OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

It's official- Luke Richardson is brought on.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 pm 

If Snow didn't call Francois Allaire to replace Dunham, he should not only be fired, but tarred and feathered.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 pm 

Larry Robinson has left his post with the Sharks and there are rumors the Isles are talking to him. I'm sure 29 other teams are as well (you're thinking I forgot Vegas, but no, just excluding the Sharks since he just left). He'd be a huge help to the Isles D. He doesn't want to travel with a team, but wants to be a sort of special D consultant, going to training camp and then being called in when needed if a guy needs help in a certain area. He could do the latter with every team if he wants to remain a sort of mercenary.

There are also rumors the Isles are looking to bring Scott Gomez into the fold as some sort of coach. I have no idea wtf he could do for them. "Here's how to handle the 1 year anniversary of your last goal!"

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
There are also rumors the Isles are looking to bring Scott Gomez into the fold as some sort of coach. I have no idea wtf he could do for them. "Here's how to handle the 1 year anniversary of your last goal!"

Gomez could probably help the PP, maybe some skills development and defensive stuff(I seem to recall his defense being lauded earlier in his career). He also sounds like a hilarious dude that could be a great assistant coach if he can communicate.

Ask Bruce about him in the AHL.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am 

Bosc wrote:
Ask Bruce about him in the AHL.

He'll get to it right after the 01-02 goalie profiles.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:34 pm 

Got tix to an Isles-Rangers pre-season game in Bridgeport. About the same seats we had when my wife yelled at Brodeur years ago and he reacted. :lol: Maybe Lundqvist will get caught in a sibling sex scandal by then...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Gomez indeed named assistant coach.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Weight and Gomez...who's the next elite passer to join? Adam Oates?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Weight and Gomez...who's the next elite passer to join? Adam Oates?

Supposedly talking to both Larry Robinson & Kelly Buchberger. I didn't see either play enough to know their passing talent level, but I'd take a team coached by 4 guys with over 1000 games each, and ranging like 40 years of playing, if not more. Sure, Robinson would only be a part timer, but he'd be good to have around.

I actually like the Gomez hiring. I think he can help the PP tremendously, which they really need!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am 

They've been fixed now, but yesterday someone changed Matt Duchene's wikipedia page to say he was on the Isles, and Hamonic's to say he was on the Avalanche. Nothing like completely fabricating a trade you want. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:49 am 
Big in Japan

Isles dealing a defenceman before the expansion draft makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Isles dealing a defenceman before the expansion draft makes a lot of sense.

Yes & no. They're almost sure to lose either De Haan or Hickey, as they'll likely protect Boychuk (have to), Leddy, Hamonic & Pulock. So then if they expose the remaining guys, and they'll likely have 2 less d-men going into next season.
As of now they have:
Boychuk-Leddy
Hamonic-De Haan
Pulock-Hickey
Seidenberg-Mayfield
Pelech.

Those in bold are very green, if not considered rookies.
Those in italics are at least starting to show signs of age.
So sure, they could move 1 for an NHL player, but then they'd have to protect that player also. So trade Hamonic & only protect 3 D? Boychuk, Leddy & Pulock, then 5 forwards? You still lose one of the D who'd originally be exposed anyway. They're going to lose a decent player no matter what. I guess maybe they'll be better off losing Hickey or De Haan than a 20 goal scorer in Nelson.
Protected lists coming soon anyway, so we'll all know. Um, yay?

In other news, their pre-season schedule is out. First game is vs the Flyers at the Nassau Coliseum. Should be interesting to see how the place is for hockey. Much too small to be their "new" arena though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:14 pm 

Isles are supposed to be bringing on Kelly Buchberger July 1st, after his contract with the Oilers expires. This makes things interesting because the Isles are supposedly in talks to trade for Eberle, who was known to butt heads with Buchberger in Edmonton. Maybe it had to do with the Oilers system or something that could change in NY, but it would be pretty weird to trade for a guy who is known to not get along with one of the coaches you're bringing in.

Isles are also supposed to still be involved in talks for Duchene. That started in November according to Friedman. 7 months of negotiating a trade? Sounds like it'll never happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am 
Big in Japan

Isles protect 5 D, and none of them are Calvin de Haan!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 am 

E.L. wrote:
Isles protect 5 D, and none of them are Calvin de Haan!

protected list: Tavares, Ladd, Lee, Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic, Pelech, Pulock, Greiss.

I've read elsewhere that the Isles are sending a 1st round pick in exchange for McPhee not taking certain Isles. I can only assume that De Haan is on that list. If not, I have no idea wtf Snow was thinking. Pelech??? He's a good young d-man, but not worth protecting. Unless Pelech was a piece Snow has in place for a trade, this makes little sense. But it's the Isles, so that's nothing new.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If I'm McPhee, I'm all about the Brock.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Based on how things shook out, one has to assume Snow has a deal in place to keep one, two or all of Brock, Bailey, Strome and de Haan in the fold. And yeah, I don't get the Pelech thing either.

It'll cost Snow more than a 1st, I would think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Based on how things shook out, one has to assume Snow has a deal in place to keep one, two or all of Brock, Bailey, Strome and de Haan in the fold. And yeah, I don't get the Pelech thing either.

It'll cost Snow more than a 1st, I would think.

Isles scouts supposedly spent the least amount of time at the combine, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few picks being given. McPhee knows the Isles very well since he was Snow's assistant for a while. But yeah, this whole thing is just too weird. I couldn't see McPhee laying off all of those guys unless he got quite a few of Snow's picks. Sure they're probably friends, but you don't keep your job by being nice.

We'll find out in 2 days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm 

I'm reading it's a 1st and Grabovski. Is Grabovski just dead cap space at this point? One more year remaining on his current deal at $6 million ($5 mil AAV).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

This season's gonna be interesting. If they fail to get a commitment from Tavares, then I imagine the Isles will pull the plug. And won't THAT be something after so many years of futility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next