OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Quote:
https://www.nhl.com/islanders/schedule/2017-10-01/ET

A three day break in Oct.
A four day break in Nov.
Nine games in 15 days in Dec. A three day break around Christmas.
Five games in eight days Dec-Jan, then a five day break. Weird.
A three day break toward the end of Feb.
A three day break mid-March, then a ton of games to finish out the season; 13 games in 19 days.

Looks like a pretty good schedule overall. None of the weird 9 day breaks like they had last year and the year before.

Post subject: Re: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am 

Isles at Blue Jackets tonight. Healthy scratches- Pelech, Pulock (both D) & Ho-Sang. Thoughts are that Seidenberg provided wily veteran presence over the two youngsters, Mayfield provides more toughness vs the physical Blue Jackets, and I guess Weight is trying to let Ho-Sang know that nothing is given. Perhaps he's also just giving another nod to veteran presence by having Chimera play. Most fans guessed the 3 scratches would be Chimera, Mayfield and Seidenberg. Actually, that's what most fans hoped for. I don't know what they expected. I think most Isles fans forget that Chimera put up 20 goals last year and dislike him because he's old. Well if he's still scoring, who cares how old he is? Sure Ho-Sang is more dynamic overall, but it's a long season & 3 skaters have to be scratched every night now that they aren't carrying 3 goalies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm 

1-1-1 after 3 games. Didn't show up vs the Blue Jackets, scored AND allowed 2 SH goals vs the Sabres en route to a 6-3 win, then came back from being down 2-0 with 6:00 to go and force a SO, but didn't score in the SO and lost to the Blues.

Not terrible. Not great. Still don't have a PP goal after 3 games. But they have 2 SH. WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am 
King of the One-Liner

Ho-Sang holding the puck too much? Thought that was out of his system if so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Ho-Sang holding the puck too much? Thought that was out of his system if so.

No, he's been pretty good, although he doesn't seem anywhere near as confident as he did in pre-season. He's drawn a few penalties with his speed. They just aren't getting pucks on net enough in general, and certainly not on the PP. Still the same bullshit of drop passes in the neutral zone, so the forwards wind up standing on the blue line waiting for the D or center to bring it in, and then the others have no speed, so they enter, and again, drop pass... It's so predictable it's ridiculous, and it moves slowly, with no creativity. I was hoping Gomez would kill that shit immediately. Nope. New year, same bullshit.

And they aren't using Pulock & his bomb of a shot on the PP. Guy shoots 106 MPH and you don't put him on the PP??? He scares the crap out of defenders, especially on the PP when he has time. When they used him on it vs Florida in the playoffs 2 years ago it totally changed Florida's PK system. Why the hell wouldn't you use him on it, especially when the current system isn't working now and didn't work last year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Do the Isles really have a dynamic puckmover on the blue line? I know Boychuk, Leddy, and De Haan are all very capable offensively but I wonder if they need some more speed on the back end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Do the Isles really have a dynamic puckmover on the blue line? I know Boychuk, Leddy, and De Haan are all very capable offensively but I wonder if they need some more speed on the back end.

If it weren't for Leddy's speed he'd be well below average. His speed is probably top 10 in the NHL. On a big market, playoff team, he'd get Norris attention.
De Haan has been a fucking turnover machine through three games. I turned off the game vs Columbus due to him giving it away twice, resulting in goals against. Game vs the Blues was the same. Perfect non-outlet pass right onto Terasenko's stick. Last guy you want to give it to in your own end. Boychuk is a jack of all trades D-man. Very good shot, but he's not that good of a passer. Pulock's shot makes him scared, and he uses it to create space. He fakes a shot and all defenders tense up, then he makes pass while he's got the time. He's not an amazing passer in his own right, but when he uses that fake slapper, it works wonders to create time. Boychuk should take note, instead of still trying to shoot through people's shins like a peewee. :lol: Devon Toews is in the AHL for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes one of the current D expendable very soon. He's shown great things. He's fast, has great vision, creativity, and good first passes. That's one of the things the Isles D hasn't had- good first passes. Too often their outlet attempts are in someone's skates or miss them entirely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

I like Leddy's game. He's dynamic and unheralded. I agree that if he was on another team he'd get Norris consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

3-2 loss to the Ducks. Now 0-15 on the PP for the season. Fucking really? I thought the PP would be "new and improved" with all the new coaches coming in. Silly me. It's still the momentum killing drop passes through the neutral zone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm 

6 games in. The 2-3-1 record isn't horrible, but the fact that the PP hasn't scored yet is disturbing. And they've allowed 3 SH goals, including the eventual game winner to LA last night. Fucking come on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/10/16/taylo ... dan-eberle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/10/16/taylor-hall-twitter-burn-jordan-eberle

I don't find it very funny. :x

Isles vs Rangers tomorrow. I'll be this is when the Rangers start a hot streak, because that would be very Islanders.

Pulock supposedly in the lineup, and on the 1st PP line. :rock: About fucking time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 pm 

Isles blow a 3-1 lead vs the Rangers but win it in the Bettman show. Finally got a PP goal! Although they missed on a PP opportunity in OT, albeit a shortened one.
Barzal with his first NHL goal.

I missed the game due to kid's practice. Heard some of the OT & SO on the way home (due to static :roll: ). Rangers radio guy Dave Maloney said the Isles should have shot about 6 times they passed on the PP in OT. Oh well. 2 points are 2 points, except when they're really like 1.875 due to getting them in the Bettman Show (yes I like that phrase).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like Pulock is tentative with that big cannon of his.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 am 

E.L. wrote:
Sounds like Pulock is tentative with that big cannon of his.

I didn't see the game, but lots of fans are saying he & Ho-Sang were pretty much benched in the third period. No idea why, other than Ho-Sang making great moves to get himself in a good shooting position, and then passing it. He & Bailey on a line is brutal. It's like they're playing hot potato. Nobody wants to shoot the puck, but keep passing it to other guys to shoot. Put the thing on net.
Pulock was always shooting when he first came up. He got blocked a lot, and started to get smarter with his shots. He started faking a lot on Bridgeport to get defenders to freeze up, then he'd make a play. He did that brilliantly 2 years ago in the last game of the year; faked to freeze, then gave a half slapper to Martin for the redirection. Not sure how he was last night, other than to see Isles fans screaming that he assisted on the first PP goal of the year, and then was benched.
Isles dressed 7 D & 11 forwards last night. Weird. And Pulock was apparently in the Ovi-circle on the PP. That makes some sense. Follow the Caps lead on the PP. Should help more than just passing around the perimeter all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:01 pm 

Isles beat the Sharks 5-3. Couture with a hat trick for the Sharks. One shot went off like 87 skates.
Isles still rotating Greiss & Halak, even though they had like 3 days off between games. Pick a starter already. Neither guy is going to get into a rhythm like this.

Lee with 2 goals, Bailey with a beautiful unassisted goal off a steal, Ladd scored, and Tavares with an empty netter from his own zone. Third of the year for Tavares, so he'll take it at this point. He also had 2 assists. 4-3-1 record after 10% of the season, in a wild card spot (because Detroit & Washington have played 9 games).

Coyotes up next. I'll miss that game too due to kids' practices. I have seen one game- the awful opener vs Clumbus. I swear the person who schedules my kids' practices does it so I can't see the Isles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am 

Isles beat the Coyotes 5-3. Tavares with a hat trick plus assist. Adam Pelech with 3 assists, Eberle with 2. Tavares basically tells people to stfu with the talk that he's not playing hard this year because he wants to be traded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Isles beat the Coyotes 5-3. Tavares with a hat trick plus assist. Adam Pelech with 3 assists, Eberle with 2. Tavares basically tells people to stfu with the talk that he's not playing hard this year because he wants to be traded.

Justin Bourne was singing his praises on twitter about his competitiveness and work ethic. Tavares does not strike me as a guy who's not going to play hard just because he wants to be traded. He's always been extremely driven.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Tavares is playing for a new deal. Yes, he's probably going to get paid no matter what, but he put up 70 points two years ago and 66 last year. If he drops below 65, a few teams will wonder if he's still elite. He'll be 28 when his new deal for whoever kicks in. He's got one chance to make franchise player 9-11M money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:55 pm 
OTPoliceman

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Justin Bourne was singing his praises on twitter about his competitiveness and work ethic. Tavares does not strike me as a guy who's not going to play hard just because he wants to be traded. He's always been extremely driven.

One of the things Matt Barzal said after he attended his first training camp with the Isles was he realized how hard he had to work to make it in the NHL after watching Tavares in camp. When I heard that I then knew Barzal might make it in the NHL after all. It shows Tavares' leadership as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next