainly made questionable moves they have done a decent job over the years stocking the cupboards for the inevitable (I would assume following the Detroit model). This has allowed the kids to step in and the team to remain competitive with its older stars.

Now, after watching Barzal twice now.....that's a missed opportunity....but...again the Bruins are/were flush at C depth and they picked to their weakness. Right or wrong that's how some organizations build their teams and its a proven model.

I can just imagine the Broncos picking the best CB on the board next year and then trying to explain that to everyone! :steamingpileofcrap:

I look forward to watching this guy's career. It looks bright!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 am 
OTP Historian

5 points against the Rags and then 3 more tonight! Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 am 

Bosc wrote:

47 in 45 games. :D To say he's got confidence right now is an understatement. He's woken up Beauvillier and Eberle as well. With Ladd moved to IR, that's a great thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

To say he's got confidence right now is an understatement.

Yeah it's funny because earlier in the season they were saying that the coaching staff was telling him to shoot more instead of passing.

Pacioretty was saying that he's the best skater in the league, not necessarily the fastest. He's amazing to watch carry the puck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am 

What a fun player to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs fans cursing the name Barzal this morning. He and Tavares ran wild on them last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Bourne had a great piece about how Barzal generates a lot of offence because he's able to jet out of his own zone as soon as he gets a touch on the puck. Pacioretty mentioned how even in the o-zone you have to be careful because if you lose the puck and Barzal is on the ice you had better be ready to skate.

Bourne mentioned that the Isles could do something like the Leafs tried with Kessel and stick him out a lot on defensive draws because even if he's not the greatest faceoff artist, his ability to get the puck out and generate offense from it is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm 

There's a great chart in the comments of this thread- https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2018/1/16/16896880/islanders-gameday-news-back-to-back-devils-john-tavares-canadiens-ot-goal-beauvillier#comments

Word search "chart" and it'll likely go right to it. Shows Barzal to be among the top centers in the league, in several categories.

Hoping for more points tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:32 pm 

Barzal cut his hair. I'm hoping this doesn't impact his game. :lol: