OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I read it's a 1st and Grabovski, with the stipulation that McPhee takes Kulemin. Grabovski hasn't played in 15 months. He was cleared for light athletic activity like 6 months ago and quickly stopped due to dizziness. I'd say he's done. If this rumor is true, that takes $9.187 million off their payroll, which is quite a huge chunk of change. Possibly enough cap space to pull off both Duchene and Eberle, or some big UFA signings. As of now they have a little over $4 million in space, and 14 forwards (including the aforementioned Grabovski and Kulemin).

Also heard today the Isles are looking to sell 15% ownership and aren't getting any takers. I'd imagine that small a share isn't desirable, and the arena & Tavares situations aren't either.

And I still think Tavares will sign.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@DarrenDreger
Hearing Eberle trade to the Islanders is close or has happened. Details to follow. Players being notified.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 pm 

Isles goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin extended his KHL contract for 3 more years.

Garth Snow has yet to draft a goalie who turned into an NHL regular. Or, Dunham has yet to train an Isles drafted goalie into an NHL regular. Either way, this is shit.

It could be a bunch of things. KHL players will likely be in the Olympics, where NHL players won't. He can make a lot more in the KHL than the AHL, where he'd likely be at first. At least as of now he's a star in the KHL and wouldn't be guaranteed an NHL spot, at least not without re-creating a 3-headed goalie monster.

So, the long-awaited savior in funny pads won't be over for a while. Soderstrom, you're now the future in funny pads and a cape. And no, I don't mean Tommy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles sign Latvian G Kristers Gudlevskis to a 2-way deal. Only 24, flashed some potential during his time in TB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
Isles sign Latvian G Kristers Gudlevskis to a 2-way deal. Only 24, flashed some potential during his time in TB.

Gives a good option for 3rd string. Also brought back Christopher Gibson, who is also pretty good. Bridgeport should be a lot better this year, if Gibson can stay healthy.

The Oilanders also made it official and brought in Kelly Buchberger as an assistant coach, and Fred Brathwaite as new goalie coach. Thank the hockey gods that Dunham is gone. But the strong Oilers connection is very 90s Rangers. Greg Cronin, whose work with the D has been horrible the last 2 years, has moved to associate coach. So he won't be on the ice or bench, but he's getting paid to consult. or something... Must be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 pm 

Isles sign D Adam Pelech to a 4 year deal worth $1.6/year. He's never going to top a 5th D, so it's a pretty good deal. He looked very solid in his own zone at times, and a little lost at times. I just hope they play him over Seidenberg most of the time. Although it's still possible they make another deal.

As of now:
Leddy-Boychuk
De Haan- Pulock
Hickey-Pelech
Seidenberg-Mayfield-Toews (Devon, not related to Jonathan). Toews will start in Bridgeport, but looked great there last year and will likely be the first call up should one be needed.
De Haan has an arbitration hearing Aug 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

NHL Radio guys today were saying that the Isles would have to be absolutely INSANE to trade Tavares, but I don't see how they could just wait out the season if he isn't going to commit and then likely lose him for nothing.

Either way, if they aren't successful this year, Snow is a goner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
NHL Radio guys today were saying that the Isles would have to be absolutely INSANE to trade Tavares, but I don't see how they could just wait out the season if he isn't going to commit and then likely lose him for nothing.

Either way, if they aren't successful this year, Snow is a goner.

I'm not worried about it yet. I think he'll sign. The arena situation is probably pissing him off, like everyone else. Hopefully Ledecky & Malkin make it clear to him that they're working on a good, permanent solution. They brought in his buddy Eberle. They kept Weight, who he really likes. Hopefully he's seeing signs of the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm 

Where do you think Pulock fits in? I feel like he's being counted on to somehow make up for what was lost with Hamonic?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:18 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Where do you think Pulock fits in? I feel like he's being counted on to somehow make up for what was lost with Hamonic?

I think they're looking to Pulock to replace more than Hamonic's offense and some of his defense. Pulock's shot is a fucking rocket and he's learned to use it well, no longer just shooting every time he gets the puck. He's learned to pick his spots, fake shots to get defenders to peel off to make time, etc. He's also faking shots to open up passing lanes. He should be a big improvement on the PP. He's not as good or nearly as physical as Hamonic, but he was learning D a lot better. I think he's a little faster than Hamonic. Both seem kind of injury prone though, so we'll see if he can actually stay healthy for any real length of time.

Conor Jones signed to another 2 way deal and will start the year in Bridgeport. Good player, great guy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:02 am 

Isles & De Haan avoid arbitration. Rumor is he was looking for 5 years, $25 million and the Isles were offering 1 year at $1.95 million, which was basically a qualifying offer. They settled on 1 year $3.33 million. Not a great move by Snow, since De Haan is a UFA next year. Hopefully he'll sign an extension during this year. He's too good to lose over not paying him closer to what he wanted.
De Haan was interviewed and said he's happy to be back and said he is sure Tavares will re-sign.

Isles are supposedly back in on Duchene. That'll change by noon. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 pm 

Stephen Gionta signed to a 1 year/2-way deal. $650k in NHL, $225 in AHL. Decent depth, but requires waivers when sent down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Stephen Gionta signed to a 1 year/2-way deal. $650k in NHL, $225 in AHL. Decent depth, but requires waivers when sent down.

Why not get Brian at this point?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Why not get Brian at this point?

Why not?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm 

I guess Brian wouldn't accept a 2-way contract.

I tell ya what, if all the current unsigned vets retire the 2020 Hockey Hall of Fame class is gonna be EPIC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:52 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I guess Brian wouldn't accept a 2-way contract.

I tell ya what, if all the current unsigned vets retire the 2020 Hockey Hall of Fame class is gonna be EPIC.

Good point.

I wouldn't mind the Isles making Jagr an offer. He's played for almost every other team in the Metro. Why not? He's pretty close to some big milestones, and may put asses in seats, which is certainly a problem at Barclays. The people might not be able to see once they're in those seats, but they'll have bought tickets.

Isles are supposedly trying to get the Sound Tigers out of their lease during a fight with the city of Bridgeport. The end game being moving them to the Coliseum to somewhat mollify the angry fan base who won't go to Brooklyn to see games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 pm 

Shane Prince had surgery to address a high ankle sprain he played through most of this year and tried to rehab all summer long, to no avail. He'll be out 4-6 months. Gionta & Quine are doing a secret happy dance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 pm 

Jason Chimera hurt his hamstring working out. No word on recovery timeline.

Chris Terreri brought in as goalie development coach. In other words, he'll split time between Bridgeport and Worcester. I originally wondered why the strong Devils ties (Gomez and Terreri) to go along with all the Oilers (Weight, Buchberger, Richardson, Brathwaite), but then I was reminded that Terreri played 2 whole games for the Isles. So there's that! Bringing former players back! YEAHHH! Because I'm sure there are like 12 people who remember him playing with the Isles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am 

Rumor is Mike Bossy said on a radio show that the Isles offered Tavares 8 years at $10.5 million and Tavares said no. I'm not sure if Bossy would really know that info or why he'd say it if he did know it. Resulting rumor is that Tavares is mostly interested in the arena situation, as he hates Barclays. Isles owners are supposedly putting in a proposal to develop the Belmont Park property with a new arena. We'll see!

EDIT- info from some people who know better than internet rumors: https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2017/8 ... mont-arena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 pm 

Jordan Eberle skated with a bunch of Isles yesterday and was quoted saying he feels totally rejuvenated and is really excited for the season.

Predictable fluff, but still positive predictable fluff. :mulletbutch:

Tavares was quoted saying his contract situation is complicated. He didn't elaborate, but everyone thinks that means the arena. Isles are supposedly the front runner to win the bid to develop Belmont Park. New arena would likely be usable about 3-4 years into Tavares' next contract. some are saying they'd return to the low capacity Coliseum in the mean time. Who knows?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next