OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hamonic to Calgary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hearing it's Hamonic & a 4th for Calgary's 1st next year & 2 2nd round picks. I know the Isles have too many D and would like to clear some cap space, and that's a pretty good amount of picks, but unless Snow flips them for another good forward, I don't like this deal. Hamonic was the one D player they had who would get physical in front of the net. I know goons are out of today's NHL, but you still need someone willing to drop the gloves when someone is abusing your goalie. Strome, who was moved the other day, was one of the few forwards who would stick up for team mates.

Post subject: Re: Hamonic to Calgary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

A top 4 to challenge Nashville: Giordano, Brodie, Dougie, Hamonic

Not as good, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm 

E.L. wrote:
A top 4 to challenge Nashville: Giordano, Brodie, Dougie, Hamonic

Not as good, though.

Pretty good though.

Now Snow needs to turn those picks into someone else to help the Isles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

On the Calgary side, that's a pretty awesome top-four. A shame that it's very likely half of it will sit on IR for a good portion of the season. Oh, and Mike Smith is still their starting goalie, so...

As for the Isles, they got Pelech and Pulock, so losing Hamonic is no big deal. Will they use one or the other as part of a trade?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 am 
King of the One-Liner

Any protection on the 1st?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:37 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Any protection on the 1st?

From the Flames site- We got Travis Hamonic & a 4th rd pick in ’19 or ’20 from NYI for a ’18 1st rd pick, ’18 2nd rd pick & 2nd rd pick in ’19 or ’20.

Pokecheque wrote:
On the Calgary side, that's a pretty awesome top-four. A shame that it's very likely half of it will sit on IR for a good portion of the season. Oh, and Mike Smith is still their starting goalie, so...

As for the Isles, they got Pelech and Pulock, so losing Hamonic is no big deal. Will they use one or the other as part of a trade?

I can't see Snow moving Pulock. They've been very careful with him. Pelech? Maybe. I think they see Pelech as a #4 max, and Pulock as a younger/better Boychuk. I could see them including another D as part of a trade if it's for Galchenyuk or Duchene, which have been rumored. Hamonic was supposedly not part of any discussions between the Isles & Avs. But Sakic wants the world for Duchene (as he should), so that deal is unlikely to happen from everything I've read in the last few days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 am 
King of Men

Where is Butch? He kept telling me the Leafs were going to get Hamonic even after Treliving and Snow were spotted on the draft floor.

Flames are full of young right now....so coughing up some draft picks isn't going to hurt too much. There is still no Mike Vernon or Mikka back there. Wait.......is Ryan Miller still available? Wonder if the Flames could get a deal on him.

I liked what I saw of Michael Stone but he's not a 4 Mil player so it looks like the Flames are cutting bait.

Still have to sign RFA Bennett and Versteeg might be worth a second look for the price.

15 Million in cap space so there is room

Still missing truculence and pugnacity on the Flames roster........the Flames were easy to push around and the bigger west clubs like Anaheim made it look simple. Call me a dinosaur but expecting Bennett or Tkachuk to handle the the rough stuff doesn't seem appropriate. I thought Ferland could have been that guy but he doesn't seem to want to embrace that role on a consistent basis.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 am 
OTP Historian

Tyler Dellow wrote a piece on why the Calgary trade for Hamonic was a great move, based on the probability of getting a player like Hamonic from the draft picks that they traded for him.

https://theathletic.com/70158/2017/06/2 ... nic-trade/

Most of it behind The Athletic paywall, which is well worth the price. They've since added Detroit to the mix after I subscribed a while back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Where is Butch? He kept telling me the Leafs were going to get Hamonic even after Treliving and Snow were spotted on the draft floor.

Flames are full of young right now....so coughing up some draft picks isn't going to hurt too much. There is still no Mike Vernon or Mikka back there. Wait.......is Ryan Miller still available? Wonder if the Flames could get a deal on him.

I liked what I saw of Michael Stone but he's not a 4 Mil player so it looks like the Flames are cutting bait.

Still have to sign RFA Bennett and Versteeg might be worth a second look for the price.

15 Million in cap space so there is room

Still missing truculence and pugnacity on the Flames roster........the Flames were easy to push around and the bigger west clubs like Anaheim made it look simple. Call me a dinosaur but expecting Bennett or Tkachuk to handle the the rough stuff doesn't seem appropriate. I thought Ferland could have been that guy but he doesn't seem to want to embrace that role on a consistent basis.

Oh I dunno, I think the Flames are fine in the "truculence" department. Pursuing that sort of thing can be a mistake, as illustrated by Treliving's boss once signing guys like Colby Armstrong and Colton Orr to multi-year deals. And I think it's quite telling the Flames decided to leave Troy Brouwer unprotected for the expansion draft this year. The back-to-back Stanley Cup champs for some weird reason decided to give up a first rounder for a guy who averages 8 minutes a night max even though they never needed a player like that during either of their Cup runs.

Believe me I had to witness what happens when a team makes itself too soft all last year, but more glaring than the lack of toughness in Colorado was the lack of speed. In Calgary they had the problem of a fantastic top three on the defensive depth chart and absolute garbage beyond that. That problem's been solved and then some.

IMO, and mind you I haven't seen a ton of Flames games, Calgary could use just a little more skill up front. That center corps is good but not great, not a contender yet. Maybe find one more scoring threat on the wings. Either way they need more offense. The Flames ranked exactly 17th in the league in Goals For and Goals Against. So obviously they need better goaltending too.

Lastly...still puzzled as all hell on the Gulutzan hiring. Maybe he proves me wrong this year, but if he doesn't, he's as good as fired, and Treliving is in big trouble as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am 

So far the trade has not paid off at all for Calgary. Even in a middle-pairing role Hamonic has struggled. I read an article on The Athletic about how the bottom kinda dropped out of Hamonic's defensive game last year and it's on pace to be as bad if not worse this year. Guess Snow picked a good time to bail. Now he's just gotta parlay those picks into players. Seeing as how the Isles do better with lower-round picks than higher ones that's a relatively safe bet. :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm 
Big in Japan

So Alzner's kinda shitting the bed in MTL too, unsurprisingly. The logical explanation is that Alzner and Hamonic are defensive players with a lot of miles on them and they're slowing down, unable to catch up with the increasingly speedy pace of play.

Buuuuuuut to play Devil's Advocate, Pierre McGuire said on Montreal sports radio yesterday that it's not uncommon for defensive defencemen to struggle on new teams because they try to do too much initially to prove they can still play. Of course, stable defencemen are better the less they do. He said Ryan Suter was lousy his first 30-40 games in Minny until he said in a postgame scrum that he was doing too much and needed to simplify his game. He's been ok ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
So far the trade has not paid off at all for Calgary. Even in a middle-pairing role Hamonic has struggled. I read an article on The Athletic about how the bottom kinda dropped out of Hamonic's defensive game last year and it's on pace to be as bad if not worse this year. Guess Snow picked a good time to bail. Now he's just gotta parlay those picks into players. Seeing as how the Isles do better with lower-round picks than higher ones that's a relatively safe bet. :laugh:

Agreed all around. A lot of Isles fans wanted him gone last year. Especially once it came out that Hamonic for Hall was a real discussion that Snow balked at. But others love Hamonic the guy, and all the things he did around the community. And he was a good player on their blueline during some very lean years.
I hope he gets his game back. I am one of those who really likes him as a person.