OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, the good news was that NEITHER goalies was particularly good last night. :lol: :suprisedtoangry:

Isles lost in regulation. No good news there. Personal stats mean bugger all.

Isles at Panthers tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm 

Isles pull one out vs the Panthers. Apparently Pulock hurt Luongo's foot with a slap shot. Tavares fell during his shootout attempt, yet managed to keep control of the puck, get up and get a shot off. Sure he didn't score, but that's impressive. And funny.
Barzal with the only shootout goal. Halak stopped the one shootout attempt he faced. the other two went wide. :lol:

Lightning tonight. On the 2nd of a back-to-back. That will be fugly. So of course, it's the one game this month that I'll be home to see. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I cannot believe that game went to a shootout. The goaltending in that contest was atrocious, especially Reimer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I cannot believe that game went to a shootout. The goaltending in that contest was atrocious, especially Reimer.

I turned it on halfway through OT (just got home). He made a hell of a save on Barzal in OT. Halak looked the most animated I've ever seen him when he stopped the last SO attempt. I assumed he wasn't good because of that. But he made like 39 saves, or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 am 

I figured playing the Lightning on the 2nd night of back-to-backs was a scheduled loss but 6-2, oof. And Greiss wasn't that bad. I think 5 Lightning goals were rebounds. The Isles D was awful. They really need to try to find a good defensive d-man. They've got enough prospects to send in return.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 pm 

Interesting game vs Penguins. Isles down 3-1 with 5 minutes to go. Barzal scores (basically taking it off of Mayfield's stick like "no dude, I've got this") and Nelson puts in a rebound.

OT - Barzal flies into the zone and gets tangled up, goes into the Pens' net, knocking it WAY off. Play goes the other way and continues. ??? Barzal goes flying to backcheck since it was a 3 on 2, and winds up half-diving to block a pass, running his helmet into Tavares' chin. Tavares looked pretty pissed, but okay. If Barzal hadn't collided with Tavares, Tavares may well have had a breakaway- toward a net that was still off. I guess the reason for not blowing it dead is because you could otherwise knock it off if the other team goes on an odd man rush, but that clearly wasn't the case. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 am 

Nice 3-1 win over the Caps. Lee with a goal disallowed due to interference (he pushed Holtby off the post and into the net with his stick).
Caps lone goal was a 2 on 1 in which Seidenberg played the shooter instead of the pass, leading to a perfect pass & 1-timer. Still, the Isles chased Holtby after 3 goals and won in regulation. Good stuff. Halak looks to be playing well again. He had no chance on the goal allowed.

isles goals (that counted) from Tavares, Ladd and Nelson (who has remembered how to shoot).

Ho-Sang shaved off all remnants of a beard. He looks 12.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 pm 

Stars tonight. Halak in net again. He's climbing up; now has a .909 save %. League avg is .912.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Stars tonight. Halak in net again. He's climbing up; now has a .909 save %. League avg is .912.

So much for Halak doing better. 16 saves on 20 shots, aka .800. :shock: Greiss saved 6/7.

Clumbus tonight. Both teams coming off a whooping in their last outing, but the Jackets have had an extra day to prep and rest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 am 

Clumbus wins 6-4 (en). Greiss saved 29 of 34 shots, for a whopping 0.853 save %. The Isles are in deep shit if their goalies can't remember how to stop pucks. Weight keeps saying they're working through some things. Is Brathwaite changing that much?

Josh Bailey with a hat trick. Barzal -3 with 0 points. The world is upside down today.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 pm 

Ho-Sang sent back down to Bridgeport. Again. He's got great skills, but has become predictable, and with how small he is, that spells suicide for him. He's been kind of slow lately, and appears to be overthinking. So he'll get lots of ice time in Bridgeport (I assume). Thomas Hickey is not off the IR yet, and Shane Prince isn't done with his conditioning stint in Bridgeport yet, so it's not a roster size thing. Unless they're just planning ahead, since Bridgeport has 3 games this weekend and they wanted Ho-Sang to get at least 2 in...
EDIT- Ho-Sang played for Bridgeport tonight. He had 1 assist and was a -2 in a 5-4 loss. Not exactly what they're looking for from him.

And the big move the Isles made- was to call up Steve Bernier. So there's that...

Isles play the Kings on Saturday. Hopefully the Rangers tired the Kings out tonight. Quick played tonight vs the Rangers. Normally facing a team's backup is a good thing but Kuemper is 5-0-2, with a frigging 0.941 save %. I don't think an Isles goalie has had a save % like that in, well, forever. Yeah, small sample size, but that's a hell of a backup so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 am 

Isles beat the Kings in OT, with Barzal making a perfect pass to Eberle for the winner. I love that kid.

Isles beat writer Art Staple says there could be a decision on development winner for Belmont as early as Jan 1st. That could bode very well for the Isles (assuming they're the winner), as it is supposedly a huge stumbling block for Tavares re-signing. If they win the bid, he likely signs soon afterwards. If they lose it, I have no idea what could happen. He may ask to be traded. He may ask for more pay to stick it out at Barclays. He's having a hell of a year so far, so it can't really be said that he's doing poorly on Barclays ice. Just checked- 14 home games, 19 away games so far. 10-2-2 at home, 8-10-1 on the road.
So the next few weeks are a huge part of Isles history! Potential for a new arena and re-signing their captain, or being stuck at Barclays with its obstructed view seats and having to trade their captain from a point of weakness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 am 

De Haan to IR with what could be a season ending shoulder injury. He slid to block a shot in OT vs the Kings and could barely get up and get to the bench as Barzal passed to Eberle for the winner. Hickey was "removed" from IR, and is close to returning. Several Isles blogs note that Hickey wasn't "activated" but removed. I guess he's close, but not ready to return. De Haan has a history of shoulder injuries, so this is not good.

In other news, the Belmont decision is supposedly going to be released on Wednesday! Most people seem to feel the Isles have won, but then, I'm reading a hell of a lot more Isles blogs than NYC FC blogs. :lol:

Red Wings tonight and Ducks on Thursday. I'll miss both games. I swear the person who sets my kids' practice schedules sets it by the Isles schedule to ensure I'll only see like 4 games/season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 am 

Thankfully I missed the game vs the Red Wings. 6-3 loss for the Isles (empty netter). YabbaDabbaDooker was fined $5k for a spear on Mayfield before 8 AM today! Isles fans are yelling their heads off that it should have been a 5 minute major, which could have really impacted the game. Yeah, the Isles would probably give up 2 SH goals on a 5 minute major. Greiss allowed 5 goals n 21 shots???? WTF is Brathwaite doing with the goalies? Teaching them how great life is after retirement? I know all goalies slump here & there, but when both are awful for most of the season, there's a problem. If either of them could climb the huge hill to league average, the Isles would be kicking ass instead of treading water for WC2. And it's not like the goalie market is flooded, or they have a great option in the minors. Fuck a goat. They need to settle this shit, and fast.

Ducks on Thursday.
Belmont announcement today. Tavares said Belmont is great for the org, fans, and players, but mostly fans, and it brings the team back where they belong. However he also said Belmont makes no change to his situation. That's either really good or really bad. You can never tell with Captain Monotone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Ho-Sang sent back down to Bridgeport. Again. He's got great skills, but has become predictable, and with how small he is, that spells suicide for him. He's been kind of slow lately, and appears to be overthinking. So he'll get lots of ice time in Bridgeport (I assume). Thomas Hickey is not off the IR yet, and Shane Prince isn't done with his conditioning stint in Bridgeport yet, so it's not a roster size thing. Unless they're just planning ahead, since Bridgeport has 3 games this weekend and they wanted Ho-Sang to get at least 2 in...
EDIT- Ho-Sang played for Bridgeport tonight. He had 1 assist and was a -2 in a 5-4 loss. Not exactly what they're looking for from him.

And the big move the Isles made- was to call up Steve Bernier. So there's that...

Isles play the Kings on Saturday. Hopefully the Rangers tired the Kings out tonight. Quick played tonight vs the Rangers. Normally facing a team's backup is a good thing but Kuemper is 5-0-2, with a frigging 0.941 save %. I don't think an Isles goalie has had a save % like that in, well, forever. Yeah, small sample size, but that's a hell of a backup so far.

I read Ho-Sang has actually outscored Dal Colle in Bridgeport this year. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:34 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

I read Ho-Sang has actually outscored Dal Colle in Bridgeport this year. Yikes.

Dal Colle- 26 GP, 3G, 9A. 0.46 pt/gp.
Ho-Sang- 8 GP, 2G, 6A. 1.0 pt/gp.

Dal Colle is looking more and more like a bust, or at least for the position he was taken in. The few games I've seen he has looked mildly interested. If he gets a scoring chance he wakes up, but he's not going to create chances and looked like he was allergic to playing the D side of the puck. That got him drafted high, but now all that means is more pressure on him to succeed, which he isn't meeting. Don't know if they just let these kids play it out, or if they pull them aside and point out that they need to prove something, not just coast along. I'd imagine the latter, but if so, he hasn't listened. Everyone who watches the STs says the same thing about him. That's not a good thing for him. Or the Isles org. So much for drafting character.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 am 

Barzal scores in OT to win vs Buffalo. Chimera actually scored! Rebound goal, but well done gramps. Bailey also scored to tie it late in the game, but play continued for 35 seconds. Buffalo's goalie stopped the shot, but his glove was clearly in the net when he did. Well done Toronto!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:05 am 

De Haan headed for shoulder surgery. That's not good. He's a UFA this year. He makes $3.3 million this year.
Boychuk out with an LBI. He's week to week.

Isles have called up Sebastian Aho (theirs, not the Hurricanes' version), who has been playing very well in Bridgeport. 9G and 11A in 29 games. He's tiny. 5'10", 176 lbs according to the AHL site. Still, a quick, puck moving D-man isn't the worst thing to have.

Jets tonight, in Winterpeg. F that. It's colder than a polar bear's ass here in NY. Can't imagine up there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 am 

4-2 loss to Winnepeg. Helleybuck was awesome. Halak was good, but let in his usual softy. Lee with both Isles goals (one deflecting off his leg on a JT shot). Lee is now tied for the league lead with Kucherov and Ovechkin at 24.

Isles needed a win though. They're holding onto WC2 by an ass hair.

Isles at the Avs on New Year's Eve.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Whoa, go 'Ders! With 24 goals and 15 assists, he's gotta be in contention for the league's Cy Young award.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next