OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Makes one yearn for the comparative stability and guaranteed mediocrity of the Wang years, doesn't it?

OK, maybe not, but Tavares is going nowhere this season, I think. They'll play it out Stamkos-style.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Makes one yearn for the comparative stability and guaranteed mediocrity of the Wang years, doesn't it?

OK, maybe not, but Tavares is going nowhere this season, I think. They'll play it out Stamkos-style.

My fear is the development approval gets dragged out in the political arena, and he says Fuck New York, and leaves. Even worse- after the Isles don't trade him... If he walks for free, I think I'll stop watching hockey. Not that I want them to trade him. I keep hoping he'll keep his word that he wants to play his whole career with the Isles, but every day I believe that less.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think he leaves, but won't be terribly surprised if he stays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:12 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I think he leaves,

Wash your mouth out with hedgehog pee!

People are flipping the fuck out that Ho-Sang is going to wear custom skates- http://www.bardown.com/josh-ho-sang-unv ... n-1.849334

I would never wear such things, but people really need to get the fuck over this BS about how hockey players need to all be personality-less drones. Do people flip the fuck out that goalies paint their masks? Wear custom pads? Or wear #1, 30, 31, 35... Why should position players have to be clones?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:37 pm 

I'm surprised more players don't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm surprised more players don't do that.

What? Custom skates? I think it'll start catching on a little. Although, there will be so many who think it's looking for attention and other "old tyme hockey" type quotes. I wonder why these guys don't want to stick with old tyme hockey paychecks? Funny how they'll make exceptions there. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm 

Eh...seems no different than custom goalie helmets to me. I mean, I'm guessing NHLers, especially higher-paid ones, have custom-made skates anyway. I know the ones they made for Peter Forsberg to try and fix his ongoing ankle issues probably cost a fortune.

In any event it's not like it's that visible to begin with. Ovechkin's gold laces stand out way more than something like that would...

I'm sure the old-school folks have a thing or nine to say about it, but I don't mind Ho-Sang doing this. He can be as showy and cocky as he wants IMO so long as he backs it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Eh...seems no different than custom goalie helmets to me. I mean, I'm guessing NHLers, especially higher-paid ones, have custom-made skates anyway. I know the ones they made for Peter Forsberg to try and fix his ongoing ankle issues probably cost a fortune.

In any event it's not like it's that visible to begin with. Ovechkin's gold laces stand out way more than something like that would...

I'm sure the old-school folks have a thing or nine to say about it, but I don't mind Ho-Sang doing this. He can be as showy and cocky as he wants IMO so long as he backs it up.

Agreed all around. Seems people will yell about anything this kid does, so he should do whatever he feels like doing. Then, back it up with points.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm 

I'm not bothering to start a pre-season thread, but in actual hockey, the Isles rookies beat the Flyers rookies last night, 4-3 in OT. Isles were down 3-1 with less than 5 minutes to go in the game. Well done kids.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:40 pm 

Isles played a pre-season game at the remodeled Coliseum. Tavares won it in OT (of course), and the place went crazy. Some fans are begging the team to come back, others are saying the "remodel" was little more than putting wood paneling over the old gray concrete, and removing food stands and seats to make the concourse a little wider.

Tavares told Ledecky to get out to the tailgating outside, and to walk around and meet people. he did! Loads of people got photos with him, and talked to him about the team, a new arena, and of course Tavares' contract. Ledecky said they're still "learning the FRP process", so they'll get a proposal in closer to the Sept 28th deadline. Typical Isles- waiting til the last minute to do their homework. :lol:

A bunch of vets played in this game, because it was at the Coliseum. Or whatever the hell it's called now. NYCB Live or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 am 

Isles lost 1-0 to the Rangers in OT the other night. Nelson scored for the Isles, but the play had been whistled down because a Ranger crosschecked Mayfield, and Mayfield got called for the retaliation slash. Oh well. Pre-season.
Notes on the game- Kieffer Bellows must have been wearing an invisibility cloak, because I didn't notice the kid all night. Bummer.
Josh Ho-Sang has "it". The kid was purposely going right at Rangers, getting in close, and burning them. Made a lot of guys look really stupid. I know it's pre-season, with vets not ready yet, and also a bunch of guys headed to the minors or juniors, but he did it to everyone. Looked great. Made the PP much more exciting.
Halak looked great, but he also did during the World Cup last year, then sucked early for the Isles. Don't do that again!
All the Isles are saying they know they have to get off to a good start this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 am 

Not that it really matters, but the Isles beat the Flyers in regulation at Barclays, and lost to the Flyers in OT in Philly.

They're playing the Rangers in Bridgeport Friday night, and I'm going. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 pm 

Doug Weight asked if Barzal has done enough to make the team- Weight said yes. :mulletbutch:

He had a hell of a goal vs the Devils last night. True, former awful Isles D-man Brian Strait tripped over the red line while watching the play, but he was nowhere near Barzal anyway...

Seen a few stories that say the Isles are really counting on Barzal & Ho-Sang to bring some speed & skill.
Also seen several that highlight how well Tavares & Eberle have been together. YAY!

Real hockey is coming, and it can't get here soon enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 am 
OTP Historian

This could be a really entertaining squad to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 am 

Bosc wrote:
This could be a really entertaining squad to watch.

Yeah, I'm psyched for the season. I don't know how well they'll do, since the Metro is stacked, but they should have fun games. If only points were awarded for entertainment value.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm 

Barzal with 3 assists Friday night vs Buffalo. Awesome game.

Devon Toews recalled for today's game vs the Flyers. Rumors of a trade.... But I think it's more likely that someone has a nagging injury.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:26 am 

Isles go 6-0-2 in the pre-season, which of course is the kiss of death.

24 skaters still in camp, and a revolutionary idea, only 2 goalies!

So 3 skaters have to be sent down. Toews is the only D who doesn't require waivers, so I imagine he'll go. Neither Leddy nor Boychuk played last night, so Toews was filling in for one of them. I hope the other players to go down would be Gionta and Bernier, but I have a bad feeling it may not be. Sure, both require waivers, but I don't see anyone picking either of them up. They're nice long term injury insurance, but neither is going to set the ice on fire. Bernier will fight a bit, which is something the Isles could use since Hamonic was about the only guy last year willing to protect his teammates, but not at the cost of sending down Ho-Sang, Barzal or Beauvillier, all of whom have had good camps.

Real games start Friday. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm 

Isles have sent D. Toews back to Bridgeport, and waived Gionta and Bernier. They are doing exactly what all fans are saying should be done. What will fans complain about???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

SHould be a very fun team to watch with the Lee-Tavares-Eberle line and with Ho-Sang and Barzal in the mix. If one of the goalies steps up and takes over this should be a good team. Division is so tough though damn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 am 

hammer wrote:
SHould be a very fun team to watch with the Lee-Tavares-Eberle line and with Ho-Sang and Barzal in the mix. If one of the goalies steps up and takes over this should be a good team. Division is so tough though damn.

Agreed all around. You can't be mediocre in the Metro and make it to the playoffs.
Isles players and coaches have said they know they can't have a slow start like last year.

So as of now, lines likely look like this:

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey
Beauvillier-Nelson-Ho Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Chimera

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Pulock
Seidenberg-Hickey

Pelech
Mayfield

Halak
Greiss

Prince & Quine on IR. Both require waivers to be sent down, as do all the D. Only players who don't are Barzal, Beauvillier and Ho-Sang, all of whom looked really good in camp.

Capfriendly lists Tavares as the Captain, with Ladd, Eberle & Clutterbuck all as Alternates. I guess it'll be something like Clutterbuck at home and Eberle on the road. Capfriendly also shows them having $2.77 million in cap space but for some reason don't have Barzal on the roster. He will make $863,333.