OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:13 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

If Darryl Sutter wasn't available, I'd be incredibly psyched about Doug Weight returning as fully entitled head coach. But Sutter is available and the Isles apparently didn't even call him. Shame. The other real problem I have with this is that it strongly indicates Snow is not going to be fired, as a GM on the way out wouldn't be allowed to hire the next coach.

As for Weight himself, I loved the job he did. They went 24-12-4 under him, and went from the basement to missing the playoffs by a single fucking point (yes, I'll probably keep mentioning that shitty fact). The players seemed to really respond to him, and supposedly exit interviews had a lot to do with him being brought back as HC. Everyone had nothing but praise and respect for him. Capuano was 17-17-8 before being let go. Weight had no Tavares the last 5 games (all wins), no Halak for most of his time, Berube as his backup (who he clearly didn't trust, and with good reason), and no trade deadline acquisition to bolster the mediocre roster. In short, he outcoached Capuano by a mile.

Now, about the PK and PP coaches... Time to replace them!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 am 
Big in Japan

If Tavares is happy, then the Isles should be happy. Pretty much their big goal now is convincing JT to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:12 am 

E.L. wrote:
If Tavares is happy, then the Isles should be happy. Pretty much their big goal now is convincing JT to stay.

He's been saying all along he wants to stay. He does like Weight, a lot, so I think it may help him sign an 8 year deal. The biggest thing with JT is that they really need to sign a legit 1st line winger for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am 
Big in Japan

Dal Colle-Tavares-Ho Sang?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Dal Colle-Tavares-Ho Sang?

Ho-Sang I could see. He was really fun to watch, and quite a change from the usual Isles type player. Dal Colle didn't exactly light up Bridgeport. We'll see what kind of camp he has. His shot is still awesome, but his play away from the puck isn't great. He can't seem to get open or make space for himself, from what I've seen & read. He's still got time to figure it out.

Barzal should make a good challenge for a spot next year. Still think he got shafted by Capuano this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 am 

Weight interviewed. https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/six- ... -289367672

Says he's going to replace a few people around him (assuming assistant coaches).
Says the Isles have TWO great goalies, hinting the 3-headed monster will be slain!
Talks about making training camp tougher, and encouraging more internal competition.
Hints that Beauvillier, Barzal, Ho-Sang and Pulock will have spots on the Isles' roster. That's very good news, vs the Capuano era, when kids were seen as akin to toe fungus.

He says all the right things to me. Yay!