OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm 
Big in Japan

Tavares got a huge applause from the Montreal crowd after being named second star. Suck ups! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Nice to see Beauvillier jump onto that second line so seamlessly. And it's also nice to see fewer people butchering his name.

Still, last night's game against the Habs highlighted why the Isles are such a frickin' frustrating team. They have two top lines that would be the envy of any team in the league, and, though banged-up to hell, a decent defensive corps. It's the goaltending that just ain't getting the job done, though I guess Greiss stopped a shit-ton of shots last night so that's probably not the best example. Still, if Snow's not burning up phone lines trying to get a viable replacement, he should be fired tomorrow.

To call them banged up is an understatement. Boychuck might be back later this week, but he certainly won't be faster than before he went down... De Haan is out for the year, and likely played his last game as an Islander. Hickey looks to be skating like he's in pain. Mayfield left the game last night. The D has been suspect at best, but they're mostly a bunch of kids. Leddy looks like he's under the most stress of his life. Picking up Franson might have been a really good idea.

E.L. wrote:
Tavares got a huge applause from the Montreal crowd after being named second star. Suck ups! :lol:

He said he wants to stay on LI before the game. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm 

Schneider sick. Kinkaid in net for the Devils, with an AHL callup to back him up.
Local kid (to me) Steve Santini Jr sent down to Albany. :( His father owns the rink I play at, and played at Maine with Snow & Dunham. He was a huge Ranger fan, until his son was drafted by the Devils. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 am 

4-1 loss to the Devils. Lee scored 1:39 into the game on a blocked shot turned breakaway. That was it. Kinkaid was pretty good but the Isles sucked.

Next.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:24 am 

From the Isles site-
Quote:
Johnny Boychuk, Casey Cizikas, Andrew Ladd and Nikolay Kulemin were all back on the ice today.

I had heard all along that Kulemin was done for the year. Good news all around! Although I wish more D were coming back. But Cizikas & Kulemin would really help the PK. And Bailey started skating yesterday as well. :yayyy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 am 

Bruins tonight. Bailey is a game-time decision as of now. Glad to hear he's that close to coming back, since Alan Quine has been dragging the top line down big time. No idea why they put Quine on that line. We all know he scored a huge double OT winner vs Florida a few years back, but that shouldn't get him carte blanche to continue sucking. With all the guys coming back from injury in the next few days I'd say Quine should be waived or traded for a low pick. Numbers game...

Lots of rumors say that Snow is under the gun to make something happen for the Isles. It's about time. The Eberle trade was a great start to the off-season, but it shouldn't have been the only move besides dumping Hamonic for picks. Time to shit or get off the bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bruins tonight. Bailey is a game-time decision as of now. Glad to hear he's that close to coming back, since Alan Quine has been dragging the top line down big time. No idea why they put Quine on that line. We all know he scored a huge double OT winner vs Florida a few years back, but that shouldn't get him carte blanche to continue sucking. With all the guys coming back from injury in the next few days I'd say Quine should be waived or traded for a low pick. Numbers game...

Lots of rumors say that Snow is under the gun to make something happen for the Isles. It's about time. The Eberle trade was a great start to the off-season, but it shouldn't have been the only move besides dumping Hamonic for picks. Time to shit or get off the bowl.

There was something funny on twitter about Quine yesterday. Apparently about the only thing he's good at is carrying the puck in for zone entries, and he's amazing at it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

There was something funny on twitter about Quine yesterday. Apparently about the only thing he's good at is carrying the puck in for zone entries, and he's amazing at it.

So he should bring it in, pass and get off the ice. :lol:

Apparently a lot of Isles fans have been tagging him in nasty insults on Twitter. I think that's stupid and rude. I guarantee the combined number of NHL games these people have played is zero, but they feel they have the right to be a dick to this guy and include him? Assholes. I say shit on here, 99.9% sure that nobody from any NHL team will ever know this site exists.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 am 

7-3 win over the Blackhawks, with the PP finally getting some goals. Pulock with 1G & 4A. He had 13 points going into the game. Beauvillier with 2G.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 am 

OT loss to the Coyotes. :roll: Beauvillier with 2 goals.

No idea how Domi only gets 2 for slashing Leddy, when he then proceeded to knock Beauvillier down with a tackle in a headlock... Should have been a double minor at least. Pretty sure his gloves were off by the end of it. Isles didn't do shit with the PP, but if they'd had 4 minutes they might have. Oh well. That's how it goes.

The highlight of this game was former Islander Mark Parrish doing some commentary, including "between the benches". After Hickey gave the puck away in their zone Halak made a great save. Parrish said "Hickey is going to have to buy Halak some tatas in Vegas for that one. Uh toddies!" :laugh:

Vegas Thursday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 am 

2-1 win in Vegas to head into the all star break. Still in 10th place, but they are 2 points out of 2nd in the Metro. So much for the old days of the playoff picture being set by Halloween.

Ross Johnston with his 1st NHL goal on a lucky pinball shot. He was cutting along the goal line and threw it in front. It hit a few skates and went in. He celebrated like he thought it was Clutterbuck's goal. :lol: Then he looked surprised on the bench.
Eberle with a nice wrist shot to put the Isles up 2-0 in the third. Halak with a great 39 save performance. He stole this one for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What's the frickin' word on Boychuk?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
What's the frickin' word on Boychuk?

Injured. :lol: Last I heard it was the dreaded LBI. And I don't mean Long Beach Island. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 am 

Isles could have jumped into a WC spot with a win last night, and came out pancake flat vs the Panthers. Horrible effort in a 4-1 loss (en). They finally started to really play with about 8 minutes to go. Here's an idea- try the "push" in the FIRST ten minutes of the game to get a lead, rather than the dying minutes of a game when it's too little/too late.

At the Leafs tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm 

Lemme ask you this--is it just me or is Halak really, really terrible with wraparound attempts. I could be completely wrong here but I swear on multiple occasions I've seen him play them poorly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Lemme ask you this--is it just me or is Halak really, really terrible with wraparound attempts. I could be completely wrong here but I swear on multiple occasions I've seen him play them poorly.

It's not you. It's him. If I was an opposing forward I would try it on him all the time. My totally non-professional opinion is that he always slides over with his leg pad out too far from the post, like he's sliding over to block a shot from the point. He's got to get the pad closer to the post. I get that you don't want to have the skate inside the net, or you can easily be pushed in, but he seems to have it out WAY too far and forwards stuff it in on him all the time, getting the puck behind the pad and underneath the skate. Or maybe he's doing that part correctly but is just slow getting over? I don't know. But you're right, he's got an obvious problem there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm 

The Leafs keep scratching Matt Martin. If Snow has any brains he'll make an offer for him. Matt Martin isn't exactly the greatest hockey player, but he's exactly what the Isles need. The Isles 4th line has never been the same since he left, and neither has the team in general. Letting him walk was a mistake and Snow needs to correct it. Martin is just about as good as any of the Isles bottom 6 forwards these days, and he hits, unlike anyone else on this team. Even Clutterbuck stopped hitting after Martin wasn't there to protect him. Get him back and watch this team turn around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:34 am 

Snow has made plenty of mistakes but the guys he’s let hit the free agent market have all proven not to be worth the money they signed for. One could argue he should’ve dealt them if he knew he wasn’t gonna sign him but that’s another argument for another day.

The reason Martin is getting shelved (along with Polak) is because they stink. Mirtle even had an article about how the Leafs couldn’t ice an even passable 4th line. And in the game I saw against the Avs that line (Martin-Gauthier-Marner) got completely annihilated, and that was in Toronto.

They don’t need him back. They need defensive depth and more than any other team they need a goddamn goaltender, and I have NO idea why Garth hasn’t even tried to get someone, anyone and I don’t buy that prices everywhere are too high. Even Arizona found someone who didn’t suck to fill in for Raanta.

Speaking of which, I’ve heard scouts from Tampa, Toronto, and NYI were all at the last Avs game and will probably be hanging around for a while. Rumor has it a bidding war is starting for Tyson Jost but I hope that’s not true. An easier pickup would be Mark Barberio, who could at least keep the seat warm until guys like Boychuk get better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Apparently the scouts were out in crazy numbers at the Detroit game. Great performance from Mrazek.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

That was a sad effort last night all things considered. Playoff bubble fight and after disappointing game the night before you would expect a motivated team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next