OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm 
Big in Japan

One for one swap. One's a smallish "heart and soul" guy on the decline, the other has untapped potential he may not reach.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chiarelli apparently has a thing for the Isles 1st round busts. Don't be surprised if Dal Colle ends up in Edmonton soon.

I've never been a big Eberle fan, but that at least gives Tavares another weapon on the right side, something they desperately needed last season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yeah, a potential never-will-be for a potential has-been. Eberle's numbers have generally been better than Strome's, but Strome's got better with Weight than with Capuano. But they didn't last that way, so maybe it was just more inconsistency from the Prince of Inconsistency.

I hope both guys do well with their new teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:38 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't love this deal for either side.

The Isles already have some weird long-term deals in the books (Ladd, Czikas, Clutter) and now they've added a $6M AAV for two years. But if Tavares is happy to be reunited with his WJC buddy, then perhaps its worth it.

Would the Oilers have been better off grabbing one of New York's dmen? Strome can work as a low-cost winger to ride with Leon or Connor, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
I don't love this deal for either side.

The Isles already have some weird long-term deals in the books (Ladd, Czikas, Clutter) and now they've added a $6M AAV for two years. But if Tavares is happy to be reunited with his WJC buddy, then perhaps its worth it.

Would the Oilers have been better off grabbing one of New York's dmen? Strome can work as a low-cost winger to ride with Leon or Connor, I suppose.

In a vacuum, taking on the additional $3.5 million is bad, but they had just traded Grabovski's $5 million the day before, which I presume, was done to help make room for this and possibly Duchene. At least, that is Snow's reported plan. As of now the Isles have 13 forwards, 6 D and only TWO goalies(!!!) with $5.5 million in cap space. However, they still need to sign De Haan (RFA).

I'm bored, so...
Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Beauvillier-Quine-Chimera
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Prince
Ho-Sang should make it again, and I could easily see Barzal taking over for Quine out of camp.
If they're to make a trade for Duchene, I could see something like a forward & a D going back to the Avs.

Leddy-Boychuk
De Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Pulock
Seidenberg/Pelech/Mayfield

Halak/Greiss.

Ho-Sang, Pulock, & Barzal are all likely replacements for several players on the roster, and all make $863,333 this year. That's actually a step up from a few of the lower tier players. Quine makes $612k, Prince $850k. Pelech is an RFA.

Minor league goalies Gibson & Williams are both RFAs as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 am 
OTP Clown

I like this deal for the Isles.

I think that Jordan rekindles the magic with Johnno.