OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017-18 schedule
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

4-1 loss to the Blue Jackets. 51 shots allowed. When the fuck are they going to figure out that their D is a complete joke? 51 fucking shots. Most goals allowed in the league. Most shots allowed. Shittiest D in the league. There's a title to go for! Hey, we score lots of goals, but who gives a fuck about that? We also pretty much just watch the other team do what they're gonna do once they break out of their zone. We'll let our injury prone goalie deal with 40-50 shots/game and see how long it takes him to pull something. Then we'll put in our totally lost backup who doesn't belong in the NHL at this point. Then we can really have some good excuses from our GM about why we're just out of a playoff spot. Solve problems? That's for other teams to do. We just make excuses and say they're "facts, not excuses". Maybe our GM forgot he's allowed to make trades. Why not move Ho-Sang for a d-man? He's toiling in the minors and supposedly not improving. Maybe that's because NOBODY seems to be improving in Bridgeport, almost as if the coaching staff there don't know how to develop players.

This team is infuriating.

Rangers Thursday. The Isles will probably win that one, just to stay close enough to a playoff spot to really piss fans off when they don't make it. By a single point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am 

Markstrom, Tanev, Vanek, Hutton for Pulock, Dal Colle, a 1st and 3rd round pick. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Markstrom, Tanev, Vanek, Hutton for Pulock, Dal Colle, a 1st and 3rd round pick. Problem solved.

I don't think you want Dal Colle. He's been pretty useless. 6G, 14A in 41 games in Bridgeport. 61 points in 119 AHL games. I hate to use the word bust, but he's looking nothing like what he was projected to be. Good shot, but can't skate and doesn't get open.

As for Snow, I've had it with him. 13 years. One playoff round win, and he's taken the team backwards since then. "Bye Felicia!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:33 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I don't think you want Dal Colle. He's been pretty useless. 6G, 14A in 41 games in Bridgeport. 61 points in 119 AHL games. I hate to use the word bust, but he's looking nothing like what he was projected to be. Good shot, but can't skate and doesn't get open.

As for Snow, I've had it with him. 13 years. One playoff round win, and he's taken the team backwards since then. "Bye Felicia!"

Actually .5 points a game is okay. If I recall correctly for his age it projects as a third line NHL player. Not a bust, just will never live up the to expectations of the high pick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Actually .5 points a game is okay. If I recall correctly for his age it projects as a third line NHL player. Not a bust, just will never live up the to expectations of the high pick.

I don't know. It just seems like such a let down. His skating is so bad. Tavares was considered to have bad skating when he was drafted. He's worked like hell to improve it. Dal Colle just doesn't seem to have worked on it. The lack of effort tells me he'll never amount to anything in the NHL, even a 3rd liner, because he'll never make the NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm 
Big in Japan

I think they saw Dal Colle as a future Tavares-lite, someone who sees the ice well and can create offence/make his linemates better. But he plateaued early in junior -- grew too quickly? -- and just seemed to coast his last year of junior onwards. Got the lazy tag and it's been downhill since. He didn't do anything to deserve a call up, but at a certain point they need to see if he has anything. Reminds me a bit like a Mueller/Brendl-type: got away with a lot in junior because they were bigger and more talented.

That being said, if they hadn't taken him they probably would've drafted Virtanen or Fleury, who are also developing really slowly.

2014 was definitely a draft where GMs showed their pro-North America colours a little too much. Ehlers, Nylander, Fiala and Pastrnak went lower than they should've.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I think they saw Dal Colle as a future Tavares-lite, someone who sees the ice well and can create offence/make his linemates better. But he plateaued early in junior -- grew too quickly? -- and just seemed to coast his last year of junior onwards. Got the lazy tag and it's been downhill since. He didn't do anything to deserve a call up, but at a certain point they need to see if he has anything. Reminds me a bit like a Mueller/Brendl-type: got away with a lot in junior because they were bigger and more talented.

That being said, if they hadn't taken him they probably would've drafted Virtanen or Fleury, who are also developing really slowly.

2014 was definitely a draft where GMs showed their pro-North America colours a little too much. Ehlers, Nylander, Fiala and Pastrnak went lower than they should've.

He's had 4 games with the Isles. No points. No PIMS. Nothing on a score sheet but some ice time and a -4. I'd still like to see him succeed. I just don't think he will.

Rangers on Thursday. A win might put them back into the mix, unless they follow it up with a typical Ranger-hangover loss Friday vs Carolina. If they can win those 2 games, I'll be interested again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 am 

Isles fans have a GoFundMe page for putting a billboard across from the Barclays Center saying Snow Must Go. In a few hours it was well over the required amount, so they doubled the goal, saying they'll leave it up until it happens. :lol:
https://www.gofundme.com/SnowMustGo

Ledecky will probably pay double to have it covered. Or at least, have the view obstructed. :rimshot:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am 

Doug Weight said the other day that the atmosphere at Barclays has been bad, seemed to realize that was insulting the fans, and then backtracked to say it's the players' fault it's been bad, since they should get the crowd into games with good play... Fans want his head on a platter with an apple shoved in his mouth. I can't speak for the guy, but I don't think he really meant to blame the fans (who had been booing loudly every time the opposing team shot, and chanting that Snow Must Go...).

Two inept NY teams going at it tonight in a battle to be close to the last WC spot... Yay for NY hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don’t blame him for hating the guy but Botta helping out the guy crowdfunding the SNOW MUST GO billboards is not a good look.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I don’t blame him for hating the guy but Botta helping out the guy crowdfunding the SNOW MUST GO billboards is not a good look.

Botta is childish, which is possibly what got him banned from the Coliseum to begin with. I'd love to hear the full story from one of them, if not both.

Isles fans are pointing out that Miro Satan still lives on Long Island and has been the GM of a few international teams. People are saying he could move right into the Isles GM job. I made a joke on LightHouseHockey that he's been working the phones since his playing days, but somehow can't find a photo, gif or video of his fake cell phone celebration. WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Alexei Yashin is doing Olympic commentary for CBC, maybe he's looking for work? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Alexei Yashin is doing Olympic commentary for CBC, maybe he's looking for work? :lol:

One thing the Isles do NOT need, is the return of the turtle-necked one. DiPietro calls Yashin out on his radio show all the time, saying he was the worst Captain ever because you never knew if Yashin was going to show up or not.

But of course, the Isles continue to have a side-show more interesting than the on-ice product. Tonight the Rangers come to Barclays, and fans of both teams may actually get along, commiserating over how bad their teams and coaches are. That my friends, is a sign of the end of days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm 
Big in Japan

And the Devils are coming back to Earth, meaning all three New York Metro area teams could miss the playoffs. Sure the league is loving that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am 

E.L. wrote:
And the Devils are coming back to Earth, meaning all three New York Metro area teams could miss the playoffs. Sure the league is loving that.

Schneider is out, isn't he? I think any team would drop without their #1 goalie.
I don't know. I always hear people saying the league wants major market teams in the playoffs. Personally, I find it so much more interesting when small market teams do well. I expect large market teams to do well. The Cap should have leveled that, but people still talk about large markets being better for the league. Does nobody think Vegas is going to generate a shitload of interest in the playoffs? If my team isn't going deep in the playoffs (not since 93!), I want to see an underdog make it all the way. I loved seeing how fans in Nashville reacted. I don't want to see the same teams from large markets.

Any time the Isles beat the Rangers, it's better than other wins because it shuts up the Ranger fans around here. But this time, it feels like it's a tease. The Isles are still on the outside looking in, and all the teams ahead of them have games in hand. There's also the Ranger Hangover thing, which is sure to be real tonight, because Halak made FIFTY saves again last night, so there's no way he's playing tonight. Greiss would have been waived by any other GM in the league, but since Snow extended him, he's got to stick with him. Snow can't admit mistakes. And I'll admit I thought Greiss could take over the #1 job. But hey, I don't get paid to be a GM. I'm a dumbass fan on the hindernet.

BTW- Anders Lee wrote on Twitter that he can't accept the money from the GofundMe page. He said he appreciates that fans have the right to express their feelings, but Snow drafted and signed him, so there's no way he can accept money, even for a charity event, that comes from people calling for Snow's job. He was far more eloquent than that. He pointed out that all the current Isles were brought in by Snow. I think Lee is missing the point, as that's half of what has fans pissed. lol. Chimera, Ladd, Seidenberg... All guys the fans want off the team. But I get Lee backing his teammates and GM.

I have no idea how the Rangers got 50 shots. The Isles seemed to dominate the game from start to finish. They wound up with 35 shots, most of which seemed like real scoring chances. Halak made some great saves, but I would have never guessed he stopped 50. One save off of the franchise record 51 saves in a shutout by an Isles goalie- Glen Healy vs the Canucks in 1990. And this was the Isles first shutout of the year! That's sad.

Hurricanes tonight. Isles will get their asses handed to them. Greiss will be in net, so they can count on him saving a solid 83% of shots. The Hurricanes got whooped by the Devils last night, so they'll be looking for revenge. Plus, if the Isles win in regulation they would leapfrog the Hurricanes, so I expect the Hurricanes to play with some serious desperation.

And here's a brilliant one- Doug "Dead" Weight all but benched Barzal in the 3rd period. 4 shifts according to one Isles blog. Weight said something like "he’s a talent, but he’s got to be better in his own zone and needs to dump the puck in because this time of year its hard to skate the puck in the ozone."

That’s pretty much saying "Kid, stop being so good. Play more like I did. Forget your ‘skills’ and play a grinding game! Dump it in, and take your 180 lb ass into the corner against that D-man who’s got 5" and 55 lbs on you. Hit him! Didn’t get the puck? Get back up and chase after him, and try to hit him again! No ref is going to call you for hitting from behind if he’s skating away. They will? Okay, then slash him in the leg… But this whole ‘puck control’ and ‘possession’ shit has got to stop. You keep up these possession rates and you’re gonna need an, an, an existentialism (sic) or something. Say it with me kid. Demons. Aren’t. Good. Feel better? Alright, get the water bottles. It’s time to practice some good ol’ Dougy Dumps. No, kid. They’re not in the bathroom. Oh. You were just getting water. Gotcha."

And if you're wondering how Barzal played- he only assisted on all 3 Isles goals...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:59 pm 

Awesome...Dougie is taking out Seidenberg for tonight's tilt against the Hurricanes, which means...

SEBASTIAN AHO

vs.

SEBASTIAN AHO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Tavares, Bailey, Halak and De Haan are all UFAs at season's end? Interesting strategy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:01 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Awesome...Dougie is taking out Seidenberg for tonight's tilt against the Hurricanes, which means...

SEBASTIAN AHO

vs.

SEBASTIAN AHO

I was hoping to see this in the boxscore- 2 Minute Minor; Aho, Sebastian. [Drawn by Aho, Sebastian]. :lol:

E.L. wrote:
Tavares, Bailey, Halak and De Haan are all UFAs at season's end? Interesting strategy.

The "strategy" is called being a shitty GM at this point. Snow has always belittled de Haan's ability and is now making it sound like he lost his top d-man with him out. Bailey, quite frankly, is either the latest bloomer ever, or is simply having a career year in what will undoubtedly be his biggest contract year, ala Jason Blake. Will he be worth the huge contract someone gives him? Nope. But he will be missed when he signs with someone else. It sure as hell doesn't look like Ho-Sang or Dal Colle will be taking his place.
I think everyone assumed Greiss was a legit #1 NHL goalie in the year that they rode him and Tavares to the playoff win vs Florida. Whoooooops. And now that I've been saying they should waive him, he pulls out a 45 save shutout vs the Hurricanes in what could be their biggest game of the year so far. This win tonight puts them back into WC2. Although, it's a rather precarious spot, as CBJ & Carolina are both just 1 point back, with 2 & 1 games in hand respectively. I somehow missed the Flyers jumping way the hell up. They're 4 points ahead of the Isles, with 2 games in hand on them. So it's kind of a BS WC2 spot for now, but hey, they're in it. Jesus- Florida are 8 points back but have SIX games in hand! I can only hope they have a ton of back-to-back games that will wear them down physically. :lol: I really wish the league would do a better job of keeping the # of games played closer. This is just false hope for some fan bases. Do they do that on purpose, or is it really just scheduling around events and such? Or do the standings by points/game so it's clearer.

:shock: Barzal with no points vs the Hurricanes! Oh no!
Tavares' 30th goal will be a fun trivia question down the road, since he didn't really score it. He was hauled down on a breakaway toward an empty net. :lol: He looked kind of annoyed. I wasn't sure if it was because he was hurt on the play or if he didn't want his 30th goal to never really go in. :lol:

Anyway. Isles are home vs the Wild on Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm 

And after his first good game in a long time, Thomas Greiss is put on the IR. He obviously tweaked soemthing in his left left with about 3 minutes to go vs Carolina. He's on the IR now, with Chris Gibson called up. Gibson had 2 shutouts in his last 2 games, but that was 52 shots total. He'd better get used to seeing twice as much rubber if he's going to play for the Isles. Halak will most likely get all the starts while Greiss is out. They've gonly got 3 games in the next week, no back-to-backs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm 

Man, Robin Lehner, Michal Neuvirth, and Jonathan Bernier picked the WORST possible time to have gotten hurt. The market for Mrazek just went waaaaay up.

Reportedly Detroit offered him up to Philly for a 3rd rounder and Hextall refused.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next